Hookworm!

cgs

We switched over to Advantage Multi from HG+ for the new hook protocol, but b0oth dogs ended up with some serious runs after the Advantage Multi treatment, which was the day after the third Panacur dose. Is this from the AdMulti? They were soft already due to the hook, but a couple of days after the Advantage I had to start picking up their poop buy cutting out the sod underneath with a shovel.

Quoted so you get the notification. I can't message you through the board.

It may not be the medication or the hooks causing your problems. See this thread about Diamond food:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/322966-diamond-naturals-change/

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Avisher224

Hi all, I'm unfortunately jumping on the bandwagon with hooks and wanted to share my experience (and certainly will welcome any advice!) I'm a longtime greyhound lover but have acquired two new hounds within the last six months- one in December and one just a few weeks ago. They are from two different adoption groups but both went through the local prison training program and both came to me heavily infested with hookworms (4+). It had been years since I'd adopted a new dog so I had no idea hookworms had become such a huge issue. My vet has a lot of other greyhound clients so he knew pretty well what we were dealing with and he was able to recommend a protocol that he admits, can take a while to work, but has been successful for others. We are doing the following every two weeks:

Day 1: Advantage Multi

Days 1 - 5: Panacur

Day 3: Ivermectin (between 1 & 1.3 mgs- still trying to work out lowest possible dose that we think works)

We did two courses with my first new adoptee in December/January and got two negative stool samples in a row. Unfortunately, we just did the recommended three month re-check and he's full of hooks again:( Dog number two is just finished his first course and will do one more before we recheck.

I do have one other grey at home and so far, he has not been infected (just checked stool last month and he was clear). ALL my fingers and toes are crossed that he stays that way- he was on Trifexis the first couple months but we switched him to Advantage a couple months ago since it protects against hooks better. My vet recommended using a shovel to scoop the poop and underlying grass/soil to minimize the risk (this is the only time that I'll say I'm happy my yard is basically just sand and weeds- makes clean up pretty easy!) Granted, I had stopped doing this for the dog I thought was clear so I'm sure my yard is full of hookworms (which is probably was already since I had him pooping back there for a week and a half before we knew he had them).

Thankfully, we have a good relationship with our vet and he is basically going to order me my own supply of Panacur and Ivermectin and let me have it at cost since I'm already hundreds of dollars in on this hookworm treatment and clearly will spend hundreds more.

I know it's likely a money thing, but does anyone else feel like it's pretty crappy that the adoption groups are not giving us ANY help on this and seem to be continuing to just "treat" with the same ineffective medicines and ship the dogs out the door with no information about this problem at all?!? I've heard that one local group is covering treatment (including if you have an existing dog and it gets infected) so I don't understand why others aren't trying to help solve the problem and help the dogs. I just think that minimally SHARING information could help us all in finding an effective treatment, so I'm trying to do my part by sharing my experience.

Looks like I'm going to the same vet, with that protocol for hooks. My latest foster since Sept has 3 rounds of the protocol. He tested fine and 2 months later he is back to 4+. My other 3 have not been affected. This last foster is Derby Lane and not part of the prison folks. The kennel turnout pens are cleaned and picked up but I never heard of any "treating" sand . The group I work with will not adopt a dog out without all tests cleared. T he hooks can stay dormant in the gut for months .

Hi all, I'm unfortunately jumping on the bandwagon with hooks and wanted to share my experience (and certainly will welcome any advice!) I'm a longtime greyhound lover but have acquired two new hounds within the last six months- one in December and one just a few weeks ago. They are from two different adoption groups but both went through the local prison training program and both came to me heavily infested with hookworms (4+). It had been years since I'd adopted a new dog so I had no idea hookworms had become such a huge issue. My vet has a lot of other greyhound clients so he knew pretty well what we were dealing with and he was able to recommend a protocol that he admits, can take a while to work, but has been successful for others. We are doing the following every two weeks:

I know it's likely a money thing, but does anyone else feel like it's pretty crappy that the adoption groups are not giving us ANY help on this and seem to be continuing to just "treat" with the same ineffective medicines and ship the dogs out the door with no information about this problem at all?!? I've heard that one local group is covering treatment (including if you have an existing dog and it gets infected) so I don't understand why others aren't trying to help solve the problem and help the dogs. I just think that minimally SHARING information could help us all in finding an effective treatment, so I'm trying to do my part by sharing my experience.

