Diamond Naturals Change?

According to Diamond, they added yeast in September then upped it in December. Both my dogs reacted to the December change in formula.

They have an 800 number on the bag and a "Guarantee of Quality". If the expiration date is December 2018 or later, it will be the new formula.

At least it isn't another recall (yet. I hope).

According to Diamond, they added yeast in September then upped it in December. Both my dogs reacted to the December change in formula.

They have an 800 number on the bag and a "Guarantee of Quality". If the expiration date is December 2018 or later, it will be the new formula.

At least it isn't another recall (yet. I hope).

Where can you find this info? I use Kirkland, which is made by Diamond, but I don't use the Kirkland Nature's Domain (which I think would be equivalent to Diamond Naturals). I use the regular adult formula, which would be the same as regular Diamond. I recently switched Percy from chicken to lamb, thinking the lower protein might help his poo, but it's been worse so I'm switching back to chicken. Now I'm wondering if they changed something.

This change will affect Kirkland too, possibly, since it seems to be a rebranding of the Diamond. Possible also TOTW.

Some of us are on these foods and also dealing with hooks. making it hard to tell what is what.

I rapid shifted one dog to Iams and his issues cleared up immediately. Unfortunately he is the only dog I can do this with as the others needs to be shifted gradually and/or can't have corn in their food. i shifted them to the lamb and rice diamond, but still had issues, since, as I later found out from Diamond they made the change to that food as well.

So I am not sure if this formula change affects Kirkland or TOTW or Chicken Soup FT Soul foods either, or just the Diamond Naturals formulas, but thought that I would just give people a heads up.

As a side note. Chewy replaced a bag of food for free, then refunded me after confirming the formula change. They were very responsive. I would definitely deal with them again if I can settle on foods that they sell.

Alas, my dreams of three dogs on the same food seem to have come to an end for now.

Where can you find this info? I use Kirkland, which is made by Diamond, but I don't use the Kirkland Nature's Domain (which I think would be equivalent to Diamond Naturals). I use the regular adult formula, which would be the same as regular Diamond. I recently switched Percy from chicken to lamb, thinking the lower protein might help his poo, but it's been worse so I'm switching back to chicken. Now I'm wondering if they changed something.

Posting at the same time by the looks of things.

I spoke with a customer rep from Diamond at 1 800 442 0402 and gave them the production info from the bag. That rep said they didn't know of any changes to the recipe but would have someone from their vet staff call me back. A couple days later, I got a call (unknown caller) from Diamond who informed me that they did in fact make changes by adding yeast in September then upping it in December. They confirmed that my bags were with the new formula. They said someone else from product control would call me back (by today), but nothing yet. Honestly, they seemed more concerned about damage control than about my dogs.

The production info on the bag is printed black on a blue square that you need to kind of hold to the light on an angle to read. They need the Best by date, the numbers and letters after that, then the production code after that, and the numbers and letters after that -basically everything printed in the square.

The bag of lamb I bought a few weeks ago has a best by date of Apr 2019. Same with the chicken bag I bought today. Which makes me think that the original chicken bag I bought in February probably also had a best by date of Dec 2018 or later. So I don't think he was ever on the old formula--if the kirkland adult formula even changed at all.

I think he likes the taste of chicken better. He always eats like he's starving, but with just 25% chicken at dinner tonight, he scarfed it down faster than usual--at least it seems that way to me. Since he was only on 100% lamb for about 2 weeks, I can probably switch back to chicken fairly fast.

I also offered him some kibble from the bag of IAMS he rejected a while ago to see if it was better now that he likes food more, though he's still picky. He still wanted nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I had already switched both my dogs to Eukanuba large breed after figuring out that it might be the food. After finding nothing on whether it could be from the Advocate, my wife pointed out that we had just opened a new bag of food when it happened. Both dogs, had softer stool than the one had at her worst with hooks. After switching food, the problem cleared as they transitioned. I did a 50/50 blend the first day, then 100% new after 3 days. I went from having to dig out the sod from under their poop (because of the hooks), to easily picking up firm poop in under a week. Paddy was on Eukanuba before, so I know he does ok with it, but Diamond was supposed to be such better ingredients. I wish these companies would keep screwing around with the food. Mars wrecked Nutro, which is why I put him on Diamond last year. Now Diamond gives them both colon blow. He eats grass when he is on Eukanuba which is why I put him on Nutro before this, so I will need to find a new food again. Eukanuba, Nutro and Diamond were the only ones that didn't give him soft stools.

I called Diamond, but the person on their phone said no change to formula, and asked for the batch number and date, which I didn't have because I threw the bag away. I wonder if they are trying to avoid another recall. It's hard enough to battle these damn hooks without having to dig up the yard to pick up runny poop.

Edited by PaddysDad

I called Diamond, but the person on their phone said no change to formula, and asked for the batch number and date, which I didn't have because I threw the bag away. I wonder if they are trying to avoid another recall. It's hard enough to battle these damn hooks without having to dig up the yard to pick up runny poop.

The first person on the phone told me the same thing, but I was able to provide the production information from the bag, so they had someone from their vet staff call me back with the information on the formula change. I still haven't heard back from their quality control people. The last person I talked to was clearly more concerned about doing damage control than what happened to my dogs. I threw all the food in the garbage (4 bags), just in case there is more to this than just a formula change.

Chewy refunded me and told I could dispose of it. If I find another food that they sell, I would deal with them again. They were very responsive, first replacing the food, then refunding me. I didn't want to donate it in case this turns out to be bad food. Diamond didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Diamond finally called me back today to tell me that QC confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the food batch I purchased, AND the person denied a formula change until I reminded him that he already told me they had changed it and repeated what he told me during our last call.

So I caught him in a lie. The first rep I spoke with denied knowing about any formula change. Honestly, the two last calls were more about them doing damage control than any concern for my dogs. Fool me twice...

Really disappointed. They went from the best food for my dogs to being unusable.

• 1 year later...

My dogs have been on Diamond Naturals for years. Several months ago my Terrier started getting very itchy skin and ears. The vet said there was nothing wrong with her physically. My Rottweiler also stopped eating with the usual viguor. I switched off of Beef and Rice to Chicken with no change. I then switched off of Diamond Naturals and the itch seemed to subside. I wasn't convinced that it was the food until I switched back to Diamond Naturals and the itch returned. I am now in search of another Brand. I am most disappointed in what appears to be Diamond Naturals hiding information about a possible change. 

Edited by Steve
Typo

• 1 year later...

We use the lamb and rice dry dog food and got a new bag yesterday and for some reason my 8 mo old dog wont touch it. She loved this food but I did notice that the food in the new bag looked darker and larger this time.. has something changed does anyone know? My pup is eating just not the dry dog food so I'm stuck wondering what has changed and what I should do. We have a 10 yr old dog that still is eating it with no problems. :dunno