Healthy Paws Massive Rate Increase

seeh2o

If you have Healthy Paws, hold on to your hats, there may well be a massive rate increase in your near future. I received an email today and was hit with a 37% increase on Bowie's insurance, Healthy Paws. This is exactly why I dropped Trupanion, they did this to me after the first 9 months with them for Carl and Doodles and I hadn't even had a claim with them. Clearly, I have had claims for Bowie. If others here have Healthy Paws, have you heard from them yet? I'm going from $64.82 per month to $89.06. No bueno. #healthypaws

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that IS massive. :omg I got an email from them Saturday saying our premium would go from $45.42 to $50.93.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Wow, that IS massive. :omg I got an email from them Saturday saying our premium would go from $45.42 to $50.93.

That's what I'm accustomed to. What is your zip code?

I might be mistaken but, didn't this happen with other greyhounds with cancer and that had insurance. I vaguely remember some mentions of it.

I have heard that, I'd love to hear from others who have had it happen.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

We moved three miles to a new zip code and our rates increased by $5 per dog. Ill still keep them insured though.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Did they give an explanation as to why there is an increase?

"Your Healthy Paws policy provides ongoing access to the best veterinary treatments available, reimbursements based on the actual vet bill, and unlimited lifetime benefits. To continue to offer these great benefits, your monthly premium will increase for the policy period beginning in 60 days as shown below. Your rates never increase for filing a claim."

i started insuring my 2 hounds ~16 months ago (my first hounds to be insured). 10 months after I joined, my rates went up 10%, and I now pay 118.00 for my 2 girls.

i just incurred my first expense ... this will determine whether I retain the service, because I already get taxed to death by the state of Illinois, and don't need any additional help in spending my paycheck. I'm pretty sure I can save this same 1400 per year for the inevitable expenses.

Edited by juliemac

Someone suggested I put the $89.02 in a pet savings account for medical stuff. Well, that won't work for me because $89.02 per month x 12 months = $1,068.02 per year. A single incident can cost $10,000. It would take almost 10 years to save up for a $10,000 incident, 20 years for a $20,000. Bowie's pre amputation x-rays, pre amputation bone scan, pre amputation blood work, amputation, 2 multi day hospitalizations, chemo therapy, continued x-rays, and osteo sarcoma vaccination infusions (which include x-rays, overnight stays for each infusion, blood work, other iv medications) in the last 20 months have cost right around $20,000. That and you're lucky to have them with you for 10 years, let alone 20 years, which is not going to happen.

I would reach out to them for an explanation. That's insane. I've had 2 increases around 10%, including our last one in Sept of last year, but the others have been completely reasonable. You might remember my first increase was one if the 10% ones and I was pissed because I had asked them about this before signing up. The CEO reached out to me and explained why and assured me it wouldn't always be like that. So when I saw last years I wasn't thrilled. Increases happen on your policy renewal so we're due for another one soon. If ours is high again I will be contacting them.

Fwiw, I don't think its because of your claims. I am guessing veterinary costs where you are are very high and they're having to compensate across the board. I'm guessing its state by state so we might not see the same thing you are. Also if yours have consistently been low, they mostly be making up for lost ground. But I agree, that increase is completely unacceptable.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I intend to call this week. It's absurdly high. I posted to see if it had happened to anyone else, thus far it hasn't. Bowie's annual review was in June, so it's not tied to that. If no one else gets a massive increase like this, despite what they say, it's pretty much specific to her claims. No one that I know of in the LA area has had a jump like this. I posted on FB and in my local group. No one has seen an increase like this.

What the heck? I didn't think they could do that part way through a policy cycle.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

What the heck? I didn't think they could do that part way through a policy cycle.

I know, right?! Did I read on a thread here that they were bought out by a less than savory company?

I reread their email to me. They said that Bowie had been covered since November 2011 and that this was the annual increase. Except I didn't have Bowie then, shewas on a farm pregnant with puppies somewhere in Kansas and I was living in my home with Carl and Doodles. So I went onto the pwners dashboard and sure enough, Bowie wasn't covered until the day I adopted her, June 24, 2014. So, I told them that and sent them a screenshot of it. I signed up Carl and Doodles in November 2011, but not Bowie.

I also told them that a 37% increase isn't a "small" increase as they say is to be expected be in their FAQ page. I also sent them a link to a story that NBC put out about pet insurance TODAY, that discusses HP doesn't increase your deductible because of your dog's age or because you've made claims. It will be fascinating to see what they have to say.

Edited by seeh2o

So don't quote me on this, but when you add pets the policy renewals all happen together. I had Violet for a year before Skye so they were signed up at different times, but their policies both renew together. I don't remember the full explanation, just that the first time it happened I was confused and contacted them.

Are you seeing the new rate for all dogs combined but calculating the % increase from just her existing premium maybe? Would that explain it?

Are you seeing the new rate for all dogs combined but calculating the % increase from just her existing premium maybe? Would that explain it?

I only have Bowie now, Doodles passed a year and a half ago, so it's only her rate.

I only have Bowie now, Doodles passed a year and a half ago, so it's only her rate.

Ah, sorry, I posted quickly and disnt really think. Well I'm out of ideas. :P Curious to hear what they come back with.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get a response? I just got our notice, nearly 20%. They will be hearing from me.

I got a response that was pointless, then a strange interaction with getting a quote for a new dog as an existing client and as a new clieny, $40 vs $59, I called them on it, asked why am I being penalized for being an existing client all information about the dog was exactly the same and they offered me the $40 rate.