Sudden Behavior Change

My girl Cozett is 7 years old. She has some separation anxiety and has been on L-theanine and melatonin for a couple of years. She has typically been a happy, fun girl loves to play. She takes Derramax for lower disc issues and incurin for incontinence as well as joint supplements

Since she was doing so well.. I slowly weaned her off of the L-theanine and melatonin. she has had soft stools for the past couple of weeks. waiting on stool results.

There has been a major change in her behavior recently. I am wondering if she needs to stay on l-theanine and melatonin. ( i restarted melatonin a few days ago and will start L-Theanine when it arrives via amazon tomorrow)

She is less playful...a bit mopey..and the big change: she will not go into the backyard at all. She typically would go out to do her business and play in between walks. She seems scared and jumpy when out. She seems to be sniffing the grass a lot...and last week sniffed and ran into the house.

She will go out if I put her on a leash. i have reserved special treats for when she goes out there.

I am at a loss and very worried about her. This morning I took her out and she would not even pee...just stood there looking anxious. this is how she behaved when we moved here two years ago...

I will speak with the vet today ( very grey saavy) about her stool results...I have filled her in on the behavior changes. She wanted to get the results back and go from there.

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by dbullwinkel

I think the obsessive sniffing is probably displacement activity to hide her not feeling well or being unhappy. Peggy will do that in weather which she thinks is too hot, or sometimes when she thinks it's getting too dark for a walk when it's finally got cool (another hot weather annoyance).

Good luck at the vet's; they'll probably check for obvious pain-causing things like teeth or a stomach going into spasm etc.

I wonder if she's experiencing some sort of withdrawal from stopping the L-theanine and melatonin. Both L-theanine and melatonin affect mood.

Speaking from experience, when I wean off or switch my antidepressant, the interim until I start a new medication is hellish even though I always wean off slowly.

Poor Cozette. Please let us know what the vet says. Hugs and scritches.

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I expect your. Eat will check for the obvious things, pain and such, but I agree with Irene, both the things she was on affected her emotions (in a good way it sounds like) she is probably experiencing some withdrawal. Hope it turns out to be something minor!

It's really not that big of a mystery.

She was doing so well because you had a good regimen going and she had a stable mental and emotional balance. Then you took part of her medication support away, and now she's having a mental health crisis.

Both L-theanine and melatonin are "natural" remedies, but they do still affect brain chemistry, mood, and behavior.

Along with fecal results, talk with your vet about restarting whatever was working before, just be aware that it may not work as well as it did, and you *may* need to switch to an actual anti anxiety medication.

In the meantime, you do whatever it takes, even if that means leash walking in your yard, until she's back on track.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would also make sure she gets a thorough physical examination. Everything you're describing could very well be pain related. It of,course seems fishy with the timimg of removing the supplements, but its possible the pain has been there and the meds were just masking a fear response to pain. So just don't rule that out. No harm in putting her back and keeping her on the supplements. They're not expensive and don't cause side effects so why not. Dosing range is quite high for l-theanine btw. Dose is 5-15 mg/kg twice daily.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you... I missed the call from my vet.. She said the stool sample was negative and we would talk on Saturday regarding the soft poop.

She was just in to the office for xrays and an exam after she dislocated her toe and it swelled again after healing. Xrays revealed arthritis in her feet and two compressed vertebrea at the bottom. We then increased her derramax to every day as I had been doing it daily. Could attribute to soft poop as well as an increase in esophogus treats. I will surely bring her in if she wants me to.

RE behavior: yes I do think it is related to stopping the supplements..I don't know why i thought it was ok to mess with a good thing!

I have started melatonin and will add in l-theanine today. She did seem perkier last night. There is also a lot of construction going on with the house directly behind us...and i have found many "nerf' darts on the grass. I know the kids next door play with them...I am wondering if she was out there and got scared ...

i will speak with the vet and get her input on both issues.

Thank you

I will ask my vet about blood work. She seems reactive to noise...which she never was at all. Fireworks do not phase her.

Something may have scared her. Lola has never been scared of the yard or even of loud noises until one morning when the garbage truck pulled in to the parking lot of the building next door while she was in our yard going potty. :yikes It took weeks (and lots of bribing with cheese) to make things right again in Lola's world.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Just wanted to add that stress colitis can cause loos stools too, so it all might be working together.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes I agree.vet does as well. She is much calmer today. We just came in from the backyard..she peed on her own...layed in the grass with me..and then played like her crazy self. I have her on 3 mgs melatonin 3 Times a day for now and 100 l theanine twice day. Stools were improved today. I have decreased her esophagus treats as well. Thanks for input!

So glad your girl is doing better!