My young grey was in the same prison group as Turbo and Maverick and has the treatment resistant hook as well. My experience with her group is that they try to get the greys out the door as soon as possible, and they have no intention of accepting any responsibility once you accept the dog. They know. They are just perfectly willing to dump it all on you. I was hit with almost 2k in vet bills that I was told they would cover before her surgery (due to issues with their vet's spay job), and then got jerked around for 2 months with no reimbursement after the surgery. To my understanding, Mav's group usually offers a month of health insurance. Were you able to take advantage of that?

I know two others from and earlier class and a later class at Hardee that also were hit with these hooks. Plus the inmate trainers told me they had problems specifically deworming one of those dogs, but that he had come in that way. The groups know there is a problem. The training program knows there is a problem. I'm sure the kennels know there is a problem. They choose to ignore it to keep their numbers up, then they hide behind the part of the adoption contract that says that you accept all responsibility after adoption. Both Turbo and Mav (and the other three dogs I mentioned) came from Derby before going to Hardee, but Mav came from a different kennel and breeder than Turbo.

My hat off to Buddibear's group (and any others) who do take responsibility.

Guest Avisher224

PaddysDad, thanks so much for your perspective! I saw you were in FL and was wondering if we were dealing with the same groups as it sounds like we're having a very similar experience. It's so unfortunate that the groups are choosing this route to deal with the issue.... not only because I think word will get out and bite them in the butt eventually, but because they have the opportunity to help these dogs get on the road to recovery while they're at the prison and they seem to have no interest in even attempting to do so.

Great thinking on the pet insurance with Mav- I'm going to look into this ASAP!

Avisher, yes we are, and I totally agree with you. And, if it helps, we are not alone in dealing with any of it -hooks, groups, whatever.

Also....

Just to consolidate medication sources that have been posted earlier, and in other locations:

Advantage Multi/Advocate supplier:

https://www.petsupplyexpress.com/detail.htm?ProductID=330

$65 /6 pack for 55lbs and larger dogs -browse around if you need different.

Merck Safeguard (fenbendazole) -same ingredient as Panacur:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHLVB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a liquid suspension, for which you will need a measured syringe (usually free at a pharmacy if you ask politely for an oral medicine syringe [no needle])

-to get the correct dosage for dogs, this works out to 1.1ml per 5 pounds of dog (works out to 110mg fenbendazole /5lbs, same as the powder package dosage)

so a 75lb grey / 5lbs = 15

15 * 1.1 = 16.5ml daily dosage

(1ml = 1 cc, depending on how your syringe is marked)

-I can do an 85 pound grey and a 60 pound grey on one bottle for three days with about 25% left over. -all for about $24. One eats it mixed with the food and the other takes it squirted (slowly) down the throat.

Safeguard/Panacur powder packages:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPH2FQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WRHSJY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-you may need to mix the packages if you have a smaller greyhound. An 80 pound grey would take two boxes of the bigger dosage per course @ 2 envelopes per day, and a 60 pond grey would take one of each size box per course, with an envelop from each box per day. Works out to about $20 per three day course for a big grey.

Drontal (Quad dewormer by Bayer):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO8YMNK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 doses for a 60 lb grey (1 dose for an 80 pound grey with a half pill left over for the next round). $23

These are not the only sources, but are the ones that I have used/am using. Everything I am doing and how I am doing it is with the consultation and blessing of my vet.

Edited by PaddysDad

LaFlaca, are you buying the ready mix or the concentrate and mixing it yourself? Does it say to keep the dogs off of it for any time or if you need to water it in (or avoid excess water)? Thanks. I am considering this.

I bought the concentrate and will use a hose end sprayer. What I really like about this product is that there is no down time after spraying. Kids and critters can re-enter the area right away. No need to water it in or avoid watering the area. It is safe for plants, domestic animals, humans and wildlife. It remains to be seen if the stuff really works. I'll try just about anything at this point.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Cluarandesign

We have been battling hooks for two years with our grey. Our vet said she has been noticing it's not just Grey's but other dog breeds in SC. I printed the prison greyhound programs treatment regime for the clinic. Our grey and our other dogs are currently on Advantage Multi.

I bought the concentrate and will use a hose end sprayer. What I really like about this product is that there is no down time after spraying. Kids and critters can re-enter the area right away. No need to water it in or avoid watering the area. It is safe for plants, domestic animals, humans and wildlife. It remains to be seen if the stuff really works. I'll try just about anything at this point.

I'm going to take a chance on this product as well. I have two separate fenced areas. each about 1000 square feet, So the 16oz should be good enough for 4 treatments on one yard. Cita is still testing a weak positive, so I am turning her out into a separate yard now and will use this to treat the boys' yard. If it seems to work, I will do the other yard as well. It's probably worthwhile even if it just treats for fleas ticks or other bugs. I'd rather treat the yard than the dogs, if I can do it safely.

I'm going to take a chance on this product as well. I have two separate fenced areas. each about 1000 square feet, So the 16oz should be good enough for 4 treatments on one yard. Cita is still testing a weak positive, so I am turning her out into a separate yard now and will use this to treat the boys' yard. If it seems to work, I will do the other yard as well. It's probably worthwhile even if it just treats for fleas ticks or other bugs. I'd rather treat the yard than the dogs, if I can do it safely.

I truly hope this product works for us. Lola has been battling hooks on and off since August of last year. She finished another round of Panacur two weeks ago and already she is gassy and licking her anus - a sure sign that hooks are present. I was going to wait a month to do a fecal but I'm having it done sooner so that they don't have a chance to proliferate further. Other than treating the dog and the soil in the yard I'm at a loss at what else to do.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Just to consolidate medication sources that have been posted earlier, and in other locations:

Merck Safeguard (fenbendazole) -same ingredient as Panacur:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHLVB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a liquid suspension, for which you will need a measured syringe (usually free at a pharmacy if you ask politely for an oral medicine syringe [no needle])

Thanks, that is considerably less than what I am paying. I can do a three day course, three times on one bottle. The bottle says goats, but I see that others in the reviews are doing dogs too. Thank you for sharing this.

We have been battling hooks for two years with our grey. Our vet said she has been noticing it's not just Grey's but other dog breeds in SC. I printed the prison greyhound programs treatment regime for the clinic. Our grey and our other dogs are currently on Advantage Multi.

Thanks for joining in on the conversation here. Hopefully by all comparing notes we can help each other out.

Has it been two years continually infected or two years of infected / clear / infected?

What treatment protocol are you on or have you been on?

Did your grey come with the hooks or acquire them along the way from somewhere?

So far, I think I am the only one here who seems to have picked up these hooks along the way. We seem to have almost eliminated them, but can't quite get them down to zero.

The cedar oil products look really promusing. I may try treating my yard since we have to deal with tons of ticks and mosquitos.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just finished round #2 of the new protocol. She was starting to show signs of hooks again just before starting this round, but I didn't bother testing since we were starting within days.

The new food has them all firmed up, and no adverse effects from the medicine this round so that has been a plus. It's nice being able to pick up with the rake and scoop instead of digging out the sod from underneath. Never again Diamond Naturals. Never again.

And they tolerate the Advocate well enough. My last grey used to rash, so that is also a plus.

I also ordered the cedar oil stuff. Thanks for the info LaFlaca. I hope it helps, but if not it should at least help with the other pests. Any improvement, no matter how small is still improvement, so I am optimistic.

Thanks again to everyone participating in this thread.

I also ordered the cedar oil stuff. Thanks for the info LaFlaca. I hope it helps, but if not it should at least help with the other pests. Any improvement, no matter how small is still improvement, so I am optimistic.

You're very welcome, PaddysDad. I truly hope this product helps.

Guest Myca

Another question. The vet gave panacur for 6 days. The box says to use for 3 days. For those who have used it, how long do you give it?

My vet said they were giving over a 6 day period now because of resistance.

I want to offer my experience to this topic. We rescued our grey Max back in Feb 2018. The rescue we got him from uses a prison program as well. We are in the Central Ohio area. We were unaware of any hook issues when we adopted, and based on Max's history and the fact that he was fostered around other greys we didn't think there would be any issues. When we decided to enroll him into a blood donation program associated with the vet clinic we use, we were made aware that his bloodwork indicated he could have a possible infestation. So, we had a fecal test, and sure enough he was positive for hooks. The recommended course of treatment is:

first of month - Advantage Multi

15th of month - Panacur + nexgard for ticks

repeat until clear at least 2 months (with fecal tests).

We were warned that it may take anywhere from a year or longer to rid him of hooks completely, but hopefully after the 3rd round he will be healthy enough to begin donating blood. We will be getting another blood work up Mid June to confirm.

As far as administering the treatment - I hate the Advantage Multi, but after 3 times I've gotten good at applying. We mix the panacur powder in with wet food and he tolerates it well. We follow up with the nexgard as a treat a couple hours later. We have just completed the third full round of treatment (mar, apr, may). After the Advantage Multi, his stools get looser than usual for a few days, but after the third round of Advantage Multi, Max had very soupy/splashy stools about 2 days later. Concerned, we took another stool sample in to rule out anything else. He was still showing 100+ eggs in his stool but the vet didn't think anything else was going on since his appetite and activity were normal. We treated the loose stool with cooked quick oats mixed in with his kibble, and have switched to pumpkin. His stools have returned to 'normal' oatmeal consistency and his appetite continues to be fine. He eats 2 times a day of dry kibble, with some pumpkin puree and probiotic mixed in for dinner. His weight dropped a litte from 72 to 69, eventhough he gets the reccommended servings, so the vet recommended slight overfeeding - and he was back up to 71 1/2 as of March-end. He does look like he has gained a bit more as his whole rib case no longer shows. He looks healthy!

