Hello All!

Alyse

Hi Everyone!

My name is Alyse, I live in Arizona. I have been snooping around this site for a couple weeks now and finally decided to join officially! My husband and I are getting more serious about adopting a greyhound for our next dog. Previously it had been something we had said we definitely wanted to do some day. We are not new to dogs but this would be our first bigger dog.

Right now I'm just hoping to gain a bunch of insight into these beautiful dogs and ask some questions as I think of them. I think we're a ways off from being ready to actually adopt, but I am enjoying doing my research and seeing all your pictures and reading your stories!

Thank you for having a great community!

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)

Have a great time poking around here. :welcome2

Greyhounds will be different than any dog you may have had before, and until you've had one, it's very difficult to explain. I often say, they are not dogs, more like some weird aliens, or closer to cats! Very very sensitive souls. There are of course lots of pros and cons so continue your research. If you want a cuddle bug, a few greys have this personality but not all and it takes a while for them to acclimate to your home. My boys also have never played like other dogs i.e. no fetch or roughhousing. However mine are very well behaved and a rather low maintenance. Perfect for my lifestyle.

If you are able, try to visit someone that has a few greyhounds in their house just to get an idea of what they are like in person. A local adoption group might be able to point you in the right direction. You'll see so many different personalities in one short visit.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If you are able, try to visit someone that has a few greyhounds in their house just to get an idea of what they are like in person. A local adoption group might be able to point you in the right direction. You'll see so many different personalities in one short visit.

Thank you for the welcome!

I have already found a few people that I see also live in Arizona, one even in my same town! That is a great suggestion to check them out in action to see the different personalities.

Welcome from the other side of the ocean. Probably if anything is known about keeping greyhounds successfully as pets, then it's known here. I don't think you'll fail as your doing some proper research into what will probably turn out to be a 8-10 year commitment. These dogs are sprint-athletes who like to run flat out for all of a couple of minutes and then mooch like a normal dog. They are happy to sleep forever. They don't have to run, but appreciate a large safely fenced yard or field area once in a while. (Not to be let off leash unless totally safe to do so outdoors. (Might take 6 months, might never happen - they're all different). Dog parks are problematic for them as well because they don't play like other dogs and don't like being bullied by badly-behaved ones. They are very thin-skinned and injure easily often requiring a worrying number of stitches. They come in a range of personalities so be totally honest with any adoption group you reach out to. Many can be small white fluffy dog and cat friendly, others not. When they bond with you it will usually be an intense bond sustained by trust and gentle persuasion. Go for it.

Yes, welcome! As you've already discovered, there's some folks on here from Arizona so you can see how they deal with unique problems such as the summer heat and possible javalinas. :) For me, having a greyhound was like discovering that a superstar model is also smart, funny, AND enjoys hangng out with you.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Welcome from Delaware. First: they are not dogs! Once you get over that, you will love your greyhound; whenever you adopt.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Welcome

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hello and welcome - you sound like my husband and I many years ago (considering but never had a big dog before and wanting to research). That was 6 greyhounds ago :). I second what everyone else has already said - they are just special.

Ps - not 6 at one time!!!!

Edited by teri_d

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again everyone!

Just wanted to update that we have applied with our agency! I know this won't likely be a fast process as I know the agency has a lot of applicants currently, but I hope to share good news with you all in the near future!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again all! I have a great update! We will be bringing home our greyhound July 6th! He is a return so the agency wants us to foster him for 2 weeks to make sure he's a good fit. If things go well for those weeks he'll be staying with us! I look forward to posting pictures and updates with you all!