Bravecto/nexgard

Greyhounds can be sensitive, but I've been using Bravecto for a few years now, and we haven't had any problems (on four different greyhounds).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I used Nexgard for a few months with no problems. I ended up switching because one of my dogs didn’t like the Nexgard and wouldn’t take it without a fuss. Since there are other options, I just changed to something else (Soresto collars)

I've had my crew on Nexgard for the past few years. No issues. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My boy can only have a topical (we use Advantix II) due his IMHA history, but my girl has been on Nexgard with no issue. She gets Interceptor for heartworm. I do not give them at the same time, so her system is processing less at once.

ETA I chose Nexgard over Bravecto because I like the smaller monthly vs. three month dose.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Over the years we saw Advantage, Advantix and other topicals become less and less effective. We would treat our four hounds and we'd still see ticks attached a week or two later.

We switched to Seresto collars last year and we didn't see a tick all summer. That is very remarkable, as we live in the middle of a forest with brush and tall grasses here in the piedmont of SE Pennsylvania. Every walk we'd bring one or two ticks home on our dogs and have to pick them off. We walk our dogs about a mile every day.

Cost The Seresto collars are far most cost effective too, as they last eight months and cost about $52 each. (I pay around $40 each with various coupons or offers.) Thus even at at full retail they cost an average of about $6.50 a month. Compare that to about $15.50 a month for Advantix (and the Advantix doesn't always work!).

Reactions We have not heard of any greyhound reacting to these collars, which was our main concern when we began to use them. And we ask people constantly, especially the adoption groups which use them for all their dogs. No one has seen an adverse reaction from a greyhound. I also don't like topicals which work by being absorbed into my dog's system.

Dawn If you are seeing fleas and ticks, wash your dog and soap him up with Dawn dish detergent (unscented basic version), which is gentle for the animals (even baby birds coated in oil) but an effective flea and tick killer. (In fact, when we used to see a tick attached, before we used Seresto collars, we soaped up the spot with Dawn and the tick died and fell off in a few hours.) Rinse your pup well after washing, towel dry him,and let the dog completely dry off for a couple days; then add the Seresto collar. Keep the collar adjusted tight enough to just fit one finger underneath it. It needs to contact the neck consistently.

Fleas For flea infestations, you cannot just put a collar on your dog. I saw one fellow post elsewhere that he put a Seresto collar on his dog and kept finding a couple live fleas on his dog every day so the "collars don't work." In fact, his carpets and dog beds were likely teeming with generations of fleas and he hadn't addressed the problem. The collar was likely killing dozens of fleas but the dog was just continually reinfested. If you're finding a couple fleas on your dog, there are probably hundreds in the bedding and carpet of your dog's home. The dog beds (and maybe your beds) have to be washed and the carpets need to be treated thoroughly with sprays or powders or you may have to hire a pest service. You likely will have to treat a couple times to get all the pests after they hatch. Just putting a collar on your dog won't kill a total flea infestation. And if you are seeing fleas on your dog, please assume they are everywhere in your dog's home surroundings and on your other animals.

These Seresto collars are the best flea and tick preventative we have found and we've had greyhounds -- both our own and fosters -- for 12 years. They use Imidacloprid for flea protection and Flumethrin for tick protection. Not only do ticks not attach, they drop off almost as soon as they climb on to the dog. They make your dog's whole body a tick repellant. The medications in the collar are completely topical (external) and the collar makes your dog and his bed repel ticks for months. Many greyhound groups use the Seresto collars exclusively.

If your topicals or holistic preparations aren't working, give these great collars a try. This is a video demonstrating how the collars work:

Edited by countrypaws

• 5 months later...

My girl managed to get fleas while wearing a Seresto collar. The vet said sometimes they don’t work. I’ve put her on NexGard but I still see crawling fleas on her. I launder her bed and spray the carpet a few times per week. Any suggestions?

You might need to give her a flea bath and bomb the house/apartment (while you and the dog are not in it!). If she still has fleas on Nexgard, it's likely there are a lot of fleas in the environment.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 10 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, countrypaws said:

Reactions We have not heard of any greyhound reacting to these collars, which was our main concern when we began to use them. And we ask people constantly, especially the adoption groups which use them for all their dogs. No one has seen an adverse reaction from a greyhound. I also don't like topicals which work by being absorbed into my dog's system.

I can attest that my 6-year-old greyhound is reacting terribly to her Seresto collar. It started with constant head shaking and ear itching. We took her to the vet to have her ears checked and they were "perfect" - no mites, not dirty - but they looked mildly irritated. We took the collar off and it cleared right up. 

However, a week ago we found a flea on her - so the collar went back on. Within a day she had itchy ears and now I see little pink sores (one was bleeding slightly) in a ring around her neck under the collar. I just took it off again because it's pretty obvious this is a reaction to the collar. 

Our boy doesn't seem bothered, so his will stay on. Now I need to find another solution for her. I don't like topicals, either. 

We are using the Seresto,collars this year for the first time.  We've used the Preventic collars for the last 4 years. We live in rural Eastern Ontario, a very high-tick zone?

We have had no adverse reaction at all to either type of collar on 4 Greyhounds, but the Seresto repels better and lasts longer and we'll be using them again next year.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg