Paddle/loft Stairs

Guest brigi

Guest brigi

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this isn't the right place for it, I am brand new!

My partner and I are thinking of adopting a greyhound in the very near future, but my main concern is our staircase. We live in a flat/apartment, and all of it is on one floor other than the main bedroom. However, to access this bedroom you have to navigate a staircase that looks a little bit like this:

http://www.stairplan.com/Assets/images/staircase-manufacturer-uk-stairs/ash-loft-staircase.jpg

We want the dog to be able to sleep in our bed if they want to, but I'm concerned that the dog wouldn't be able to use a staircase like this.

Thank you!

Depends on the dog, I guess, but I would NOT bet on it.

They're too steep and with the steps alternating like that...it could be done, but not when they get older.

But that should not sway you. It's not absolutely necessary the dog sleep with you, and frankly I don't know that any dog would be interested in those steps (although they are really cool). I know if I visited you, I'd sleep downstairs!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Depends on the dog. I've had greyhounds that were fine with them.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yeah. Those look more like a ladder than stairs to me!! ;)

I'm pretty sure no dog would want to go up, and particularly not down. I would definitely mention this to your adoption group so they can find you a more confident dog who will be OK with sleeping alone. Most greyhounds (most dogs) will want to sleep with their packmates, so you're going to (probably) need to do some extra work getting your dog used to sleeping by him/herself downstairs. A really nice comfy bed for nesting, and maybe one of those heartbeat noise makers they make for newborn babies. And a baby monitor until you're sure he/she can sleep through the night without needing to go out. There's also the option of crating, but if you are crating all day for work, I don't like this option so much.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I slept on the couch downstairs with my dog the first two nights and left him alone the 3rd night and he was fine. I don't know if sleeping with him the first two nights was key or not, or if he's just didn't care anyway. He's welcome to sleep in our room, but doesn't like doing our normal, carpeted stairs yet.

I would be concerned that even IF a dog learned to navigate them they would be dangerous. Going down would be wow. Heck, they prolly wouldn't even be totally safe for ME. I would doubt very much that a greyhound would even try to tackle them. They would probably freak out and possibly hurt themselves. The only dog I can think of that might try it would be a trained working dog that is used to weird obstacles and has developed the necessary physical skills and confidence.

:wow

None of mine would ever be able to do those.

Even Bandit my amazing little Pointer/Springer agility girlie would have had trouble with those.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Holy cow! I'd have a hard time with those!!!!!!

And forget after a few glasses of wine!!!!!!! :flip

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Depends on the dog. I've had greyhounds that were fine with them.

Did you look at the pic of the steps? They're not normal stairs at all. I've never known anyone that has a ladder for a stairway. No offense OP - but that's not going to be normal "steps training that we're used to.

Ok - I gotta ask - where in the world do you live? I've NEVER seen anything like that. They are cool as HECK!!! I wouldn't want to do them on a daily basis, but they are neat!

So, most dogs probably can't manage those. Not just greys, most dogs of any type. Small, agile dogs, probably. Maybe agile herding dogs. Greyhounds? 1 in a million.

BUT - that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a grey. It's one room. They grey won't be able to go there. No worries. Not all greys sleep in the bedroom. Acclimate properly (which probably means sleeping downstairs for a little while) and it'll be FINE. No grey is going to want to attempt those stairs, and IMHO no amount of training will work. So, adapt. No worries!

While you *might* find one that would go up, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a greyhound that would go down them. Imagine going down a sharp incline like that on all 4s. And stilts :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire