Which Kibble For Less Gas

We all know that Greyhound farts will peel the paint off the wall. Lola was eating Wellness CORE, no gas, but it gave her pudding poo. I switched her to Merrick and poops are great but gas is horrid. She does get a probiotic once a day with her dinner and the vet suggested Beano. Yogurt doesn't help.

Can anyone suggest a kibble or supplement that helped their hound with the toxic fumes?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I've never had a gassy Greyhound despite the numerous fosters and visitors plus my personal dogs. I've tried the gamut of foods, from super high end to what some people consider pretty low brow, trying to find the perfect food that everyone will eat (that is a huge task with 3 of my picky brats) and have healthy digestion. We've had the most success with Pro Plan overall. It came highly recommended from most of my lure coursing and conformation showing friends, several of which are vets. Maintaining proper fit condition is a must for performance hounds and everyone who uses it has fit, active, beautiful dogs. We have no gas, no digestion issues, good appetites, great coats and muscle tone, and since I feed 6 (soon to be 7) dogs I get to turn in my weight circles for "checks" that cover $7 worth of each bag of food I buy. It all depends on what your dog does best on. For example, my Greyhounds did great on grain free but my Ibizans did awful and could not maintain any weight on it.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I've been pretty lucky. Percy had some paint-peeling gas in the beginning, but I think that was the cheese I was giving him to try to teach him the stairs. Once we stopped that, he was pretty good through TOTW, Kirkland chicken, Kirkland lamb and now IAMS. He has had little bouts of gas in the last day or two, but nothing that lasts. I smell it and then it's gone. When it was bad in the beginning, omg, it was bad.

I've never had a gassy Greyhound despite the numerous fosters and visitors plus my personal dogs. I've tried the gamut of foods, from super high end to what some people consider pretty low brow, trying to find the perfect food that everyone will eat (that is a huge task with 3 of my picky brats) and have healthy digestion. We've had the most success with Pro Plan overall. It came highly recommended from most of my lure coursing and conformation showing friends, several of which are vets. Maintaining proper fit condition is a must for performance hounds and everyone who uses it has fit, active, beautiful dogs. We have no gas, no digestion issues, good appetites, great coats and muscle tone, and since I feed 6 (soon to be 7) dogs I get to turn in my weight circles for "checks" that cover $7 worth of each bag of food I buy. It all depends on what your dog does best on. For example, my Greyhounds did great on grain free but my Ibizans did awful and could not maintain any weight on it.

Which flavor of Pro Plan are your dogs getting?

My girl grey had horrible gas at first but I swear it was from the hookworms. She doesnt have gas at all anymore. Still has hooks but she has had months of deworming.

Which flavor of Pro Plan are your dogs getting?

My girl grey had horrible gas at first but I swear it was from the hookworms. She doesnt have gas at all anymore. Still has hooks but she has had months of deworming.

Our staple is the shredded chicken and rice but we've also used the sensitive stomach lamb.

We used Taste of the Wild forever with my Galgo, Dalmatian, and Greyhounds. The beezers just did terrible on grain free. I know quite a few who have had the same experiences.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Add acidophilus to their food. We feed them Purina Lamb and Rice and we always add whatever leftover crap is laying around. No stink ass here.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Iams Green Bag here and there are very few if any toots.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks, all, for your input. OMG...I hope it's not the cheese. Lola would sell her own mother for cheese. It's the key to getting her to do anything!

It's a crap shoot is all that I can say. My political view is that I wouldn't give Garth Merrick a nickel. Food view is that sometimes in greyhounds less is more. Many do better on mid grade foods.

It would seem so, Pam. Now I'm curious about Garth Merrick. Off to Google!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

\hijack I feed 6 (soon to be 7) dogs

Ok, GreytHoundPoet -- spill the beans! Or the Pro Plan, as the case may be

/hijack

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

pro plan here- whippet is on 30/20 sport, felix is eating salmon w/ rice. your dog might need a round of Flagyl to clean things up, is the gas new or food new? generally i'll god Flagyl before i change foods.

It's been a roller coaster of hookworms, Panacur, gas, gastritis, loose poops, food change, great poops, more gas, loss of appetite, eating like she's starving...it's crazy-making! Isn't Flagyl an antibiotic, though? There's no infection anywhere.

