Puncture Wound Pad

Hello!

My greyhound boy has been limping on and off for a week and after a fruitless trip to the vet, and a couple days of salt soaks and paw inspections, a little dark mark became apparent - as the week had gone on his limp got a lot worse.

I assumed it would be a corn (my big fear, living in a city which makes hard surfaces impossible to avoid!) so continued with the soaks and rest.

Then yesterday I picked a little very sharp stone out of what I thought was the corn - https://ibb.co/dcuHKyhere's a pic of what we were left with. The wound is quite narrow, but does seem a bit deep - there was no blood though (this pic was after a soak).

It now no longer looks like a corn, IMO, but does anyone have any tips for healing wounds like this? He's still limping a lot (same amount as with the stone - still having to rest him, therapaw boot for toilet breaks etc) and I would assume if the only problem was the stone + the damage it caused, he would be limping a lot less now the stone is gone..?

Would be great to have some opinions on how to help - he's a velcro boy and normally comes everywhere with me and is so unhappy being left / not being able to follow me all over the house as well as having such short walks :(

That looks and sounds very much like what we just recently resolved with Aiden 1-5. A year ago I noticed a "spot" on a front paw pad and thought "corn" and kept an eye on it. The spot didn't change, didn't grow, nothing, but Aiden continued to have a *very* subtle limp. You wouldn't notice it but I did. I tried Epsom soaks, Bag Balm, other poultice-type methods to try and draw out whatever might have been embedded. Our vet couldn't appreciate anything within or around the pad and Aiden was unresponsive to any type of palpation. A preliminary xray showed nothing but follow-up films showed *something* embedded. Our vet explored the pad and found nothing. We continued wrapping/soaking/antibiotics to try to encourage whatever it was to express. The hole got bigger and a new hole appeared between the offending toe and the one next to it (two middle digits). Both holes began to ooze fluid that we cultured and everything was negative, but Aiden was now not sound. Another xray showed a clear channel from the original hole on the bottom of the pad working its way up, around, and through the hole between the toes. Aiden then had another surgery where our vet removed necrotic fat from that toe pad. She placed a suture loop that I had to move back and forth to keep the area open. We continued to soak and inject antibiotic into the hole for a week, at which point I removed the loop. After one of our soaks I discovered the tiniest of what appeared to be expressed plant material (thorn tip?) and from then on the healing began. Both holes are now completely resolved and Aiden 1-5 is again sound.

If your boy continues to limp I would suggest having an x-ray and go from there. Best of luck, let us know how he is.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

kind of looks like a corn hole to me :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Since you're in the city I would say it's probably a foreign body - maybe a small piece of glass or something like that. I would continue with the epsom salt soaks for a while. If there is something in there, that will encourage it to come out on it's own. There are also "drawing salves" you can put on the wound afterwards. If this goes on more than a week or the spot gets bigger/juicier, I would take him back to the vet and ask for an xray and antibiotics. Just be aware that not all material will show up on an xray.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Owie. 1 day after removing the "object" might not be long enough to stop the limping. Wait another day I'd say for limping to subside. Continue with the soaks and rest and see where you are in another week or so with the wound. If you can, try to express that pad after every soak. Feel free to soak twice a day. Hard to really say if it's a corn or a foreign body, I've experienced both and neither are fun for anyone. :( The no blood after you got it out is a good thing, but I've had that happen after shedding a corn and after getting something out of the pad. If it's something in there, it might be down deep which is why he's so uncomfortable.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, his limp is still quite bad (compounded by the fact I've spotted his Therapaw boot is starting to rub a sore on his ankle too :( He's not having a fun time at all) I'll continue the soaks and rest for a couple more days and then get him back to the vets if there's no improvement

I took some more photos - in case they shed any more light on what's going on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RvygncdKkMzYiaSo8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zzvDZqcGAVYCMSm6A

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G4tqoR2JbdqbqkBF6

It does look a little more like there's a callous around the wound now - which I guess could be a sign of a corn? I'll start very lightly filing that down (he doesn't seem to mind this) and see if this helps too.

He has cheered up a little since the removal of the stone, still very much into his food and roaching around on the sofa but this limp just won't shift!

Given the growing ring around the hole, I don't think it's a corn. It looks too similar to Aiden's toe that had the embedded foreign matter. I'd do the xray to either rule that out or make a plan. I hope I'm wrong and it is a corn. Please let us know.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks FiveRoooooers, super worrying but good to know. My boy is super fussy and doesn't like the vet handling him, hates taking medication, obviously won't react well to sedation etc so she's generally reluctant to interfere.. can I ask a bit more, so I'm prepared for any push back from the vet?

Did Aiden bear weight at all on his paw before the wound got worse and the second one appeared?

How was his general demeanour?

Did he tat at it? Chewing or anything?

You said the wounds started to weep, but was the original one generally dry?

For context, Ghillie seems completely happy other than when he's putting weight on it (ie he roaches about and bounces around on the sofa - he limps, but will put weight on it to walk, doesn't chew or lick it at all) The wound looks clean and clear and importantly dry.

