Clicker Training?

Guest Lyndaschn

Guest Lyndaschn

I am wondering if anyone has tried clicker training and has it been successful? I have never done it with my other dogs, but they were Newfoundlands and very laid back easy to train dogs. Starting with my first greyhound I thought I might try something different and was hoping to get some advice. :ghplaybow

Many people have used clicker training with greyhounds and it can be a useful way to train them. The key with sighthounds - who have been bred for thousands of years to work independently of people - is finding the right motivator for your particular dog. If you get a food motivated greyhound, it's much easier! They are also very "soft" personality wise compared to other breeds so attention to short, positive sessions are more useful than a single long one.

Depending on the dog you get, you'll need to assess their ability to pay attention if you plan on starting right away. Some need a bit more time to settle into their new home environment before much will sink in, and some will be ready 5 minutes after they walk through the door!

Good luck and congratulations!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I haven’t formally trained Lila to do much, but I did use a clicker to teach her sit. Mostly just to mark that what I wanted was the point when her butt touched the ground. She got it very quickly. No reason why it can’t be done.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Used it with all mine. Crow isn't very bright, so he never could associate the marker with the reward :lol But I've also done some training with horses using it, too. It's a nice, humane, way to train :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I have been clicker training my girl, she is very food motivated and picked it up very quick. I'd echo the above advice, short sessions (we do 5 mins per session) and always end on a high note, a "win for the dog". Don't push for one more (like I did) or you will lose their concentration, always aim to leave them wanting more and make it fun.

Tony

Guest Lyndaschn

Sounds like it's 50/50 sometimes it works sometimes not. I guess it never hurts to try so I will! Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Sounds like it's 50/50 sometimes it works sometimes not. I guess it never hurts to try so I will! Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

It pretty much always works if done correctly. ;) The trick may be finding what motivates the dog. Not all dogs are food motivated, so you may have to work really hard to find something that he'll work for. If you've got one that likes food, you're ahead of the game. Crow *did* learn how to touch a target (my hand) but he is seriously not a smart dog. At all. I love him to death but he may be about the least intelligent greyhound I've ever dealt with. Even my trainers couldn't do anything but laugh at him as he good-naturedly wagged for treats without realizing that he needed to do something - ANYTHING - to get them :lol We did *lots* of targeting because it was the only thing he learned :lol But most dogs do really well with it, so please don't think that clicker training doesn't work because of my example :lol

Also, just a note - you don't actually need to use a clicker (some dogs may even be afraid of the sound, so you may want to "charge" it first to see). You can use a marker word, such as "yes" when the action is correct. That's what we used primarily in Heyokha's class because I'm not great balancing a clicker and a treat bag. When I've done it on horseback, I just made a clicker sound with my mouth (careful not to use the clucking sound that makes a horse move faster :lol).

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire