Formula Change--Iams Green Bag Adult Large Breed!

cgs

Eating grass is quite normal for dogs with an upset stomach. Empty stomach puke (bile) is yellow and pretty bubbly. You might want to consider something anti-nausea to see if it helps - Cerenia is available from your vet, or have you tried Pepcid?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He seems fine. No more eating grass and no more gurgling. I think self-medicating with grass did the trick. ;). He had seemed to feel better late morning. And yes, there was some yellow bile with the grass.

Tummy ache again this morning. I think I'm going to have to scrap this bag of IAMS and try something new. He really doesn't get any variables in his diet, though last night my husband insisted--over my objections--on giving him a little big of carnitas from our dinner. It was a tiny amount though. Since he's had upset stomachs before in the morning, I don't think that's the cause. I am wondering if it's the corn in the IAMS, so wondering if I should try Eukanuba, which was going to be my next trial, or go to something corn-free. I'm trying to stay away from really expensive food. I'm still bummed the Kirkland wasn't quite working, but I think with the carrots it would be fine. I still have half of a 40lb bag of that. My little dog is eating everything leftover from Percy's trials. Being that she's 10, she probably has a lifetime supply of food now. :/

you can return the open bags. yes, costco and pet stores and most likely the supermarket will take it back. tell the supermarket that it was rancid. that can happen in summer months.

before you jump the gun, have you had your pup checked for pancreatitis? the symptoms will be the same as food intolerance or a bug. yup, i know since felix's last flare up seemed like something that flagyl would take care of.....not if it's pancreatitis. it's worth while having a consult w/ your vet. low low fat food is the answer for that and sometimes antibiotics.

it's great hearing suggestions on this support group, but our trusty vets are not to be ignored, especially if this has been going on for a while. if you have done the rice and boiled meat route and things still don't clear up, then i visit my vet.

It was only a few times he had an upset stomach, but the last two were within a few days. Also the new Iams had caused worse poop unless I added carrots. So I think the food just wasn't great for him.

I've been incorporating Eukanuba for 2 days now, so we'll see. The morning after first giving him just a little bit at dinner, he was super happy and excited, wagging and nipping as I got ready for our walk. I don't like the nipping, but it was nice to see him so happy. And the nipping is easy to curb, but he just forgot his manners. I'm going to cut back the carrots so I can see how his poop is on the Eukanuba without it.

Edited by cgs

I have been having great luck on Eukanuba Large Breed so far. It was originally going to be a temporary thing, but I might just keep them on it. Even the little one, who is fussy about only having small kibble likes it, despite the larger size. Still not crazy about it being owned by Mars or the fact that it has some corn, but it is nice having food that gets eaten willingly by both dogs and having poop that is easy to pick up.

As of this morning, I've completed the switch to Eukanuba large breed. I'm backing off the carrots to see what happens. It's looking ok, but not great. Well I guess the only time I've seen great poop was with carrots and that was with Iams which was pretty bad without carrots. Anyway, I've stopped carrots at night since morning poop I usually better. But this morning the first one was good but the second one was pretty bad. Afternoon was decent (had morning carrots.) I'll see how things are after a week of Eukanuba and no carrots. But so far no gurgling stomach and no grass eating.

I'll be looking to see if Eukanuba alone is better than Kirkland was alone. If it's decent and consistent, then I'll stick with it and add the carrots back in to make it really pickupable.

Also, the large breed kibble isn't that big. I guess I've never had my little dog on small breed kibble--just "regular" taste of the wild or Kirkland.

Edited by cgs

I had my hopes up the other day when Percy's afternoon poop was really good, but then the last couple of days have been bad. First of the day is ok and after that it's either pudding or worse. I found a puddle of poop in the yard today and it looked fresh and he'd been out recently. He usually doesn't go between the morning and afternoon walk. As I was picking up, I noticed there was hardly any poop from the little dog and she hadn't gone on the morning walk today or yesterday. I also saw Percy eating something yesterday I think it was. It might have been a bit of watermelon rind that the squirrels got out of the compost bin and that could have affected his poop. But now I'm also wondering if maybe he's been eating the little dog's poop. I may just have to resign myself to using carrots all the time. But this much liquid poop isn't right. *sigh*

He is still being treated, but his level last time was "few" and he's had decent poop on and off the whole time with good poop if I add carrots. I would love to find a food where he doesn't need carrots or at least where it's sort of decent without carrots. I think I may be expecting too much, as I hear from friends with non-grey big dogs that stools can be pretty mushy, especially later in the day. But this level of ickiness isn't normal. Just back from a walk and another puddle poo. I'll probably put him back on carrots because a neighbor will be walking him Sunday.

