Slim (12/21/99 - 8/15/06) - My St. Guinefort

racindog

st_guinefort_unfh66.jpg

I have Kent Roberts print of St. Guinefort prominently displayed in my living room. Slim, this morning-thinking of you as usual it really hit me how you are the epitome of him. You really did save me (and others) on so many levels. You instantly recognized evil-and acted on it-by violently trying to attack and either kill or drive it away in order to protect those dear to you. And in fact you did just that. The evil ones fled once you engaged them.....'resist the devil and he shall flee'....

It did not matter what form the evil took……could have been a person, a dog, an animal or even my very thoughts. You always alerted to evil and drove it away. Sometimes it was tangible. Like the busted up and bloody mess I returned home to the day evil tried to break into my home and you drove it off protecting not only the property but also our pack mate greyhound Goldie. I found him hiding under a bed totally traumatized by the violence of what had happened-so much so that he had evacuated his bowels and bladder as he fled. Nevertheless, he was safe. You were safe. The home was safe. That evil was gone-and never came back. Even the aftermath of violence is moving-even to those of us who are also sheepdogs and chose it as part of our profession, and I will never forget the scene I returned to that day-the busted totally destroyed door and blood and heat and poor scared Goldie, and you, bleeding a little yourself but a proud victorious warrior.

Moreover, what about when you put yourself between me and that 150-pound rogue loose dog that was running to attack ME. What would have happened if you had not been there to protect me? Had he got to me and injured me it could have changed the entire rest of my life. But he did not get to me because you jumped in the way and engaged him. So many memories. In addition, one of the most amazing things is how you have always and still do teach me universal truths that I do not honestly think I could have survived without knowing. Not to mention how what you taught and teach me has enabled me to find my true self and find peace and happiness.

I have never known anyone like you Slim. You are such a huge part of me-always always ever present. I know and have learned I can lean on you and depend on you and that as long as we have each other that no matter what happens it will be OK. I remember when after you had crossed over evil returned one day and hit Toby -the German Shepherd/Husky/Chow mix outdoor dog who was tasked with watching the farm- in the head with something wounding him and then gained entrance to our yard and removed a bedroom screen in the back preparing to make entry. Greyhound Minny was inside in a kennel! Having been your pack mate when you were here he knew you quite well and admitted he was calling in your help! and that he had every confidence that you would protect your home and family which is exactly what you did. In fact, I heard you brought back a couple of your friends from the bridge with you and all the evil saw as it attempted entry was teeth. Once again, evil did not gain entry and fled. Toby thankfully recovered from a nasty bump on his head.

That reminds me of one of the first truths you taught me about how you actually have more power after you cross over. I remember how right after you crossed my little socialite greyhound Cash one day told me that you had “more power” now that you had crossed over. I did not understand it at the time she had told me but I do now. And this is probably a good place to wonder again is it possible you were actually an angel? An angel disguised as an aggressive, ruthless, wild and crazy biggest bad ass in the hood kind of guy? I don’t know. I do know however that you certainly are the epitome of St. Guinefort! You seen your purpose as attacking and destroying evil and protecting the good. And that is exactly what you did on so many levels-and in fact still do. SLIM_1_p34glc.jpg

Slim I really have difficulty trying to find words to explain or describe you but I am all but overcome by the love, strength, peace and wisdom and even humor that you provide me. You are my soulmate. We are always one. Kent Roberts’ picture of St Guinefort is an exact portrait of you. So....angel? Saint? Who knows…but of this I am sure:

SLIM
Fearless, Faithful.....
Loves, Protects, Leads......
MY SOULMATE from the spirit world...
(aka)Ruthless

slimtuff_dcmhjt.jpg

I'm so very sorry. I can see how much you miss Slim :f_white

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

sending hugs on this 10th anniversary, Donna. I know how much your boy means to you :grouphug:kiss2:cry1

Kim

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:wub:

Rest well, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's hard to let out

so much string on the kite:

it moves up and up,

farther away

but you hold on

attached by a thread

that becomes more invisible as it climbs

You stand with the ball of string

in your hand,

feeling the wind tug and slack

as the kite flies higher and smaller

Until you fly it without seeing,

by feel,

you fly it by heart

We let go of the immediate sight:

we never let go of the thread.

:heart:brokenheart

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.