She Was Doing So Well!

Guest Lyndaschn

Guest Lyndaschn

We've had our girl for 3 weeks and she was doing so well. She seemed happy and adjusted. Greets us with tail wagging and excitement. Comfortable inside and outside. Until a few days ago when I lit the gas grill outside for the first time. She seems terrified of it. I have to go outside with her now, she paces around inside the house like she can't settle down just like the first couple of days after she got here. I've fed her near the grill. Put slices of cheese on the extended tray part of the grill (when it's cold and not lit obviously). She's so agitated. She's my first so this is all New to me too. I feel like it's two steps forward three steps back right now. I would love some help. I use the grill in the summer often so somehow she's going to have to figure it out but I don't want this to damage her trust in me. Thanks everyone!

It's funny how one little thing sets them off, right? What kind of a sound did it make? Sometimes it might have been an action just before you lit it as well, so it can be tough to pinpoint. My boy HATES noises so I can relate, but you are doing the right things to get her back on track. Just need some time to get her acclimatized to it.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I think they're 75% smell-orientated, so there's that as well as the burners hissing like a snake and the change of routine making that outdoor stove a new focus of attention. She needs to get it into her head that if you are happy with being around the stove then it's a safe thing. not a challenge. Carry on doing what you're doing with food treats around it; maybe hyper-value treats like little bits of sausage. Also, send the Calming Signal "lick your lips, yawn and look-away", so that she gets it that you aren't upset by her behaviour.

I would also give the grill a once over to make sure the connections are all secure and it's working properly - not leaking gas somewhere. Just in case she's smelling something you"re not.

Otherwise just keep on doing what you're doing - clasic counter conditioning. It is very much a two steps forward one step back deal sometimes and you just need time and patience to get through this phase. I would probably also light the barbecue every day and cook her up a small snack - a hamburger patty or sausage, something small she can eat right from the grill (once it's all cooled!). Keep this entire time happy and fun. Let her come and go as she wants and start to get used to this new thing. Make it as positive and fun an experience as you can for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

All great advice. Make the unlit grill 'friendly' again by using high value treats and calming signals while sitting near it. Then maybe open the lid and treat profusely. Then remove a grate and treat....and so on and so on...step by step...until you can light it, quickly shut it off, and treat. Finally light it, leave it lit and treat with a hot dog or burger coming off the grill with 'grill smell' on it.

You're doing a great job!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Have you cooked lamb on the grill? Some dogs react to that smell.

Yes, this.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Lyndaschn

Have you cooked lamb on the grill? Some dogs react to that smell.

Oh my goodness! Yes! That's the first thing I have done on it two nights in a row! Wonder what it is about lamb? She wouldn't even eat the bits I offered her from the cooked lamb she literally ran away from me! How bizarre

Oh my goodness! Yes! That's the first thing I have done on it two nights in a row! Wonder what it is about lamb? She wouldn't even eat the bits I offered her from the cooked lamb she literally ran away from me! How bizarre

Holy moly! It's the lamb for sure. Some dogs are afraid of cooking lamb smell for some bizarre reason.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yeah it's the lamb. Which is totally a thing if you google it! It's something about the smell of cooking lamb that sets some dogs off - it happens even if you have it on the stove or the oven, so you may be reduced to take out lamb dishes!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd be interested in hearing about your girl's reaction next time you grill not-lamb.

I'll keep you posted next time I grill!

Yes, please do; I'm truly interested. :thumbs-up

The lamb thing again?!?!?! Seriously, I believe it, because it comes up here every year, and it's documented, but I swear I can't wrap my brain around it.

If you want to get rid of fear of the grill - cook some liver on it. And feed it to the dog, of course (because IMHO no human should eat that). I had a dog try to rip the door off my oven when I was slow-cooking liver treats!

I definitely want to know how this turns out. Quirky fear - or liver induced???

If she's still goofy after next time you grill, and it's not the "lamb thing", I'd suggest lots of positive reinforcement. We had one foster that was afraid of the sound of frying bacon, so we fried A LOT of bacon. The dog got over the fear, LOVES bacon, and it took DH and I weeks to take of the weight lol!

• 4 years later...

I know I'm late to this party, but they have found that there is a chemical released when cooking lamb that is not found in any other meat - it smells like "stale/wet animal". If you're a chemist, it is 4,6-dimethyl-1,3-oxathiane. Not all dogs react to it, just as not all dogs are afraid of thunder/fireworks. Just FYI.

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption

I had the lamb experience this week.  I bought lamb chops, probably, for the first time in 10 years.  As soon as I opened the package Odin started acting peculiar.  When I cooked it outside on the bbq, he started panting, drooling and just not himself.  He wouldn't go outside to the yard as he would have to pass the bbq.  He spent most of the night standing at the garage looking like he wanted to leave home.  It took two days for him to settle down and to walk past the bbq.  I, personally, do not care for lamb.  It was on sale and I bought it for a treat for Len.  He will have to wait 10 years, again, before I buy him a lamb chop treat again. 

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds