Healthy Paws Massive Rate Increase

seeh2o

I'm confused about the last bit. You do get a discount if you insure multiple dogs with them so the rate should be lower if you are an existing client. We're they offering the $40 as a quote for a new sign up, or for you because you already have a dog that's insured with them?

I'm going to email them, but I have to dig up my communication with the CEO who assured me the larger rate increase I got the first year was a one time thing.

Bit this at least seems to be an indication that yours wasn't increased because of your claims.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine went from $91.54 to $116.59 for Jasper and Jack. Jasper's meds are more than that each month so I'm not complaining. Jack almost never has issues so if I only had him I would be very unhappy! It's probably dogs like Jasper that are causing everyone to get the large increases.

Lynn

Missing Pepper,Magic,Kahlua, Hobbit Ziggy Jasper and Bella

So don't quote me on this, but when you add pets the policy renewals all happen together. I had Violet for a year before Skye so they were signed up at different times, but their policies both renew together. I don't remember the full explanation, just that the first time it happened I was confused and contacted them.

This is correct. The policy renews based on the date the policy was first opened, even if those dogs are no longer with you.

We had an increase on our policy this year, then moved a few miles away to a different zip code and saw a second increase. We have the most expensive plan ($100 deductible with 90% coverage) so we pay $150/mo for our two dogs.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Here is the correspondence about the discrepancy in quotes (as a new client my quote was $40+, as an existing customer my quote for the exact same dog, same address, same everything was $59+), below is the email I received. I responded in the affirmative, took Barney in for a physical, have yet to hear back from them:

"After some research I learned that there is a new pricing program for premiums available in your state. For most people, this new program would make premiums higher for them. However in your case, it looks like we could get you a much better rate for your kiddos by moving your account to the new program.
I got a quote for Barney for a $500 annual deductible and 90% reimbursement at $40.42 on this new program. Screenshot attached. (I used 9/1/2014 as his birthday, even though the screen says age 3)
I would more than happy to go ahead and add Barney to your policy, or go over any other questions you may have. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Have a great day!"

This is the response (which says a lot of nothing) when I asked about the 37% rate increase:

"Thank you so much for choosing Healthy Paws Pet Insurance to protect your furry loved ones!

Our records show Bowie was enrolled on 6/24/2014, you received an email with the date 11/5/2011 because that is when your policy itself was created for your previous furry friends.

We understand that premium increases can be a stress financially. Our goal is to keep our premiums as low as possible while still providing comprehensive coverage. Your monthly bill is going up because, during the past few years there was an overall increase in the frequency of high-value treatments such as cruciate ligament surgeries, cancer treatments including chemotherapy, and foreign body exploratory surgeries performed by veterinarians (most of which can range anywhere from $3,000-$14,000). These rate increases ensure that we can continue to provide nose-to-tail coverage for the life of your pet.

This premium adjustment allows you and Bowie continued access to the best veterinarian care. That’s why our pet parents who have benefitted from the Healthy Paws plan continue to rate us the #1 pet health insurance provider."

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Yeah, basically veterinary costs are going up overall and so are their costs as a result. No kidding. :rolleyes:

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well, at least they said ultimately why, not unlike car insurance rates in certain areas. Their enrolment dates and how they "pro-rate" depending on the number of dogs in the house is a little odd. Would it be worth it to switch to a different company?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 11 months later...

And now notification of a 50% increase for two dogs, one is 4 the other 5, and not one claim submitted. I've emailed them and am now shopping for companies. #healthpaws

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, NeylasMom said:

The CEO reached out to me and explained why and assured me it wouldn't always be like that. So when I saw last years I wasn't thrilled. Increases happen on your policy renewal so we're due for another one soon. If ours is high again I will be contacting them.

Would you share his email address with me, please?  I am getting ready to switch to PetsBest and want him to know why before I do it.  I hate to do it, but I can't deal with the rate increase that's supposed to take effect this month.  

19 hours ago, seeh2o said:

Would you share his email address with me, please?  I am getting ready to switch to PetsBest and want him to know why before I do it.  I hate to do it, but I can't deal with the rate increase that's supposed to take effect this month.  

I don't have contact info as he called me. My rate increase this time is really high again, 36%, pushing me from $108/mo for two dogs to $148. I am pissed. But I'm locked in because of the pre-existing conditions issue. I am going to try to escalate my complaint this time though. 

Just kidding, he did email me to thank me for taking his call and I still had it. He's one of the two co-founders, Robert Jackson. Email is rob@healthypawspetinsurance.com. No idea if that's still accurate as this was back in 2012. 

Keep us posted on any response you get. I need to look back and collect all of my rate increases since that conversation before I reach out. 

They also reported massive increase in claims overall the past two years with ligament injuries going through the roof. I know they have been there for both our angel Stewie who’s last bill was large due to the extensive tests and eventual euthanasia. They also have paid out for our little Chipin who had a ligament injury and surgery this year. Really and truly it’s piece of mind for me now as they have always paid once they all their paperwork as like was stated earlier, vet costs are rising rapidly.

