Xena

Guest XenaDad

Guest XenaDad

Hi Greytalk. I've been on and off these forums over the past month mostly in Google searches. I just got my new not-so-little girl, renamed Xena, a week ago tomorrow. She's a beautiful 1.5 year old girl who never raced, probably due to the lack of prey drive that allows a gentle tap on the leash to break her attention to local squirrels.

She's a sweetheart who loves to cuddle. She's also pretty tall and long for a girl and weighs in at about 62 lbs. Still working on her house manners, keeping her nose where it belongs, like off of tables and out of our dinner. Lol. We've taken lots of walks. She's sleeping free on my bedroom, as she's clearly identified my room as part of her den. Has to be crated during the day because my one attempt at leaving her loose in my room, today, let to my night stand being gnawed on. Separation anxiety is our biggest current struggle. She doesn't like being alone. Whines, cries, balls and howls off and on all day. Trying some pheromone anxiety stuff and just ordered her a thunder shirt to see if that helps.

I live in an upstairs condo, and she had gotten pretty good at the stairs. Hope for greater confidence as time goes by. She doesn't like going out at night though. It's like she's scared of the dark or the darkness makes her hypersensitive to lights, movement and sounds outside setting off her doggie ADHD.

Anyway, that got long winded. Looking forward to a dog park trip to hopefully let her run a little early tomorrow to take advantage of a lovely unseasonably warm Southeastern Virginia day.

:welcome2 You'll find lots of company here with SA and/or noise anxiety greys. We're up to Prozac and Thundershirt here. :)

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest XenaDad

Thanks All, for the welcomes!

:welcome2 You'll find lots of company here with SA and/or noise anxiety greys. We're up to Prozac and Thundershirt here. :)

Thundershirt arrives Monday. We'll see how that goes, then it's off to the vet. She complains anytime she's left alone in the crate, but if I leave her alone out of it even to go to the bathroom, there's a pretty good chance she'll get antsy and get into trouble. Grabbed my glasses from my nightstand and popped out a lense during a bathroom trip just this morning and found a USB cord to chew up while I showered. Got my lense popped back in. Could've been worse. Lol.

Edited by XenaDad

Welcome from the SW part of Virginia to you and your cuddly sweetheart. Some other things to try for separation anxiety: leave tv/radio on for "company," and since she likes to chew, a big nylabone or fill a hollow kong toy with something that will take her a few minutes to get out (frozen peanut butter, etc.). Even an almost-empty peanut butter jar. For some anxious dogs, getting them past that first 15 minutes alone helps a lot. Some dogs like to chew plastic, especially plastic that has their humans' scent on it, so besides your glasses, keep anything like a cell phone, tv remote, and especially eyedrop/medicine bottle or asthma inhaler out of her reach. Leave the crate door open when you're not training her in it, and put delicious, fun things in there so she'll see crate = good.

If you're not working this weekend, it's a great opportunity to work on alone training, starting with just a few seconds at a time. It's also a good time to talk to/leave note for your condo neighbors. Letting neighbors know you're working on the noise problem goes a long way to relieving potential neighbor hostility. Especially if it's accompanied by a plate of cookies. :)

As for her being upset when you leave her for the bathroom, you might as well resign yourself to never being alone again in the bathroom. It's in dog DNA to guard their humans from escape, being sucked down the drain, or alien abduction when in that mysterious little space.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:welcome2 from Miami, Florida! Congrats on the addition of Xena to your 'pack'. It's been my experience that the chewing of inappropriate items tends to lessen over time. Try to set your girl up to succeed by dog-proofing the house as much as possible. As for S.A., it can be quite a mission training Xena that you'll always come home to her. I highly suggest the booklet by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D., I'll Be Home Soon!. It's a little over 30 pages of easy to follow advice and alone training tips. It helped me turn my Lola from a raving lunatic to a calm pup when left alone.

Enjoy your girl!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest XenaDad

Welcome from the SW part of Virginia to you and your cuddly sweetheart. Some other things to try for separation anxiety: leave tv/radio on for "company," and since she likes to chew, a big nylabone or fill a hollow kong toy with something that will take her a few minutes to get out (frozen peanut butter, etc.). Even an almost-empty peanut butter jar. For some anxious dogs, getting them past that first 15 minutes alone helps a lot. Some dogs like to chew plastic, especially plastic that has their humans' scent on it, so besides your glasses, keep anything like a cell phone, tv remote, and especially eyedrop/medicine bottle or asthma inhaler out of her reach. Leave the crate door open when you're not training her in it, and put delicious, fun things in there so she'll see crate = good.

Thanks for ideas. I have been doing a Kong with peanut butter, but I should her some more chewy bones this weekend. I also dragged a TV out of the attic and started playing 6 how dog calming videos from YouTube for her yesterday. I have also started putting things in my night stand drawer. As for her crate, happily even despite hating being left alone in it, she still likes it. I have a camera set up, and she actually sleeps much of the night in there despite being free.

As for her being upset when you leave her for the bathroom, you might as well resign yourself to never being alone again in the bathroom. It's in dog DNA to guard their humans from escape, being sucked down the drain, or alien abduction when in that mysterious little space.

LOL Edited by XenaDad

Awww, I have a Xena too :) . I have no specific advice to give, but welcome.

They do learn, adapt, settle, but some do need more help than others. My Xena (who's baseline is 'basket case' for many reasons) was at a big loss when our old Jackie passed away even though I didn't think they were all that bonded. Getting Homer has settled her a bit, but I'm not suggesting another dog as a solution. Of course there's nothing WRONG with another dog...and perhaps an older fellow who has lost a home for some reason and already has manners/adapted would help her settle too....

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome. Xena is so beautiful.

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross