Sign in to follow this  
EllenEveBaz

Milo Came Back

Yesterday at the farmer's market, Milo escaped. I had packed food purchases in his "saddlebags" harness, and was unloading them into the car while being distracted by an elderly lady who was peppering me with questions about who I was, where did I live, work, the dogs, etc. And I just spaced out, and thought it would be easier to take the whole harness off at one time. I forgot that I attach the leash to this harness, not to his collar.

Milo didn't forget, In an instant, he was gone. Dashed out of the parking into the maze of alleys behind the main downtown streets. Several people immediately volunteered to help. Half a block down, I saw him at a far corner and gave the special "wonderful things will happen if you come" call. He ran straight to me, running right in front of a car coming down the alley whose driver stood on the brakes.

I hugged Milo's wiggly neck, pantomimed my undying thanks to the braking car driver, and hustled the dogs back to our car. Opened a pack of just-purchased frozen chicken feet and rewarded Milo (and Jeter, for supplying moral support).

This is not Milo's first escape. And every escape has been my fault, not anybody else's. Thank goodness all of our recall practice worked, at least after his initial dash. But what good would the recall have been if he had been hit by that car? We hung out on the sofa later that day, and I stroked his beautiful, strong perfect body that could have been injured so badly.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

Breathe...he came back. Good boy, Milo.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

So glad this had a happy ending. That must have been so scary for you. Good Milo for responding to your special call.

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

My heart was pounding just reading this. Thank goodness greyhounds Milo is home, yay. Celebrate with him, Jeter. And this is for you mom :bighug

Whew ... !

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Even with a happy ending, it is a terrifying experience! Glad he was a good boy and came when called

My biggest fear, although I think Rocket is one of those who would stay beside me even without a leash. I never want to test that theory though. Glad Milo came right back and is safe.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

I know how you feel. Glad he came back and that driver reacted that fast. Hug your beautiful boy tight.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Andy (Riot Officer), Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice) and bridge angel Colin (Dessies Hero).

Good boy Milo!

Well, not on the escape, but on the _excellent_ recall. I'm so glad that the car driver had good reflexes.

I hope your human got a chicken foot (or human grade equivalent) too.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13); Greys Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07), Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17)

Well if you didn't have a heart attack from that it means you've got a super strong heart for sure. Congratulations on training such a wonderful recall and probably saving his life. You may not realize it but one of the reasons it worked so good is because you trained and worked on training it long enough to make it habit. Yes! We want them to know that the result of obeying is absolutely the most wonderful rewards they can imagine. But we also need to do it over and over until it becomes habit and they do it without thinking about it. That is why he never hesitated even though it was at a different place amid all kinds of distractions. I wish more folks would realize that having a come on a dog, or some kind of emergency stop, can be the difference between life and death-especially with a greyhound. Milo is so blessed that he picked you as his human and you have done that for him. With regards to the car that nearly hit him many of the working dogs are trained to lay down for an emergency stop for that reason. They often work in conditions like elevated parking garages(where some have jumped to their death) or rubble piles or wilderness cliffs or even off lead in busy city traffic; and many handlers believe the safest option in an emergency is just to have them drop and remain right where they are until the handler can get to them to safely lead them out. They are still trained with the recall of course but the emergency call is their down. I am sure you would have no problem adding that command to Milo's repertoire and it would give you yet another tool. Clearly he is a smart greyhound and you are a smart trainer so heck why not have fun and keep training. You did good! All is well because you were smart enough to be prepared and had trained him. Dogs get loose despite out best efforts sometimes-and so have mine-all we can do is try and be prepared, as you were.

Could you share with us more about your recall training? How did you train him? What do you use for recall (a sound/word)? I think this is a great opportunity to teach others this skill since it was clearly so valuable, if you wouldn't mind.

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)

Thank goodness he is ok and sharing your story may help someone else or encourage recall training.

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I like the idea of an emergency stop. Can I use the "lie down" command, which he already knows, or should it be another one?

I am not a good or consistent trainer, but Milo is an excellent trainee. He is a mix, we think, and it sure seems so when training. It was so strange, after years of having to persuade full sighthounds to sit, to have a dog who responded quickly to standard training methods and plopped that tuchis down on command, even though he does not sit in "real life" any more than the full greys. He is wicked smart and besides being extremely motivated by food, seems to enjoy training for its own sake.

The special recall command is the dog's name, called in an elongated-vowel, very high pitch that drops a tone at the end: "MIIIIIIIIIII loooooooooow". "JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE terrrrrrr". As opposed to the normal, "Come, Milo!", said in a loud but cheerful voice. I practice it at random outside, waiting till they are out of sight in the big yard. Most of the time I have a delicious treat in my pocket, but I remember from a long-ago psychology class that rewards are somehow more effective if they are not a sure thing, so sometimes I just praise the heck out of them.

