Question Re: Advantage Multi

The vet just put Lola on Advantage Multi. My question is - Does the greasiness eventually dissipate? I'm reluctant to even put her tag collar back on.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

It dissipates, and a couple of hours after application you should be fine to take a dry paper towel and blot off the excess oil. (According to the label, the dog can have a bath 90 minutes after application and still be protected against heartworms. I'm not sure I'd push it that far...)

In the interim, I used to use bandannas (for the first couple of days). They reminded me where not to put my hand and gave me something vaguely collar-like to grab if I needed a "handle."

I didn't like the smell of the Advantage Multi--it was worse than Frontline. But I had a dog who wasn't tolerating the flavoring added to heartworm meds, and I welcomed a topical alternative. These days, Advantage Multi is supposed to be "da bomb" in the battle against hookworms.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It dissipates, and a couple of hours after application you should be fine to take a dry paper towel and blot off the excess oil. (According to the label, the dog can have a bath 90 minutes after application and still be protected against heartworms. I'm not sure I'd push it that far...)

In the interim, I used to use bandannas (for the first couple of days). They reminded me where not to put my hand and gave me something vaguely collar-like to grab if I needed a "handle."

I didn't like the smell of the Advantage Multi--it was worse than Frontline. But I had a dog who wasn't tolerating the flavoring added to heartworm meds, and I welcomed a topical alternative. These days, Advantage Multi is supposed to be "da bomb" in the battle against hookworms.

Battling hookworms for a year is the reason we’ve switched to Advantage Multi. Am I understanding correctly, it can take a couple of days for the oil slick to disappear?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

At least a couple of days to disappear, and I'm not sure it "disappears" so much as it gets rubbed off on dog beds and other bits of furniture. If I remember correctly, the oil isn't the chemical; it's just the carrier for the chemical. I did bandannas for a couple of days because the dry paper towel doesn't completely get rid of the oil. You'll still be able to feel it if you put your fingers in the right(wrong) spot.

I had therapy dogs back then, and they are required to have baths right before a therapy visit. I'd schedule the Advantage Multi for the week before the visit, then bathe the dog 24 hours before the visit to make sure the oil and the odor were gone, so my dogs would be clean and pet-able by people with compromised health (or kids who wanted to hug the dogs).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

At least a couple of days to disappear, and I'm not sure it "disappears" so much as it gets rubbed off on dog beds and other bits of furniture. If I remember correctly, the oil isn't the chemical; it's just the carrier for the chemical. I did bandannas for a couple of days because the dry paper towel doesn't completely get rid of the oil. You'll still be able to feel it if you put your fingers in the right(wrong) spot.

I had therapy dogs back then, and they are required to have baths right before a therapy visit. I'd schedule the Advantage Multi for the week before the visit, then bathe the dog 24 hours before the visit to make sure the oil and the odor were gone, so my dogs would be clean and pet-able by people with compromised health (or kids who wanted to hug the dogs).

Perfect! I can schedule a bath a day or two after application so she won’t look and feel like a furry cast iron frying pan. Thanks!

I avoid harnesses when using the Advantage M. on my grey. I use a glove when applying and really get it onto skin avoiding fur. Nightime is also best for us. My girl is a roacher! I wash all bedding after shes had a dose. Cover your leather couches! The Advantage removed color on my Leather/pleather? Lol Never had a problem w/excessive oiliness. Usually took a full day to soak up. I dont bathe her afterwards. Not needed. I tend to do 4 spots when applying making sure she cant reach any of them along her lower neck/upper back. The bandana thing didnt work for us. Didnt want too much product soaked up either. I just was very careful about not petting in that area. Must have a bad nose...never noticed an odor with the product.

I avoid harnesses when using the Advantage M. on my grey. I use a glove when applying and really get it onto skin avoiding fur. Nightime is also best for us. My girl is a roacher! I wash all bedding after shes had a dose. Cover your leather couches! The Advantage removed color on my Leather/pleather? Lol Never had a problem w/excessive oiliness. Usually took a full day to soak up. I dont bathe her afterwards. Not needed. I tend to do 4 spots when applying making sure she cant reach any of them along her lower neck/upper back. The bandana thing didnt work for us. Didnt want too much product soaked up either. I just was very careful about not petting in that area. Must have a bad nose...never noticed an odor with the product.

Do you massage it into the skin? Do you know if the stuff will stain fabrics? Thanks!

Do you massage it into the skin? Do you know if the stuff will stain fabrics? Thanks!

No I dont massage it. So far none of our sheets/bedding has been affected. I havent noticed any discoloration on the dog beds either. I think it almost is a little odd feeling for her when it goes on. Probably nothing more than that feeling of liquid. She shook off once right after application :-/ I notice she actually lays normally on the floor or bed instead of on her side when its on. Works out most times.

It took the finish off my real oak floor

Yikes! Thank goodness I have tile floors.

It’s been several hours since I applied the stuff. Her fur is less greasy now. I took a brush to her and that helped plus-also Lola loves her ‘brushies’. As long as it gets rid of the @&$ing hooks, I can live with a little greasiness.

Took the paint off a bed rail here. My white dog looked like a reverse skunk because of the black stripe on his back. Hard pass on topicals after that!

Yikes! Some strong stuff it is. I wouldnt have chosen it if it werent for the on going hookworm issue. Its kind of a last resort unfortunately :(

Yikes! Some strong stuff it is. I wouldnt have chosen it if it werent for the on going hookworm issue. Its kind of a last resort unfortunately :(

Exactly. I would have stuck with Trifexis if it weren't for the hookworm situation. My hope is that we can get Lola hookworm free for several months and then go back to Trifexis or some other oral anti-parasitic.