Historically I've always been a bit keen to rush Ghillie to the vets at the smallest sign of a problem so I think I might have a reputation for being a worrier - I don't want to be sent off with well-intentioned "he's not distressed, is bearing weight and the wound looks healthy" if there are so many similarities with your boys problem

Unfortunately I don't have a photo loaded to show you. However, Aiden was weight-bearing but with a limp, if that makes sense. He could walk, mostly, although when the problem was at its worst (just before the breakthrough between his toes) he was very lame. His general demeanour was stellar throughout, roaching/smiling/eating/all good, but again, just before the breakthrough, he was concerned about his foot. I don't recall him messing with it, tho. The original spot was dry, yep, which is why we continued to think "corn". Then that area, which had been very tiny to begin with, developed a very tiny scab that I picked off. Then the hole got bigger and you know the rest of the story. It got bigger and very ugly and it was clear that we were not dealing with a corn.

I hope this is helpful.

After more soaking and inspections yesterday, I noticed that he does have a few marks that must be from the Therapaw boot! His dew claw and knuckles have little grazes on them which must be pretty uncomfortable for him. After that, he didn't wear the boot at all and I used tape to cover the puncture wound for toileting and immediately he seemed much happier!!!

He's got thin skin and fur, even for a greyhound (his legs look like a badly flocked dinosaur skeleton) so I'm wondering if the boot has caused more harm than good now :(

I'm going to take him out of the city so he only has to contend with walking on grass for a week and see how he gets on bootless - fingers crossed

Thanks FiveRoooooers, super worrying but good to know. My boy is super fussy and doesn't like the vet handling him, hates taking medication, obviously won't react well to sedation etc so she's generally reluctant to interfere.. can I ask a bit more, so I'm prepared for any push back from the vet?

Did Aiden bear weight at all on his paw before the wound got worse and the second one appeared?

How was his general demeanour?

Did he tat at it? Chewing or anything?

You said the wounds started to weep, but was the original one generally dry?

For context, Ghillie seems completely happy other than when he's putting weight on it (ie he roaches about and bounces around on the sofa - he limps, but will put weight on it to walk, doesn't chew or lick it at all) The wound looks clean and clear and importantly dry.

Historically I've always been a bit keen to rush Ghillie to the vets at the smallest sign of a problem so I think I might have a reputation for being a worrier - I don't want to be sent off with well-intentioned "he's not distressed, is bearing weight and the wound looks healthy" if there are so many similarities with your boys problem

OK, here are some pics of Aiden's front toe, from the tiny spot a year ago to today, resolved. The pics from my phone are not great but I hope you can get an idea of how this progressed. All due to what we believe was plant matter/thorn of some type.

36955990_2026574597659009_35980660314000

channel exit between toes

36959193_2026575067658962_25546210441449

all sorts of ugly as the expression of the foreign matter began

36926414_2026575200992282_85572982522091

resolved

36919668_2026575377658931_37237999963996

resolved

36919658_2026575437658925_89662232695773 Aiden is still a bit tender as the pad regenerates but both ends of the channel seem completely healed.

Nothing to do with hounds feet, but....

When I was about 12 I stepped on 'something' while running in a field. Went right through my running shoe and the instep of my foot hurt like crazy, but it appeared there was nothing there, even after multiple soakings. After a few days the pain subsided and I totally forgot about it. A YEAR later I developed a very slow-growing bump on my instep. Pain levels increased and after a lot of examinations and X-rays a cyst with a large thorn inside was surgically removed from my foot!

So... Yup! A foreign object can stay embedded for a long time.

I'd continue the soaking, but also get some X-rays taken ...perhaps have the vet dig around and see if there's anything in there.

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks for all the help - after a lot more soaks etc, the mystery (and my poor boys limp) continues. His pad looks entirely healthy now, no swelling, no mark etc but absolutely very tender.

He's booked in for comprehensive x rays and most likely some exploratory surgery next week :(

If I wasn't anxious enough about the prospect of a corn, putting him under general anesthetic is going to give me a nervous breakdown, but the vet is certain it's the best course of action at this point so wish my boy good luck and all fingers crossed everything goes to plan and the problem is resolved...

Yeah, they're doing shoulders too - as he's been intermittently limping since I've had him (very slight, almost unnoticeable mostly- so much so we'd not been able to tell which leg was causing him grief, or if he just had a strange gait) so thought it was worth doing as they have to put him under anyway.

He's only 4 apparently, but I've not been able to find any record of him on any racing database (I have another thread going on this website http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/321433-who-is-he/?do=findComment&comment=6029039and nobody else could find anything either!) But he has (relative) youth on his side for the anesthetic and recovery.

A childhood dog (another sighthound, although not a grey) had awful reactions to general anaesthetics and unfortunately died from post-surgery complications so I have everything crossed that my boy will be OK. He's booked in for a pre-op blood profile, but if anyone has any other recommendations they would be gratefully received

Edited by lulah62

Mine limped since pretty much the day I got him too, and around age 4/5 it was more noticeable and more often. After chasing things for years, an MRI showed issues with the discs in his neck.

