Alternatives To Proin For Leaking Urine In Sleep?

My `13-year-old male has started leaking urine when in a deep sleep. We had his urine tested, no infection, and it is likely age-related. The vet has suggested Proin. I know that many people have great success with Proin, but then I have read the few horror stories that are enough to keep me up at night. With my girl, we use DES instead, but now for my boy, that's not an option. I am curious if anyone has had success for a male with something other than Proin?

Male dog belly-band Diapers. Or a child's cot protector liner in half and change it every morning.

If you don't like the idea of using Proin, and increasing numbers don't, then perhaps consider asking about collagen injections?

Some say putting corn-silk in their food can help a little, but even 'herbals' like this can have side effects like reducing Potassium levels in the blood.

I had good results with my girl using Leaks no More. There shouldn't be any reason why it should work differently for a boy. It did take me a while to get the dosage correct Silly me, I tried to use a smaller than recommended dosage. I found that I had to skip a day once a week or so because it stopped working after a few days. But it kept Frosty pretty much dry for a couple of years.

At least for girls there is another drug, TBhounds would know. My vet had reasons for putting Bella on Pronin but I forget what they were. She did fine on it. Second the belly band idea since it is a boy.

At least for girls there is another drug, TBhounds would know. My vet had reasons for putting Bella on Pronin but I forget what they were. She did fine on it. Second the belly band idea since it is a boy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Incurin. We started Buttercup on it less than a month ago. She was having intermittent leakage due to her epilepsy. I can't say whether it's working or not, because she hasn't had a seizure in 12 days. But the research shows it works on over 90% of dogs in six weeks or less. It's about $22 for a two week supply. Same price from my vet and Costco, well, within a dollar, so I give my vet the business.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Does Costco still fill dog scripts?

Yes. They carry a number of dog-only meds. Most of Chase's and Buttercup's are for people as well. I get 8 of Chase's 9 prescriptions from Costco.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Wal Mart here will no longer do so.

I wonder why? There's big money in pet prescriptions.

Assuming you've x-rayed/ultrasounded to ensure no bladder stones or other abnormalities? Also worth checking bloodwork to ensure no kidney issues, and checking blood pressure.

What has helped several of our dogs is switching to a low sodium, homeprepped diet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.