No matter the bill, having a big hike sucks but insurance these days no matter the type is crazy expensive.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks, Jen!  I'll keep you posted on what I hear from him, you do the same, too, please!

I had a very interesting call with ASPCA pet insurance, they actually gave me their set rate increases for each age.  If anyone is interested, I'll post it as I did write it down.  It's steep enough that I decided not to go with them.  I had been considering them over over Pets Best.    

I would love to see them if you don't mind posting, thanks!

1 hour ago, NeylasMom said:

I would love to see them if you don't mind posting, thanks!

Sure!

Rate increases start after age 3 and go up from 6% - 20% until age 13

@7 years 20%, 8 years 16.7%, 9 years 14.3%, 10 years 12.5%; 11 years 11.1%, 12 years 12.5%, 13 years no increase, 14 years 11.1%, 15 years no increase.

Those are some pretty hefty increases, especially cumulatively.

And yet, still nothing like what HP has done multiple times.

Well, the plot thickens.  I have an email from April 2017 stating that I had a 15% discount applied to my account because of my workplace.  I and a friend who has HP, called to see if our discount was still current.  Hers was, mine was not.  I was told that it had never been applied.  They saw the email that was sent to me stating that it had been applied. 

What are the odds that they will 1) honor the discount and/or 2) retro my over payments to them for the last 31 months?  It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

I heard back from what I believe to be "Patrick" who wrote me before and he wrote me right away.  Never addressed the issue of the 15% discount, but he was quick to point out how much I have sent to them in claims and how much they have reimbursed me since 2011.  I was impressed how quickly he responded, was not impressed with his response.  I don't think they want me as a customer any more, given the last part of his email:

Thank you for your feedback. I do empathize with the position you are in, as I have two dogs of my own who mean so much to me. Their care is extremely important to me and a decision like yours would be very difficult for me to process.

In the time that you have been with us, the pet insurance industry has changed and grown significantly. Pet parents, who in the past may not have been able to afford life saving or altering treatments for their pets now have the ability and choice to do so. Of course, with the increased usage of the insurance, premiums have had to increase to meet those increased needs. We do try very hard to keep our rates affordable while also continuing to provide unlimited lifetime coverage.

However, this unlimited coverage does require us to ensure that we maintain as much of a balance as possible between the incoming premiums against the outgoing reimbursements. With the higher cost of available care in California, comes the unfortunate higher cost of premiums over time. As you indicated, you have been a valued member of Healthy Paws for many years and in that time we have helped cover over $34,000 in claims and have provided over $27,000 in reimbursements for you and your furry family.

I hope that during your research, you will find that even with the increased monthly premiums, Healthy Paws still provides a level of service and coverage above that of the other companies. To help you in your research, I have included a few websites that provide a comparison of the various coverage options available.

If after performing your research, you decide that you would prefer to go with another company, you can follow the link below to cancel your policy or you can respond to either of my emails and I will help you through that process.

As I indicated previously, I am open and available to discuss this further with you, either over the phone or through email. I truly am sorry for any difficulties that this situation has placed on you. Please let me know if there is anything further that I can do.
Edited by seeh2o

I just signed up with Prudent Pet. Healthy Paws has jumped the shark. They've outsourced their customer service overseas, over paid one of my friends, keep denying my other friend's claim (she took both her dogs in, submitted claims wish were clearly separated by soon on the invoice) because they keep mixing the claims up. She asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they couldn't find one, but they would "make an appointment" for her to speak with one. What sad decline of a once really great company.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a 50% increase with the same email explanation: Your Healthy Paws policy provides ongoing access to veterinary treatment. To continue to offer your benefits, your monthly premium will have a change for the renewal policy period beginning in 60 days as shown below. Your rates never increase for filing a claim.

Policy Information
• Protected Since: 01/02/2019
• Current Monthly Premium: $60.71
• New Monthly Premium Starting in 60 Days: $91.06

38 minutes ago, kentjacobson said:

I just got a 50% increase with the same email explanation: Your Healthy Paws policy provides ongoing access to veterinary treatment. To continue to offer your benefits, your monthly premium will have a change for the renewal policy period beginning in 60 days as shown below. Your rates never increase for filing a claim.

Policy Information
• Protected Since: 01/02/2019
• Current Monthly Premium: $60.71
• New Monthly Premium Starting in 60 Days: $91.06

That's nuts!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I received a 29% increase on my policy today for my 2 year old border terrier and was absolutely horrified. This follows a 19% increase last year. I don't even want to imagine what the rates will be like 5-6 years from now. I e-mailed them and am awaiting a response, but plan to cancel if they don't come back with something more reasonable. Will just plan to put the money into a savings fund for my dog. 

I wonder if these 29% increases are across the board and will apply to every policy holder in 2020...any one get else get an increase like this? 

Nicole

ps I live in New York city

Edited by Nicole

They're going to vary by region, but obviously a lot of us have seen these more than once. Don't hold your breath for anything other than a generic answer. :(