The special recall has worked every time he has escaped -- when he jumped the babygate that I foolishly thought would contain him just because it had contained all my other dogs; when a huge gust of wind blew open a too-lightly-shut door; when an unfamiliar gate opening somehow had just enough space to let him through. It usually hasn't worked on the initial escape dash but it does after half a minute or so. Other times it really comes in handy is when he goes out the dog door at night to bark at deer; the special call brings him running happily back inside.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

I like the idea of an emergency stop. Can I use the "lie down" command, which he already knows, or should it be another one?

I am not a good or consistent trainer, but Milo is an excellent trainee. He is a mix, we think, and it sure seems so when training. It was so strange, after years of having to persuade full sighthounds to sit, to have a dog who responded quickly to standard training methods and plopped that tuchis down on command, even though he does not sit in "real life" any more than the full greys. He is wicked smart and besides being extremely motivated by food, seems to enjoy training for its own sake.

The special recall command is the dog's name, called in an elongated-vowel, very high pitch that drops a tone at the end: "MIIIIIIIIIII loooooooooow". "JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE terrrrrrr". As opposed to the normal, "Come, Milo!", said in a loud but cheerful voice. I practice it at random outside, waiting till they are out of sight in the big yard. Most of the time I have a delicious treat in my pocket, but I remember from a long-ago psychology class that rewards are somehow more effective if they are not a sure thing, so sometimes I just praise the heck out of them.

The special recall has worked every time he has escaped -- when he jumped the babygate that I foolishly thought would contain him just because it had contained all my other dogs; when a huge gust of wind blew open a too-lightly-shut door; when an unfamiliar gate opening somehow had just enough space to let him through. It usually hasn't worked on the initial escape dash but it does after half a minute or so. Other times it really comes in handy is when he goes out the dog door at night to bark at deer; the special call brings him running happily back inside.

Can I use the "lie down" command, which he already knows,-------Absolutely, that would be best because he already knows it. All you need to do is just like you did with his emergency recall. Just communicate to him that you want him to 'lie down' where ever he is AND WAIT FOR ANOTHER COMMAND or for you to go to him no matter the location or distractions. Then you will have 2 emergency responses on him so he will be double safe! hehe. Anyway when teaching him to remain down I would recommend that you always have him remain down until you actually go back to him and then release him from his down. Sometimes you can do it quick and sometimes you just stand there for a while beside his down before you release him. Then he will get used to planting himself there until you give further instructions. If you call him to you from his down etc it will be tougher to instill that matter of fact patient down stay because he will be thinking only about when you are going to recall him so he can get rewarded. If you always return to him before releasing him then THAT is what he has in his little brain circuitry and that is what he will do under stress-just lay there and wait for you to come and reward him. (Of course he would still respond to your come command if you give it because he is smart :) They KNOW the difference between an emergency down and a down in an obedience trial.) Interesting about how he likes learning obedience. My houndie Octane does too. Greyhounds are sooo much smarter than they get credit for! Good luck and have fun. A smart guy like Milo will pick it up pretty quick. Enjoy it-not all of them are like that :)

I personally probably wouldn't use a down with a greyhound in this situation unless the dog was really happy about lying down on all sorts of surfaces. I'm guessing in this situation that you were probably dealing with concrete or asphalt, and even the most compliant and well trained of hounds probably won't want to lay down on that. Kenna probably would, Kili would not. Rally is often done on corrugated mats or even have had a few times on bare concrete, and that's never easy with Kili as she's just loathe to put those bony elbows all the way down. Alternately, you could train for both. A down is really nice because it's a bit more controlled than the stand, but as I said, if you ask for a down on a hard surface you very likely won't get it.

I don't have "emergency" commands for my dogs at this point, but all of their cues are pretty solid. If they're walking out ahead of me on a trail and I'm not sure what's around the corner, or when we're getting close to the parking lot, I will just use my stay cue ("wait") and they will stop and stand there until I catch up.

I play a fun little game with Kenna which works on listening to commands while running ahead towards a distraction. It also makes for a fun party trick. I use food or a toy and throw it. Then I tell her she can go get it. While she runs toward it I ask her to down before she gets there. Sometimes I call her back to me, sometimes I tell her to go get it and then ask her to lay down again. Still working on her being able to do other things like sit, spin, etc. But it works on their ability to listen to instructions while distracted by something they really want when they are not under your control.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Speaking of this..........http://www.newson6.com/story/38990397/nowata-police-k9-killed-after-intoxicated-woman-lets-it-out-of-police-car

Soooo sad. This is why some folks train an emergency stop. ".......when he heard his handler call, he turned and ran back across the highway and was struck by a semi."

Edited by racindog