Repigmentation?

I posted a couple months ago about my greys nose being depigmented, de-cobbled, crusty and bleeding. With diet, vitamin E, and homeopathy, his nose has been very healthy for the last month. Can anyone with experience tell me if his nose will ever repigment? He has three black dots on his nose that are growing very slowly. Just a hint of cobbling.

Edited by Evercroft

No personal experience, but I've seen dogs with lupus whose noses have healed and gotten black again. It probably takes a looooong time though.

Glad to hear the regimen is working for great for him! :thumbs-up

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Did you ever get a definitive diagnosis, or did you just treat the symptoms? Just asking as this may determine whether the nose will regain its normal color. Here's an excerpt from a VCA column on discoid lupus:

It may take months for the nasal planum to regain its normal color, [emphasis added] but the resolution of crusting and ulceration will indicate that the inflammation has resolved. Once all of the lesions have resolved, and no new lesions are noted, your veterinarian will help you gradually taper your dog’s medications to the lowest effective dose that prevents new flare-ups.

Finally, it is important to keep in mind that UV light is a known contributing factor in cases of DLE. Dogs with DLE should have their sun exposure minimized as much as possible. These dogs should be kept indoors as much as possible during daylight hours, and be walked in the early morning or late evening hours if possible.

Give your pup a pet on his pink nose from us. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I never had a biopsy done but my vet agreed that it was/is immune mediated. I’m grateful to read in that article that the inflammation is resolved if the lesions have healed. He was on a very short taper of pred in June, and I don’t know if that caused the remission or not. I won’t ever give it to him again, though, because he lost ten pounds in a week. I am praying for no more flare ups. I have doggy sunscreen but we don’t walk much in the heat of the day anyway.

I give him homeopathic sulphur once a month and MSM daily (plus a bunch of other supplements) so maybe we can avoid more flare ups.

Can you tell me how to post a photo?

Always use stainless steel bowls. Plastic can cause allergic reactions. I learned this when my Rhodesian Ridgeback's black nose began to discolor.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".