Prison Greyhound Program Hookworm Protocol

Has anyone been successful in eradicating hookworms by using the Prison Greyhound Program hookworm protocol to the letter?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Has anyone been successful in eradicating hookworms by using the Prison Greyhound Program hookworm protocol to the letter?

I followed a version of it, but at 3 week intervals instead of two, so not exactly to the letter.. We just got our second negative test a little while ago. The vet is suggesting that we continue with the Advantage Multi until at least the end of the year.

GreytXpectations, on some FB pages folks have been continuing the treatment for over 4-6 months so your vet's advice sounds good.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I started it with Vanity, to the letter. I won't be testing until we hit the 6th month.

This is what I'm doing. Let's compare notes after the 6 month fecal at the end February, beginning of March, 2019. :clover:goodluck

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Latest link for the prison program. The link changes as they update it. This was updated last month--July 2018. http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm%207-2018.pdf

If the link doesn't work, search ohio state prison greyhound hookworm.

I'm going back to this regimen, but with panacur. I have a lot of trouble getting Drontal into my boy. The part at the end does mention using either Drontal or Panacur, though they recommend Drontal. I originally used both and it didn't help, but only did 3 or so treatments, which is what the prison program recommended at the time. Now they're saying do it for 5-6 months.

Latest link for the prison program. The link changes as they update it. This was updated last month--July 2018. http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm%207-2018.pdf

If the link doesn't work, search ohio state prison greyhound hookworm.

I'm going back to this regimen, but with panacur. I have a lot of trouble getting Drontal into my boy. The part at the end does mention using either Drontal or Panacur, though they recommend Drontal. I originally used both and it didn't help, but only did 3 or so treatments, which is what the prison program recommended at the time. Now they're saying do it for 5-6 months.

I’ve been able to get Drontal into Lola by crushing the tabs and mixing the powder into 1/2 lb of raw hamburger and grated Parmesan cheese.

I’ve been able to get Drontal into Lola by crushing the tabs and mixing the powder into 1/2 lb of raw hamburger and grated Parmesan cheese.

I guess I have a really small hand, because I'm able to give Sheba any non-flavorful-chewable Rx by simply opening her mouth and shoving the pill down. No gagging or spitting it back up, either. Used to do it with my other large breeds, too.

I guess I have a really small hand, because I'm able to give Sheba any non-flavorful-chewable Rx by simply opening her mouth and shoving the pill down. No gagging or spitting it back up, either. Used to do it with my other large breeds, too.

Are you in the US? I had problems even crushing the chewable and mixing in meat, which is why I'm back with Panacur. But if I could get the Drontal in simple, non-chewable form, I would try it, since manually pilling is second nature to me and my dog. Edited by Zoomdoggie

I use butter to coat the pills with both dogs and so far it works great. Sometimes they just get butter to throw them off, like if one dog is getting a butter coated pill the other one will just get a blob of butter.

Once the dog gets a strong taste and resistance to a pill, it is almost impossible to get them to take it without manually pilling.

So far it has worked on everything including drontal which she barely tolerates.

Thanks for the update on the prison protocol. I may run this session on a 2 week schedule for Sept 1/15/30.