\hijack I feed 6 (soon to be 7) dogs

Ok, GreytHoundPoet -- spill the beans! Or the Pro Plan, as the case may be

/hijack

Hee hee...all in good time. ;) All I will say now is that a dog I have loved from afar (and attempted to good-naturedly steal on several occasions when we were in the same place) is coming to live with me. It is an honor and a dream come true. :wub:

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Sounds like more than hook worms. How does he do on plain rice and some boiled meat? Could she have picked up a spring time bug from all the crazy squirrers, squirrels etc, running around?

i

I have been considering giving her boiled chicken and rice for a bit to see if her tummy settles down. What do you guys think?

justdoit!!! cheap short grain rice, over cook it, add more water than it calls for. you can add a box of low sodium chicken stock and ground turkey or beef or chicken. i would also up the probiotics if they are generic. fortiflora is $$, i use this https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-Probiotic-Probiotics-Prebiotics/dp/B002GIVC4C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1528143309&sr=8-7&keywords=probiotics+for+dogs

i generally give 2 capsules per meal when first starting then go to one per meal after a couple of weeks.

you can make some burger soup and top the rice w/ that, a week or so of plain rice and you will know if meds are necessary. it should clear up.

i purchased a rice cooker years ago. i almost burnt my house down cooking rice, it's quiet, you leave the room or go for a walk and fortunately there is so much liquid in it that one generally just ruins a pot. for me, better safe than sorry. our favorite rices are the good japanese short grain rices...yumyum....

justdoit!!! cheap short grain rice, over cook it, add more water than it calls for. you can add a box of low sodium chicken stock and ground turkey or beef or chicken. i would also up the probiotics if they are generic. fortiflora is $$, i use this https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-Probiotic-Probiotics-Prebiotics/dp/B002GIVC4C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1528143309&sr=8-7&keywords=probiotics+for+dogs

i generally give 2 capsules per meal when first starting then go to one per meal after a couple of weeks.

you can make some burger soup and top the rice w/ that, a week or so of plain rice and you will know if meds are necessary. it should clear up.

i purchased a rice cooker years ago. i almost burnt my house down cooking rice, it's quiet, you leave the room or go for a walk and fortunately there is so much liquid in it that one generally just ruins a pot. for me, better safe than sorry. our favorite rices are the good japanese short grain rices...yumyum....

Will do, Lola gets FortiFlora with her dinner. I'm going to check out the VetriScience one you suggest. My one worry is that she'll refuse to eat dog food after a couple of weeks of chicken and rice.

she will be hungry on the rice and chicken. so be prepared to feed her a couple of times a day. then i can lend you the handbook from the school of hard knocks if you wish! rice and dry kibble- maybe some chicken. trust me, she will get with the program once you find the right food. i can't say enough for the pro plan, great coat, they love the taste, reduced stool. jamie, our new whippet has never had a supplement what so ever, his coat shines! felix's coat improved on the sensitive stomach pro plan- salmon and rice and that's even with his thyroid being off! i would try one of the sensitive stomach varieties.

Edited by cleptogrey

she will be hungry on the rice and chicken. so be prepared to feed her a couple of times a day. then i can lend you the handbook from the school of hard knocks if you wish! rice and dry kibble- maybe some chicken. trust me, she will get with the program once you find the right food. i can't say enough for the pro plan, great coat, they love the taste, reduced stool. jamie, our new whippet has never had a supplement what so ever, his coat shines! felix's coat improved on the sensitive stomach pro plan- salmon and rice and that's even with his thyroid being off! i would try one of the sensitive stomach varieties.

Thanks so much! My guess is that I'm giving her such high quality food that it's too rich for her tummy. I ordered the probiotic you recommended. Now I'm going to check out the Pro-Plan, Again, many thanks!

Lola scarfed the chicken and rice concoction last night and again this morning like she was starving. It was great to see her eating with gusto after a couple of days of very little appetite. Just took her out for a potty break and she had poop-soup! I'm so confused. :riphair Isn't this goop supposed to settle her tummy? <sigh> On the bright side, this morning she seems to be feeling better as she's been very subdued and just a bit 'off' lately. I'm out of chicken so tonight it will be boiled beef and rice. The things we do for love of dog. :beatheart