Greyhounds Reach The Beach 2018

jlostrich

I'm unable to go to Dewey this year, and am looking for someone to take my room at the Atlantic Oceanside. The rates are $159 Friday and Saturday, and $79 every other night. No pet fee.

My email address is joniostrich@gmail.com

Joni Ostrich

• 5 weeks later...

Since the title is perfect for general news/discussion of the event, I hope it's okay if I piggy back onto it?

For those who aren't on Facebook, Sarah has been rocking it out on the logistics and other planning for the event. For just one example, she has arranged for grey-sitting with the local Jungle Jim's Total Pet Care (dog daycare and spa). GRTB attendees' greyhounds will all go into one room, separated from other customer's dogs. Muzzles are required of course. To help out, I am going to offer muzzle rentals from my tent at the Hyatt. That's only a few short blocks away from Jungle Jim's and I'll have signs posted at both locations and in the event booklet to let everyone know where they can rent a muzzle. I'll be renting some of the popular double-padded Irish muzzles, $5 for a 4 hour session or $10 for all day, your choice. (Someone on Facebook asked: yes, I will sanitize the muzzles in between rentals.)

I will have another exciting new product to sell, or rather a service. But I don't want to spill the beans until I practice a little to make sure the results are high quality and good looking. I can hint that it's something people have been asking me for. Everybody who loves the double-padded muzzles will love it!

Question: anybody here interested in renting whippet muzzles also? I can offer that, but I'm puzzling over how to mark them as rentals. They don't have the lovely nose padding that I can label. But if there is demand, I will find a way!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

• 4 weeks later...

So do they have the tents back or is the vending in the hotels still. Is Dewey still a huge event like years ago? Just curious.

The main location for Greyhounds Reach the Beach® this year is the Hyatt Place in Dewey Beach. Inside will be vendors, speakers, a Wednesday night Social and vendor Open House, a Saturday night Greyhounds in Art show, and much more. Additional GRtB vendors will be located in the parking lot on the south side of the Hyatt, in Grotto Pizza (Dewey location) and one vendor will be located in the Rehoboth Beach Fire Hall. The Blessing of the Hounds will take place on the bay beach on the south side of the Hyatt. There will also be a parade down the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach. There will be Greyhound Adventure bus tours. So forth and so on!

There will be around 500 people in attendance.

https://www.grtb.org

Edited by Sorcha

Just a slight correction. There is more than one vendor in the fire house. Houndtime Clocks/Zoom Doggies Coats and others.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Just a slight correction. There is more than one vendor in the fire house. Houndtime Clocks/Zoom Doggies Coats and others.

One GRtB vendor. Other vendors there chose not to advertise through Greyhounds Reach the Beach® so we have no knowledge of how many.

Just a reminder, Houndtime Clocks/Zoom Doggies Coats will be vending in the Rehoboth Firehouse, tomorrow, Sunday, starting at 10 AM. Please stop by and visit with us after you march on the boardwalk with your greys. The weather should be perfect.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all the hounds and humans who attended Greyhounds Reach the Beach® last weekend. We had nearly 500 people registered and earned between $9,000-$10,000 for greyhound adoption through registrations, T-shirt sales, and our Silent Auction. We won't know the exact amount until all our bills are paid.

Each year this event gets harder to manage due to the lack of appropriate spaces, buildings, spaces or locations to host activities. It's also a challenge becasue of the expenses related to the Dewey Beach location. The Town charges all the vendors a $109 annual business license fee, even though our vendors are only in town for a few days. They also want people to buy a Dewey Beach dog license, even though the state statutes are clear that if your dog is licensed in your home state, no additional dog licenses is needed "anywhere in the state." They want us to buy a "permit" for any outside activities. When these onerous fees are added to the very few very available (but expensive) locations that in Dewey Beach, it is a real challenge to use this location to host the GRtB event.

Next year the new ballroom will be finished at the Hyatt Hotel. Anyone can rent it ... for $20,000 per day. Yes, that's not a misprint...they want $20K per day. They rent it to rich brides from the Washington D.C. area who want a beach wedding. It sure won't be the greyhounds who rent it, that's for sure.

So, all things considered we are thrilled to have our fourth consecutive successful GRtB event since rejuvenating the event in 2015 and once again raise thousands of dollars for greyhound adoption. We are especially happy to say that one of the many greyhound adoption groups whom we support with our donations is the largest Delaware-based adoption group, Greyhound Pet Adoptions of (Newark) Delaware. Our parent corporation, The Grapehound Wine Tour, Inc., is headquartered in Delaware and our volunteers are almost all Delaware residents or have Delaware roots. We are also registered to do business in all three Delaware Counties and we are members of the Rehoboth Beach-Dewey Beach Chamber of Commerce.

Thanks to all who agree with us that when it comes to Greyhounds Reach the Beach®, "It's all about the greyhounds."