Anti-Anxiety Meds

I'm going on vacation soon and don't get home until July 3. Dog-sitter friend staying at my house with her two greyhounds.

With neighborhood and city Fourth of July fireworks probably starting over the June 30 weekend and Sheba absolutely traumatized by fireworks (heart racing, shaking, panting), I decided to get an anti-anxiety Rx from the vet yesterday. She prescribed Trazadone 50 mg, two tablets every 12-24 hours.

To test Sheba's reaction since this is the first time for such medication, I gave her two tablets this morning at 7:00 after her breakfast. Shortly after, I could tell it affected her as she came over to me a few times like she was asking me why she felt so weird. Then she was rather zombie-like and pretty much slept for the next few hours. Seems to be pretty much back to normal after about 4 hours.

I'm going to try it out again tomorrow morning but with only one tablet to see the reaction.

Note that this will not be a frequent administration of Trazadone, really only for fireworks or a really, really bad thunderstorm.

Anyone else use Trazadone on their hounds? What results do you get?

Pretty much.

One of the reasons to test it out is that it can sometimes produce the opposite reaction - mania and inability settle down until it works out of their system. Doesn't sound like that's the case here, but another trial would be warranted.

I had to give doses every 6 hours for my girl for "full coverage" of the whole day. You might want to discuss dosing options with your vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm curious if this same med would be used for a more regular basis? Or do they prescribe different anti-anxiety meds for it is not for occasional use? Just wondering if it's the med that makes it good for occasional use or not really...

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You're almost certainly going to see sedation with Trazodone, but that's okay if its also relieving her anxiety. I would strongly suggest you do not five a lower dose without speaking to a vet. I'm not a vet, but from a vet behaviorist who I refer to - Trazodone affects sedation receptors first, and then when those are "full" it moves on to anxiety receptors. So you need the higher dose to get the anxiety relief. And that is not a particularly high dose that was prescribed.

If you don't like the sedation, I suggest asking your vet about Sileo instead. It was designed specifically for acute instances of noise phobia like are describing. It is more expensive and there are multiple doses in a syringe (given orally, not a shot) so you'd have to trust your sitter to administer it properly, but its not complicated.

I'm curious if this same med would be used for a more regular basis? Or do they prescribe different anti-anxiety meds for it is not for occasional use? Just wondering if it's the med that makes it good for occasional use or not really...

It's used for both.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We used to use trazadone here with mixed results. Rading what NeylasMom wrote I suspect the dose we were given was too low.

Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organic Pet Calm and plain lavender no longer worked for us.

Another product to try would be an essential oil, diffused and topical. I will ONLY use the essential oil line developed by Melissa Shelton DVM. (She had formerly been associated with the Young Living brand until she questioned the truthfulness of their purity.) I attended a 2 day seminar and was amazed. She lectures at vet schools, services zoos, and treats all critters from fish to elephants - cats too.

ShebasMom, for your situation I'd try her Calm-a-Mile blend. I use the NEAT version in a diffuser with distilled water, and the RTU version for a few drips onto your dog's fur. This stuff has worked wonders for my Mazy.

http://www.animaleo.info/

And Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/animalEO/

I'd be glad to answer anyone's questions. PM me. I use many of her EO blends. I don't get any perks for promoting her products.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Vet said she has some dogs on Trazadone full time so could be used either way I suppose.

Note on essential oils, many are poisonous to animals, in particular cats so if you are going to use any, check the safety for any animals in your home (true even if used through a diffuser).

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Zeke was prescribed 100mg Trazadone every 8-12 hours (on a daily basis) for anxiety but on the first dose, he reacted like yours -- he was just OUT of it. Which, when it's raining (or windy, or snowing, or just cloudy out now :() may not be too bad of a thing, but I didn't want him THAT medicated. Now, I give him a 1/4 of one (so about 25 mg) as soon as I can if I see rain/storms coming. It seems to take the edge off slightly but definitely doesn't knock him out. He would probably be ok with 50mg but I haven't tried that yet.

He just turned 9 and while thunderphobic since we got him in January of 2013, he has quadrupled (or more) his anxiety and like I said, not just rain or thunder but other stuff too that are harmless :( I've started to think about putting him on it on a daily basis (as originally prescribed) but hate to....but as bad off as he is sometimes it might be worth it. We literally can NOT leave him alone if there's any chance of rain. DH and I haven't been out together more than 2 or 3 times in the past 2-3 months and it sucks. Unfortunately, we went out last Tuesday -- it was BEAUTIFUL here -- blue sky, sunny. About 10 minutes before we were going home it started pouring out of nowhere :( so now I don't know if I'll ever get him to crate again, it took almost 2 years after the last storm he was alone in.....

I would try just 50mg and see how he does?

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Note on essential oils, many are poisonous to animals, in particular cats so if you are going to use any, check the safety for any animals in your home (true even if used through a diffuser).

Many of the most well known essential oil companies are still toxic to cats, but please read Dr Shelton's comments on what her research shows and her cat-specific products.

http://www.animaleo.info/cats.html And more scientific statement https://mailchi.mp/84d05339fa01/cats-essential-oils-research-references

ShebasMom, my apologizes for going off topic.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our guy takes 100 mg of Trazodone, as needed for anxiety. It was originally prescribed to him as he had separation anxiety that was not improving with alone training, etc. We used the medication along with behavioral training to help him get over the initial uncontrolled anxiety and it worked great! One thing I would note is that the first and second time you give the meds, the greys will appear to be more influenced. Our grey was very sleepy and "out of it" as some of you had noted. However, the vet said that is normal for the first few administrations. Now, it just simply takes the edge off when needed - he is otherwise 100% normal and happy.