If nothing definitive comes out of the xrays, I strongly recommend an MRI to get to the heart of the problem quicker, saving lots of grief down the road. Just trying to pass along my experience, as it can get daunting to chase the problem.

Anesthesia does have it's risks, but for the most part, they turn out pretty alright if they know they have a greyhound on their hands and use a bit of a different protocol Everyone is a wreck when they get put under, but know it's for the best and they are in great hands.

Gentle skritches and keep us posted!

Proudly owned by:

Mini update - my boy had his op on Tuesday and is doing OK. The vets aren't currently sure if they removed whatever it was that was causing him grief so he's got biweekly check ups and bandage changes for a little while to monitor his progress. I'll post any updates I get in case anyone else has similar problems in the future.

As expected, the anaesthetic was pretty traumatic for him - he's not a brave boy and did himself some damage panicking as he came round. Fingers crossed that's the last time he has to go through that!

• 3 weeks later...

That looks and sounds very much like what we just recently resolved with Aiden 1-5. A year ago I noticed a "spot" on a front paw pad and thought "corn" and kept an eye on it. The spot didn't change, didn't grow, nothing, but Aiden continued to have a *very* subtle limp. You wouldn't notice it but I did. I tried Epsom soaks, Bag Balm, other poultice-type methods to try and draw out whatever might have been embedded. Our vet couldn't appreciate anything within or around the pad and Aiden was unresponsive to any type of palpation. A preliminary xray showed nothing but follow-up films showed *something* embedded. Our vet explored the pad and found nothing. We continued wrapping/soaking/antibiotics to try to encourage whatever it was to express. The hole got bigger and a new hole appeared between the offending toe and the one next to it (two middle digits). Both holes began to ooze fluid that we cultured and everything was negative, but Aiden was now not sound. Another xray showed a clear channel from the original hole on the bottom of the pad working its way up, around, and through the hole between the toes. Aiden then had another surgery where our vet removed necrotic fat from that toe pad. She placed a suture loop that I had to move back and forth to keep the area open. We continued to soak and inject antibiotic into the hole for a week, at which point I removed the loop. After one of our soaks I discovered the tiniest of what appeared to be expressed plant material (thorn tip?) and from then on the healing began. Both holes are now completely resolved and Aiden 1-5 is again sound.

If your boy continues to limp I would suggest having an x-ray and go from there. Best of luck, let us know how he is.

Hi FiveRoooooers!

Ghillie's had his op to remove a wedge from his toe (containing a potential corn / callous, and - they had hoped - the foreign body they spotted on the x rays) Unfortunately x rays this morning have shown the foreign object still there, and likely within the ligament-dense area of his toe where they can't cut it out. They're talking about referring him for potentially having the toe amputated which seems like a very serious escalation. Do you know if the object you worked out with the suture loop was in this danger zone?

A toe amp is a relatively easy way to resolve this issue - as long as they are *sure* to get the foreign body, and enough of the toe so that any remaining stump doesn't impact the ground when he walks. You still have the anesthesia risk, but, two weeks of recovery and he should be a much happier boy.

You might search through here for threads on anesthesia protocol, or contact the Greyhound Health Initiative, to make puting him under as easy as possible.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi FiveRoooooers!

Ghillie's had his op to remove a wedge from his toe (containing a potential corn / callous, and - they had hoped - the foreign body they spotted on the x rays) Unfortunately x rays this morning have shown the foreign object still there, and likely within the ligament-dense area of his toe where they can't cut it out. They're talking about referring him for potentially having the toe amputated which seems like a very serious escalation. Do you know if the object you worked out with the suture loop was in this danger zone?

Hi and sorry to hear about Ghillie. I agree with greysmom's post. There are also some threads here in H&M about Aiden's toe saga and surgeries and this thread is from his final surgery, when we finally took the toe. That was a separate toe issue from the current one with the surgical loop and wasn't caused by a foreign body. I just wanted to point out the discussions about taking the toe high enough that whatever stump remains is high enough to not make contact with the ground, which would be painful. Retrospectively, we should have taken the toe long before we did. During the second issue, the loop was applied during that surgery (when necrotic fat was removed from the toe pad) simply to help keep the holes open enough that we could inject antibiotics and facilitate initial healing. I removed the loop on day 5.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your boy and please let us know how he and you are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in this morning to ask how Ghillie is doing?? I sincerely hope your boy is doing better.

I am kind of a wreck as I left Aiden this morning to have that stinking toe removed. It just never healed to where he wasn't lame on it.

Aiden 1-6 1-5 1-4

Checking in this morning to ask how Ghillie is doing?? I sincerely hope your boy is doing better.

I am kind of a wreck as I left Aiden this morning to have that stinking toe removed. It just never healed to where he wasn't lame on it.

Aiden 1-6 1-5 1-4

Oh gosh Jan 1-4. :( healing thoughts.

Proudly owned by:

Oh gosh Jan 1-4. :( healing thoughts.

Thank you. I don't want to hijack Ghillie's thread, I'll start one for Aiden 1-4.