One other thing to note - I contacted our rescue and advised them of the situation with the hooks, and they are aware that most of the dogs they get now are turning out to be infested with hooks. They are considering beginning the above protocal on all new rescues, but I don't know when they will finalize that decision. They are genuinely concerned about the situation, so I believe they will do the right thing for the animals.

I will post updates on Max's progress through this. I am hopeful that he will be cleared in the next few months.

I want to offer my experience to this topic. We rescued our grey Max back in Feb 2018. The rescue we got him from uses a prison program as well. We are in the Central Ohio area. We were unaware of any hook issues when we adopted, and based on Max's history and the fact that he was fostered around other greys we didn't think there would be any issues. When we decided to enroll him into a blood donation program associated with the vet clinic we use, we were made aware that his bloodwork indicated he could have a possible infestation. So, we had a fecal test, and sure enough he was positive for hooks. The recommended course of treatment is:

first of month - Advantage Multi

15th of month - Panacur + nexgard for ticks

repeat until clear at least 2 months (with fecal tests).

We were warned that it may take anywhere from a year or longer to rid him of hooks completely, but hopefully after the 3rd round he will be healthy enough to begin donating blood. We will be getting another blood work up Mid June to confirm.

As far as administering the treatment - I hate the Advantage Multi, but after 3 times I've gotten good at applying. We mix the panacur powder in with wet food and he tolerates it well. We follow up with the nexgard as a treat a couple hours later. We have just completed the third full round of treatment (mar, apr, may). After the Advantage Multi, his stools get looser than usual for a few days, but after the third round of Advantage Multi, Max had very soupy/splashy stools about 2 days later. Concerned, we took another stool sample in to rule out anything else. He was still showing 100+ eggs in his stool but the vet didn't think anything else was going on since his appetite and activity were normal. We treated the loose stool with cooked quick oats mixed in with his kibble, and have switched to pumpkin. His stools have returned to 'normal' oatmeal consistency and his appetite continues to be fine. He eats 2 times a day of dry kibble, with some pumpkin puree and probiotic mixed in for dinner. His weight dropped a litte from 72 to 69, eventhough he gets the reccommended servings, so the vet recommended slight overfeeding - and he was back up to 71 1/2 as of March-end. He does look like he has gained a bit more as his whole rib case no longer shows. He looks healthy!

One other thing to note - I contacted our rescue and advised them of the situation with the hooks, and they are aware that most of the dogs they get now are turning out to be infested with hooks. They are considering beginning the above protocal on all new rescues, but I don't know when they will finalize that decision. They are genuinely concerned about the situation, so I believe they will do the right thing for the animals.

I will post updates on Max's progress through this. I am hopeful that he will be cleared in the next few months.

Thanks for your contribution. I'm going to bring your protocol up to my vet on Tuesday.

Keep us posted jake. I did a similar protocol and it did nothing. Like your vet, mine said it can take a year and to just stick with Advantage Multi and not do anymore panacur or drontal (after 2 rounds of panacur and 3 of drontal.) I don't know if it'll eventually work or not.

Paddysdad, I've lost track. What food did you stop using and what food did you start using? We're on Kirkland chicken with mixed results. I got really excited when he had 2 days in a row of good poop, but ti seems pretty random. Today has been bad so far--extremely drippy on the morning walk.

..... just stick with Advantage Multi and not do anymore panacur or drontal (after 2 rounds of panacur and 3 of drontal.)

Do you give any oral medication (we use Trifexis) along with the Advantage Multi?

Advantage Multi is supposed to take care of heartworms and other parasites as well as fleas, but not ticks. So he's getting Nexgard also (but we've found 2 ticks on him :() , but is not taking anything else like heartgard.

Paddysdad, I've lost track. What food did you stop using and what food did you start using? We're on Kirkland chicken with mixed results. I got really excited when he had 2 days in a row of good poop, but ti seems pretty random. Today has been bad so far--extremely drippy on the morning walk.

I was using Diamond Naturals lamb. I switched them both to Eukanuba large breed chicken and the poop issues cleared up right away. Even with the last round of Advantage Multi and Panacur, there were no issues. The food was worse than the hooks. Everything has been easy to pick up again.