Fear Of Cat

Guest GrudziensGreys

Guest GrudziensGreys

Hello everyone!

I just recently adopted a 6 year old female retired racer and brood mom with my husband. We have 3 cats and due to the dynamic fostered her for 2 weeks to see how all would go. We officially adopted her this past Sunday after seeing that she showed no interest in the cats. However, just yesterday our youngest cat (4 yrs old... the other two are 10) ran up and mad a phst noise. There was no contact but it startled our Grey. I was surprised by this and didn't respond, I wasn't completely sure what I saw. Then it happened a second time maybe about and hour later, I scolded the cat and tried to reassure the Grey... after hours of coaxing and some treats I FINALLY got our Grey to come back into the livingroom (where it happened) because she wouldn't go in there again after the second incident. All was good for a couple hours. Then the cat did the same thing but in a different room, resulting in a time out for kitty in a closed room alone. After the time out there haven't been any more issues. There was NEVER any physical contact between cat and dog but now our Grey still doesn't like to come in the living room and hasn't eaten all day. The dog will not walk into the room where the cat is and is nervous. I can hear her stomach gurgling and I know she is hungry, plus she has been trying to eat grass when she goes outside.

The dog is completely fine being around the other two cats btw, this hasn't created fear of them.

I am at a loss for what I should do, I am worried that maybe this isn't a good fit for our Grey, I hate the idea of her being so miserable.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Well, relax, first of all. You're talking about the events of one day.

It can take a while for family dynamics to work out. As long as the cat isn't attacking the dog, and the dog has the ability to get up and walk away, it should be fine. Obviously you need to be vigilant for now, but the fact that your dog was scared and not attacking works to your benefit.

As far as I know, my guy never even saw a cat (except for two nights in foster care) and while he wasn't, and isn't, crazy about them, he has never tried to harm them. I don't really mind if he likes them or not, as long as we can all co-exist, and we do.

Give it some more time. If your dog is still afraid after a couple of months, then you might be right, but a day or so...just a blip!

Deep breaths!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest GrudziensGreys

Thank you, I know they often require a long time to adjust. Looks like it was mostly a two day blip. She seems a bit better this morning, I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right things .... such coaxing into living room with treats, of cat of concern came up while I was petting dog I would pet them both.

Just broke my heart that she was so scared, took my husband 30 mins to get her inside yesterday because she didnt even want to come in! It was really chilly too, we live in MI.

She finally ate her dinner last night after her bed time potty and had some breakfast.

Thank you!

She just needs a little time. They'll probably end up best friends.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest GrudziensGreys

Thank you, as of now the cat and dog are doing much better together. Betsy (our Grey) still doesnt like to walk into a room with a cat, and thats fine.

She still does not like to go into the living room much where it happened the first time. I was able to get her to lay on her bed last night by coaxing and leading her but I am not sure how much or how to push her. Is gently forcing her into the room and then providing treats while in there an ok way to do it? She only gets the treats if she stays in there.... typically if I can get her in there she will just walk through and go back to her safe room. I dont want to push too much and make it worse but I also dont want to baby her and slow her progress.

Anyways, thanks in advance. Im new to greyhounds and know they are different in a lot of ways.

Maybe you can slow it down and let her take things at her own pace. Rather than gently force or tempt her, try holding back and letting her come in when she’s ready, and giving her treats then.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We had the true test of a cat safe greyhound. Her name was Lefty. She was 6 pounds soaking wet and was missing her front left leg. She slapped the crap out of every single greyhound who ever entered our home. Some were always leary of her and others gave her no mind. Our Scarlett girl who was an alpha female came to an agreement with Lefty. Lefty could be alpha over every hound and kitty that entered our home but her. Still miss that kitty. She was about 19 or so when we had her put to sleep.

All our hounds and kitties learned to live together with Lefty.

Edited by Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)