Heat Sensitivity In Greyhounds

Guest newgreylover

Guest newgreylover

Hello there!

We're new greyhound adopters, and I have a pressing question about heat sensitivity. We know that, as the weather continues to be hot, we need to reduce our dog's time outside and watch for signs of heat exhaustion and heatstroke. However, we've just got a spot of bad news: our AC is out, and our landlord is going to have to replace the entire system. We don't know when the work will be completed, but we expect to have to sweat it out at least for the next week or two. Meanwhile, it's predicted that temperatures outside will reach 90 degrees early next week. We've done our best to ensure air circulation inside--plenty of fans running 24/7. The lows each evening are pretty reasonable--72 or so. Still, we expect that it might reach 85 degrees inside at least two days next week. There doesn't seem to be much we can do to hurry the repair process along from our end.

Is this situation dangerous to our new addition? What can we do, outside of plenty of water, her own personal fan(s), and limited exercise to ensure that she is as comfortable as possible?

We appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

I think if you can get enough cross ventilation you should be fine. If your greyhound was raised in the U.S, odds are good that s/he grew up outside in a run in Kansas, Oklahoma or another plains state living outside with a communal dog house and baby pool in temps over 100 in the summer.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I would get a window unit for the room where your dog hangs out when you're gone. Will probably be fine, but if he were to get stressed for some reason the combination might be too much. I know of one family we adopted to back when I worked with my group who lost their dog in that exact situation. AC was out, we think he may have also been panicking in their absence and he passed away. :( Really unlikely, but having had 2 of my 3 greys have heat related issues I think better safe than sorry.

FYI, if you had AC you should check your lease or rental rules in your state as your landlord may be obligated to provide a window unit.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It sounds like you are in the New England area and if you are hopefully the heat and humidity only last three days. You have gotten some good advice and all I can add is if all you have is a fan to get a plastic storage bin that you put clothes in that slides under your bed and put ice in it and blow the fan on it. If you do this in one room the room will stay cool. If you have room in your freezer use plastic containers like Cool Whip and make ice in them. Obviously you can buy bags or a block of ice.

While you can't keep the humidity out you can keep the temperature down by keeping the blinds closes where the sun is. At night it will be cooler and you can open the windows in the early morning and get the 70 to 75 degree air in the house and then shut everything down as the outside temperature rises.

Hopefully, the A/C gets fixed in a few days.

The dogs will be fine.

fans, fans, fans- keep shades drawn when the sun is high, avoid walks. no need to stress the bank and buy a window unit unless you can't take the heat. you will notice that the dogs will find a cooler place to hang when it's hot. many of us have survived w/o a.c. when i lived w/o a.c. if was off to the local trout stream with the dogs and a book or paper to read.

VORNADO FANS ARE THE BEST!

Edited by cleptogrey

My neighbor rented air conditioners when her unit failed over July 4th weekend. Though I do believe your dog should be fine with fans.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Agree with Cleptogrey, love the Vornado fans. Though you can get a small AC unit for the price of a few Vornados. ;)

You also didn't say whether you live in a condo, house, etc. and I realized that might drastically change my answer. When my AC broke in my condo we couldn't have gone without an AC unit (and I'm not going to lie, I did the buy and return since it wasn't that long) and the adopter I mentioned was also I believe in an apartment or condo. When it happened in my current house, I didn't stress at all, but I'm in a single family home that is pretty much in the woods (almost no direct sunlight) and we have a partially underground basement. I assumed you were in a condo or apartment for some reason, which is why I said AC unit.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."