Hookworm!

cgs

I wouldnt worry about the giardia if you are treating with Panacur.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once off metronidazole, his poop has returned to some good, some bad and some liquid. Right now, I'm just dealing with the diarrhea and trying to walk him in wooded areas not in people's yards. I still pick up everything I can, no matter what form it takes. (Wish I could say that for others who walk the same path.) Poor guy has been on so many meds since I got him, I thought I'd give his body a break since he currently has no immediate medical issues.

Same here for where he poops. I walk around the block and then around paths in the neighborhood and he's been good about going along the paths, which aren't anyone's yard and sometimes in the more wooded areas of the paths. And the paths have trash cans, so bonus.

Thanks, good to know. He also barfed sometime overnight. Not much and it didn't bother him--he didn't wake us up. Or maybe he barfed more than what I saw, but ate it. Anyway, it was more than 12 hours after the drontal. He hasn't been very interested in breakfast. Didn't even eat the oatmeal part of it. But he seems fine otherwise. Alert and happy.

Edited by cgs

Interesting posts about treatment resistant hook worms. I wonder if track closures out west have resulted in some of these dogs getting relocated to Florida and bringing the Panacur proof hook worms with them. My group has had more problems with hooks in the last year than they were before. We used to just do one treatment of Safe-Guard and were good. Now my vet suggested Drontal for the first time because he said it was working better. My small grey seemed to have more side effects, but both were lethargic and seemed a bit off the next day.

Interesting posts about treatment resistant hook worms. I wonder if track closures out west have resulted in some of these dogs getting relocated to Florida and bringing the Panacur proof hook worms with them. My group has had more problems with hooks in the last year than they were before. We used to just do one treatment of Safe-Guard and were good. Now my vet suggested Drontal for the first time because he said it was working better. My small grey seemed to have more side effects, but both were lethargic and seemed a bit off the next day.

Yes. Drontal impacts my boy the same way.

took 7 treatments for hookworm (drontal - drontal - panacur - panacur - panacur - panacur -panacur+advantage_topical) remediation in my house last year. Drontal didn't seem to do much, but Panacur was working well for mine. Had some negative (good) results between a few of these, causing me to start treatment over again.

Ended up using Advantage for 6 months in conjunction to boost the results (expensive! switched back to regular meds after 6 months).

yard cleanup is critical ... twice a day is minimum (but if you wait that long, you'll probably need to check all dogs in the house periodically during treatment period). Good news is that deep freeze will kill the hooks in the ground (bad news is that it's Spring).

Ugh, I hope it doesn't take that long! I'm cleaning up the yard after every poo, in part just because the yard is small and Percy likes to dash around sometimes and I do t want him stepping in it. We're doing panacur, drontal, and advantage multi, and then repeating.

I would also avoid all the places that your dog could come in contact with hooks (if you aren't already). The potty patch outside of PetSmart, for example, can be as bad as any dog park, maybe worse since they have people bringing their dogs to the vet inside. Not to just center out PS, all the other similar places would be the same. Plus meet and greets, dog parks, dog friendly businesses, etc. Anywhere dogs are pooping. At the very least, keep him away until you are absolutely free from hooks. That way you have an idea of whether he is recontacting them or just not getting rid of them.

I'm keeping him away from everywhere as much as possible because I don't want anyone catching his hookworms. But this weekend my daughter has a horse show and we'll need to take him. He seems to be down to about 3 poops a day, so I'm hoping we'll only have to deal with one at the show and I'll pick it up as best I can, and if I can, I'll take him over to a wooded area to poop, so it's out of the way. It just depends when he needs to go and whether we're about to watch my daughter ride, or whether I have time to take him aside.

Thanks for the tip about PetSmart and other areas like that. I hadn't thought of that. The only place he's really going is to the vet, which I assume would be bad, so I'll try to keep him on the pavement, but again, I hadn't really thought about that.

Panacur timing is from the first dose fyi, not last.

Want to clarify the Panacur repeat timing - I am getting conflicting info. Do the subsequent treatments start 3 weeks after the last dose, or from the first dose? Always told the last dose but now Im questioning it. Thanks!!!

My vet gave me a date to start the next round, which was3 weeks and a day (she may have thought 2 days) from the first dose. I don't think she was trying to be super precise, but I think she was basically going for 3 weeks from the first dose. His first round was 6 days.

Edited by cgs

• 2 weeks later...

I went to reread the document about what is working at the Prison Greyhound program and the link didn't work. I found the updated document:

http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm2-2018.pdf

I can't edit my first post here any longer. If any moderators can add the link to the first post, that would be great.

I think the main change is that instead of 2 doses of Drontal and Advantag Multi 14 days apart, they're saying to dose every two weeks for several months. They say the Advantage Multi gets into the dog's system and keeps the larvae from growing into adult worms, but that takes time. So in the meantime, you need to dose with Drontal every 2 weeks to kill off the adult worms. I just ordered another pack of Drontal from Amazon. No prescription needed, so I don't need to keep going back to my vet. Percy has had 2 doses so far. Just before the 2nd dose, his poop started getting looser again, so I think that was adult worms coming back. I'll dose him again in 10 days (two weeks from last dose) and I'll see if his poop is getting looser again as the 2 week mark approaches. Right now it has firmed up a bit again.

We've been battling the dreaded hooks since Lola came home in August. She was clean for about 3 months then became reinfected. ARRRGH! We've begun the 3rd round of Panacur. I'm on poop patrol twice a day. Poor Lola is visibly uncomfortable...just not her usual bubbly self.

We live in South Florida...hookworm heaven! Our yard is mostly sandy soil and coral rock with scraggly patches of what passes for grass. Consequences of living with Greyhounds for over 10 years!

Has anyone on GT successfully treated their yards for hooks?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

From what I've read, there's nothing officially approved for treating your yard. I'm picking up after every poop, but there's always some left on the grass because of loose stools. I had my little dog tested and she was clear, but I need to get her tested again to see if she's still clear after several weeks. If she hasn't picked them up, it'll be a miracle.

If she's on something like Heartguard Plus she should be okay as that kills things before an infestation can occur. You could just deworm her prophylactically once or twice to be safe. But its only problematic like this once an infestation has happened.

And I have always been told to time from the first dose, not the last in terms if the 2 or 3 week spacing.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If she's on something like Heartguard Plus she should be okay as that kills things before an infestation can occur.

Lola is on Trifexis and still has been hook positive almost consistently since August. These hooks must be mutated to resist Panacur and such. :riphair:censored

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Lola is on Trifexis and still has been hook positive almost consistently since August. These hooks must be mutated to resist Panacur and such. :riphair:censored

Yes, but she came with an infestation, that's not the case with the OP's other dog. Part od the reason hooks are so tough is because they can encyst and migrate to places like the lungs so months or even years later, they couch up ans then swallow a cyst and bam the dog is infected again. Nothing treats the cysts unfortunately.

Yes, but she came with an infestation, that's not the case with the OP's other dog. Part od the reason hooks are so tough is because they can encyst and migrate to places like the lungs so months or even years later, they couch up ans then swallow a cyst and bam the dog is infected again. Nothing treats the cysts unfortunately.

Ugh and :censored !

If she's on something like Heartguard Plus she should be okay as that kills things before an infestation can occur. You could just deworm her prophylactically once or twice to be safe. But its only problematic like this once an infestation has happened.

And I have always been told to time from the first dose, not the last in terms if the 2 or 3 week spacing.

Oh, good. She's on Heartgard Plus.