Hope this helps!

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

Our guy takes 100 mg of Trazodone, as needed for anxiety. It was originally prescribed to him as he had separation anxiety that was not improving with alone training, etc. We used the medication along with behavioral training to help him get over the initial uncontrolled anxiety and it worked great! One thing I would note is that the first and second time you give the meds, the greys will appear to be more influenced. Our grey was very sleepy and "out of it" as some of you had noted. However, the vet said that is normal for the first few administrations. Now, it just simply takes the edge off when needed - he is otherwise 100% normal and happy.

Hope this helps!

this is interesting, I wonder if Zeke would do better after the first couple of doses? With just the 25mg he's fine with it on an as-needed basis but seriously thinking about daily. Sorry to hijack!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

this is interesting, I wonder if Zeke would do better after the first couple of doses? With just the 25mg he's fine with it on an as-needed basis but seriously thinking about daily. Sorry to hijack!

If you think he needs it daily, talk to your vet (unless you already have) and give it a try. One thing my husband and I have learned with Greys that are truly anxious is that they will become much more happy when they are not focusing on things out of their control. Similar to people, anxiety isn't "created" on purpose, some just have it. Our big guy gained weight and really became a happy retired dog with anxiety meds. (Note: I am not saying meds are the answer to everything, but sometimes it is what they need to help them through a stressful scenario or life event).

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

Not to the OP specifically, but in response to some of other posts as well - PLEASE do not change the dosage or frequency of this medication without consulting with your vet. Especially if you are using it for anxiety and lowering the dose, you could be SENSITIZING your dog to whatever they are afraid of, by causing sedation without the anxiety relief.

Edited by NeylasMom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am hopping on this thread in hopes that someone with experience with Trazodone can give me some advice. Pepper is 5, and we adopted her 1.5 years ago. She had noise anxiety when we got her, but it has gotten much worse in the past few months (and now we are in storm season in Florida). She used to just go lay down and not want to move when she heard thunder or fireworks, but now, she also pants and shivers, and then she is mopey and uninterested in moving, eating, going outside, etc., for at least a day or two afterward (she also peed in the house during one storm, which is very unusual).

I took her to the vet a few weeks ago, and she prescribed Trazodone, and instructed me to start with a 100mg dose, and if that doesn't help, to increase the dose up to 300mg (Pepper is 80lbs). We got up to 200mg, and it seemed to have no effect. Yesterday I tried 250mg, and she was quite sedated. She barely wanted to open her eyes, and then when she did get up, she seemed wobbly and off balance, and she had trouble jumping into the car (the thunder stopped shortly after I gave it to her, so I don't know whether it affected her anxiety). I am curious if this is what people experience with their dogs, or if it sounds like that is too high of a dose. I am trying to find a good dose before the July 4th fireworks start. Her behavior on the 250mg dose was concerning, so I thought maybe I should try the 200mg dose a few more times, but given what I read here, I don't want to sedate her without the anti-anxiety effect.

I am waiting for my vet to call back so I can discuss it with her, but I wanted to get some input from those of you that have experience with Greys on Trazodone. Or, if you have any suggestions for alternative medications that might be better for noise anxiety, those are welcome too. I plan to work on desensitization training, but given the frequency of storms and Pepper's complete lack of interest in anything when she is anxious, I can't do that for the next few months at least. Thanks.

Edited by Melly

It's really best to speak with your vet. FYI, there are so many medications out there for helping with anxiety, but most regular vets aren't particularly well versed in using them, especially in combination for behavior issues and stick to just prescribing some main drugs in each class. Trazodone seems to be the newest favorite and it is helpful for a lot of dogs, but if it's not working for yours, or you don't like the side effects you are seeing, go back to your vet and if they don't seem like they have a lot of options for you, consider consulting with a veterinary behaviorist or ask your vet to. Most veterinary behaviorists will consult directly with your vet at no charge so long as your vet is on board with the idea.

I'm going on vacation soon and don't get home until July 3. Dog-sitter friend staying at my house with her two greyhounds.

With neighborhood and city Fourth of July fireworks probably starting over the June 30 weekend and Sheba absolutely traumatized by fireworks (heart racing, shaking, panting), I decided to get an anti-anxiety Rx from the vet yesterday. She prescribed Trazadone 50 mg, two tablets every 12-24 hours.

To test Sheba's reaction since this is the first time for such medication, I gave her two tablets this morning at 7:00 after her breakfast. Shortly after, I could tell it affected her as she came over to me a few times like she was asking me why she felt so weird. Then she was rather zombie-like and pretty much slept for the next few hours. Seems to be pretty much back to normal after about 4 hours.

I'm going to try it out again tomorrow morning but with only one tablet to see the reaction.

Note that this will not be a frequent administration of Trazadone, really only for fireworks or a really, really bad thunderstorm.

Anyone else use Trazadone on their hounds? What results do you get?

An update on using the 50mg Trazadone Rx: Came home from Europe yesterday evening around 7:30 and fireworks were to begin at 9:00 pm about a mile north of us. Sheba heard the first booms (I didn't) and became anxious so I gave her one 50mg tablet. That definitely helped a lot and she calmed down and slept through it. Worked for us. Fireworks again tonight at 9:00 pm 2 miles south of us. I assume she'll hear them before I do and will let me know it's time for a 50mg pill again.