Worms! Please Help!

Guest Daisydani

Guest Daisydani

Yesterday I was sitting down and my dog,daisy, was standing in front of me. I noticed a little worm around her butthole, it looked EXACTLY like a pinworm. But I read that dogs cant get pinworms? Is that true? As I was inspecting it, it fell off but I threw it in the garbage, (didnt even think about taking a picture of it I should have!) and then I saw another little worm actually come out of her butthole. It looked the exact same as the other one, also looking like a pinworm. So if dogs cant get pinworms what could it be? Ive looked at all the different kinds of worms in dogs and none of the ones I came across looked like these. TIA!!

Are you certain you didn’t see a tapeworm segment? Bring a fecal sample to your vet but, please know that very, very rarely will tapes be able to be diagnosed via a fecal float. A de-wormer containing Praziquantel needs to be used if your vet suspects tapes.

Guest Daisydani

Yes Ive looked at pictures of tapeworm segments, those look more like rice. These were a little longer and A LOT thinner and yellow. Exactly like pinworms.

Oh, also I didnt see the worms in her stool. Ill try to look next time she goes but its kind of hard because I have a lot of land and my two dogs roam free.

Vet and they can get a stool sample.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yes Ive looked at pictures of tapeworm segments, those look more like rice. These were a little longer and A LOT thinner and yellow. Exactly like pinworms.

Oh, also I didnt see the worms in her stool. Ill try to look next time she goes but its kind of hard because I have a lot of land and my two dogs roam free.

Bet they are tapesthey only look like rice after they have dried out. Bring a sample of them to your vet.