Thinking Of Greyhounds

Guest Myca

Guest Myca

I have recently been thinking of greyhounds. I currently have a very beloved Bassett Hound. I am mid 50s and live in Jacksonville. We have a few small dogs. They range in age from 11 to 13 years old. I have a Ragdoll cat. I am considering volunteering at the Greyhound place in Jacksonville so I can become familiar with the breed. I think I would like to foster but I hesitate because of the cat and small dogs. I sent an email to the Jacksonville group on Friday. I hope to hear back from them next week. Love to hear from some of you, especially those who have cats and small dogs in the house.

Lots of greyhounds can live with small dogs and cats, and if you end up fostering, it is very helpful for adopters to get a dog they know has lived with small dogs or cats. Starting to work with a local group is a great way to begin!

We fostered a few times. My husband won't let me anymore because it is too hard for him to give the pups up.

We have always had cats and greyhounds. Our cat, Lefty, was the true test of a cat safe greyhound. She was 6 pounds of cattitude and dynamite. Someone he worked with left her on the side of the rode to die and told my husband about it (knowing he would try to save her). He thought she was dead when he found her and headed back to his car and for whatever reason he looked back and she lifted her head, so he rushed her off too the vet.

Lefty had to have her front left leg removed so she was a tripod so she easily could have made a greyhound think she was handicapped. She never let that happen. The first thing she always did upon meeting a new greyhound was to slap the snot out of the poor dog. She struck fear into 90 pound greyhounds. I remember a big, black boy we fostered - we heard the slap across his nose, it was hard. When Lefty wasn't paying attention to the foster, he gave her a big wet kiss. He had a look of pure satisfaction on his face and Lefty was completely stunned.

Kitties and greyhounds can get along. One thing that is very important though: a cat-safe greyhound may be fine inside the house, but outside the cat can easily turn into prey for the greyhound. So being aware of critters around your greyhound is very important. It is advised that you do not let your greyhound outside at the same time that your cat is outside.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Yes, I agree! My girl kitties, one tortie and one brown tabby, seem to be the most fearless when it comes to dogs. One good whap and Johhny knew exactly where he stood. Although the tortie does rub around his legs when she gets a chance!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It helps to have a cat that is used to dogs/thinks it's one of the dogs. My grey has medium prey drive and will hunt outside cats with intent to kill but thinks indoor cats are weird neighbor friends.

As for small dogs, he loves them all! That was part of my criteria when I visited the adoption kennel: good with all sorts of humans and dogs. Rogue met my cousin's Yorkie puppy over Easter and was absolutely delighted. He even gave up his dinner bowl to her! And she's not even the size of his head.

Greys come in all personalities so I think volunteering will be the perfect way for you to get your feet wet. :D

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

A good adoption group will cat test incoming greyhounds and have enough experience with them to have some feel for how well a new hound is likely to do in a given setting such as yours. The cat test is not foolproof of course, from what I understand (have not done it myself) basically they bring a cat into the kennel or foster home and grade the dog's reaction, and that reaction could be different in a different setting such as your own home, but it is some information.A good adoption group will also be able to advise you on things like how to introduce the greyhound to your current pets, what to watch out for in reactions and so forth. And if for any reason it does not work out, most adoption groups will take back and re-home a hound that turns out to be simply not cat-compatible and work with you to adopt another hound that fits better into your home. Good luck however you decide...

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

rsieg makes a good point, a cat test in the kennel, or even a dog being successfully fostered with cats or small dogs, gives you a good indication of the dog’s inclinations, but the final test will be in Your home with Your pets. Don’t want to frighten you off, you are probably aware, all animals are individuals.

It's just me and Lila here, so I don't have any advice on cats or small dogs, but I know someone with a greyhound and a bassett. They make a fine pair. And surprisingly, they both weight the same amount. :lol:

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest Myca

It's just me and Lila here, so I don't have any advice on cats or small dogs, but I know someone with a greyhound and a bassett. They make a fine pair. And surprisingly, they both weight the same amount. :lol:

That is funny. My. Bassett weighs 50lbs. She is on the smaller side.