VET????

why not????

this has been going on for a while.

he may have pancreatitis, colitis, something other than worms. all the years that my salukis had hook worms they had decent cleanable stool~ when they had a bout of gastroenteritis that's when the puddles began. back then heart worm meds were only administered 3 or 4 months of the year. regular worming which comes w/ HW meds did not exist.

antibiotics might be needed. but only your vet will really be able to help at this point.

But he has stretches of poop that are fine or at least reasonable. I'll see how it is over the next few days. What would the vet check? Just curious how they check for these other things.

aside from stool sample they can innately tell if it's chronic colitis via discussion and history. also the odor and consistency of the poop gives them clue, are they not digesting the food? either flagyl or tylan powder(both antibiotics) for a week to two week trial might just be your answer. if it clears up during that time and then the inconsistency returns then your hound may need a longer regime of antibiotics to get it under control. make sure you tell the vet.

annie was on flagyl for 4 months then i could finally wean her off. inconstant poops went into non-stop cow plops and weight loss unless she was on flagyl. and this was the dog that could eat ground tires with out any problems then one day....who knows....he tummy was just off and stayed that way for quite some time. also, i believe there is a snap test for pancreatitis. an inflamed pancreas can result in what you are observing. my other gh, felix, has taught me some lessons about that. your dog just might need to have it's gut cleaned up. personally i would reduce food to plain white rice and boiled chicken or ground turkey. get things checked and then start from there. your vet might just want to put your dog on a low fat food, i don't know. but these are all the things that did help those sensitive stomachs. too much switching is not great.

The D is just too long. Get him back to a vet. No "normal" dog has pudding poop this long with a couple good poop days scattered about. I agree with clepto. Push your vet for some blood testing to rule other issues out.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My dogs did not do well on Iams. My dogs eat Taste of the Wild Salmon, grain free. It made an amazing difference in their coats.

Edited by Myca

Used Iams for years, and it started seeming like there were quality control issues. We'd get one bag, and it'd be fine. The next bag, neither dog would touch it. The company always offered to have the bags replaced free of charge, but it started to be a huge pain. Eventually switched to Fromm's in the purple bag. It's the cheapest, most basic formula they make. Has beet pulp and chicken-based. That was almost 2 years ago, and *knock on wood* no issues.

Just opened a small 7lb bag of IAMS (green bag) mini chunks. Definitely looks different than others I have purchased in the past. Wish the company would quit switching it up. Seems like there is no consistency. My girl smelled it and walked away! That was with only the IAMS being in her bowl. Might be returning it back to the store.

I had been mixing IAMS w/Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Blend (large breed). My girl LOVES that food! She picks out the chicken pieces first. Her stool still isnt great always but she also still has hooks so...

have you gone to the vet yet? or is that out of the question?

I think that was directed to me? I haven't. The puddle poop was during the first week on a new food. Carrots have cleared up the problem. I kind of figure that carrots are better than medicine. I'm going to stick with this food (Eukanuba) for a while--I've been changing way too often. Last change was necessary as the IAMS was upsetting his stomach and he was whining and eating grass and really uncomfortable. So I'll stick with this and see how things are in a month. I really don't want to go through various rounds of meds and add new variables to the equation.

Had never heard of that. I'm looking at it and trying to figure out if it would be better than carrots or use it with carrots or what. He hasn't ever really had the runs--he hasn't ever NEEDED to go NOW. He had a couple days of "puddle poop" that was the worst he's had and that was the beginning of new food and it cleared up immediately with carrots. Both the clay and the carrots say they promote gut health. The carrots are even supposed to help deworm, which I hadn't read before:

Do Olewo Carrots really help de-worm?

Yes, Olewo Carrots are a great natural dewormer because carrots contain a volatile oil that kills worms and parasites naturally, and the carrot fiber helps move the wast out of the intestine.

Unfortunately this morning, he had an upset stomach again, like he was having with the new IAMS. It wasn't as bad. He was whining and went out and ate grass, but felt better immediately and I gave him some breakfast. I had heard his stomach gurgling last night. My husband has been out of town so Percy hasn't even had a treat in a couple days. Of course, I opened a new bag of food 2 days ago. But he was fine for the first 2 days. But even with the upset, his poop was good and solid first thing this morning. Maybe I should monitor the carrots better. I make up a batch and just kind of spoon some on without measuring. I wonder if sometimes I give him too much? Who knows. I was thinking of taking him off the carrots for a few days just to see how things are now that he's been on this food longer. I still might, but his upset stomach this morning kind of complicates my research. :/

I took him off carrots last Wednesday. Except for yesterday afternoon, where his poop was pretty runny, it's been fine. Solid in the morning and softer in the afternoon, but not bad. This afternoon was soft with some extra soft on top, but not terrible. No puddles or anything. Nothing just running out of his butt. So the food seems "fine." I would love for solid poop all day, but that seems to be a rare thing with big dogs. I may put him back on carrots just in the morning. But it seems I can keep him Eukanuba for the time being and it should be ok. He had that one mildly upset stomach, but that was all.