Corn On Top Of Pad Home Treatment?

K has a small corn (my guess anyway) at the top of his pad. What is a good home remedy and treatment for this?

Can we use people corn topical treatment on dogs, Salicylic acid or something similar?

K_Corn.jpg

large.greyhound_signature.gif

You can try just about anything (and people have tried nearly everything), but in that location it's more lifely to be the start of a cutaneous horn than a corn, which occur on the pad bottoms 99.9% of the time. Corn treatments won't generally work on horns, but you could probably give it a shot.

Not sure what other people would say, but IMO those should be removed by a vet. Though if you're adventurous and confident he won't bite, you can try it yourself.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not sure it's a corn but the only thing that worked on my corn dog Rex (all 4 paws) was duct tape. Gotta get the good stuff like Duck or Nashau. If it is a corn vet remove is expensive and pretty much worthless. Maybe give duct tape a try....can't hurt.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

cutaneous horn

A what? :lol

I googled it, that's gross, I may need a new dog, anyone want a slightly used late model 2016 Doberman :rofl

Edit:

There is a vet at the shelter today where Trudy is working doing a rabies clinic, she showed her the pic, said ignore it for now. Hmm, it bothers me.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Could be a wart. If it gets bigger and bothers him, depending on what kind of wart it is, it can be treated by a vet with azithromycin or can be cauterized. If it's a seed wart, it will get bigger and will cause him some discomfort. Then you can soak it and pop out the seed or get him to run around after soaking. Seed warts will often pop out themselves at that point.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Warts aren't so bad comparatively. Viral warts, you take a pill. Seed warts, you can pop like a pimple after they get kinda big. A little gross :puke:puke:puke . Other warts, just a little electricity. I admit, I was never the one who popped the seed warts, unless I really felt like throwing up. I was the one who soaked them and let the dog run until they popped themselves. :lol

Edited by Cheryl2

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

"So what did you do today Jeff?"

"I popped a seed wart on Kiska's paw...

But thanks for asking...

And how was your day?"

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'd say leave it if it's not bugging her. You might be able to soak it a couple times a day in some warm epsom salt water to see if you can "pick" it off. Ryder had some weird thing in an odd area of his big pad on rear foot which after soaking and some squeezing removed a small foreign object. Literally so small wouldn't have thunk it would have made a bump like that. After all the squeezing, it was gone never to return.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

at least, it seems,that this kind of corn doesn't bother your hound when walking? I had good results for many kinds

of skin problems in my hounds with Caléndula mother tinkture. A little bit on a tiny piece of cotton and massaging

it about 3 times a day on the little wart or corn...you could try that. Have luck!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

• 1 year later...