Tonight's The Night!

The day has finally come! We bring home our pup tonight! He's 4 years, 4 months; racing name is KB's Harper though we haven't decided if we keep that or wait for him to "show" us what he should be named. We'll be fostering him for 2 weeks to make sure he's a good match. He was returned by his previous owner for not getting along with their small dog, which we also have, but we're fairly confident that after learning the whole backstory that it was situational. If all goes well and everyone gets along for those couple weeks, we'll made the adoption final! I'm going stir-crazy waiting until this evening but DH and I couldn't be more excited! I'll post pictures and updates soon!

:bounce8

Edited by Alyse

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)

Good luck and watch for overheating even on on a short turnout in this heat.

Have some old towels available that you can wet down quickly with cold water if the dog overheats. I have had Rocket overheat one time in 9 years (oddly enough, in Illinois, not here) and kept rotating cold wet towels on him with a fan blowing over him to remove the heat. Be sure to wipe the cold towels over the belly, legs and paws if your dog will let you, should you need to get him cooled down quickly. Since our water here isn't overly cold in the summer, I always have some bottles of water in the frig just in case.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Very exciting!! Have fun getting acquainted!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So far it's been great! Good on a leash and in the car, both he and my Chihuahua are getting along (not buddies yet, but no issues), slept through the night even though he woke up earlier than I'd like. Took our stairs like a champ, tile is okay but he isn't wild about the hardwood if he can avoid it. Such an encouraging first night but we're still taking things slow and being cautious. I attribute a lot of our early success to all the help and advice from you all so THANK YOU!!

Edited by Alyse

He's so handsome, and has a wonderful ear-do too

:nod

Welcome, Mr Maybe-Harper! Be polite and respectful to that chihuahua -- he was there first. Besides, I've always thought greyhounds look something like chihuahuas on stilts. Maybe you're related. :)

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

What a handsome boy! Good luck and I hope it continues to go well!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Look at all of those stripes :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Best of luck. I'm assuming people have told you not to leave them together unsupervised - now or even for a long time. And if you do, there's nothing wrong with muzzling. Mine wore muzzles for several years until I was sure they would be good with my cat. I would paint peanut butter on the inside when I left the house so they saw it as a treat. Just my thoughts....

He is just beautiful!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments!

I would paint peanut butter on the inside when I left the house so they saw it as a treat.

We kennel him if DH and I are both leaving the house or cannot supervise appropriately, but I do like the peanut butter muzzle treat idea! He doesn't mind the muzzle too much: tries about 3 times to paw it off and then forgets it's there. Boy does love his peanut butter though! :hehe