Sign in to follow this  
claudiav

Sting, The Gh Got Stood Up

https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/library-greyhound-dog-wants-kids-to-read

i don't understand why posting the link no longer works here....

Dog Showed Up For Story Time At Library, But Nobody Came To Read To Him

Then the internet responded in the BEST way ❤

PUBLISHED ON 02/12/2018
  • COMMENTS

This is Sting — a sweet therapy pup who loves nothing more than lending an ear.

tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg
John Muellner

For the past several years, he's been volunteering with the "Paws to Read" program at the White Bear Lake Library in Minnesota. There, he helps kids aged 4 to 8 feel more comfortable and confident about books and reading, simply by resting alongside them as they read stories to him aloud.

But last week, the unthinkable happened.

No one showed up.

John Muellner

Sting's handler, John Muellner, says he's aware that February is one of the slower months for the program, but had been hoping some young readers would come through in the end.

"I actually knew nobody signed up that afternoon, but Ann the librarian was going to try and drum up some business," Muellner told The Dodo. "And since it's fairly close to us, I thought why not just go?"

Muellner might have known what to expect, but Sting clearly didn't get the memo.

John Muellner

Sting seemed rather disappointed — a little brokenhearted, even.

John Muellner

Muellner later posted about Sting's sad predicament on Facebook.

Little could the dog have guessed what an overwhelming outpouring of support he'd receive.

Before long, Muellner's post went viral, with tens of thousands of people liking, sharing and commenting — all for Sting's benefit. Some folks even seemed willing to buy plane tickets to Minnesota just to read him a story.

"It's been insane," Muellner said. "I guess these days nothing surprises me with the internet. But the amount and with responses worldwide is a bit astounding."

But all the attention has had a real impact; Sting's reading schedule is now totally booked with eager kids for the next few months. He's now a star.

John Muellner

With this happy outcome, it's hard to imagine Sting ever being disappointed again. And best of all, he'll get the chance to make life a little better for the next generation of readers — just by being himself.

"It's great to see some of them come out of their shell," Muellner said. "I mean think about it, when's the last time you read out loud for 20 minutes?"

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

This is an awesome story! And totally viral now! It was even on our evening news a couple days ago! :wub: Sting! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

I saw this the other day on social media, but didn't see the happy ending! YAY!!!!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sting is known in the fur by Zoomdoggy here on GT. Shes been reporting on his fame on Facebook! I just want to give him a hug.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

So happy to see that Sting got a happy outcome.

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

Thank you, Sting, for doing what you do.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It must be similar to the disappointment that most of my hounds have shown when people don't stop to pet them when we're on a walk.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

That's a sweet--if somewhat sad--story.

I especially love that Sting looks completely uninterested when he finally has a reader. :lol

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13); Greys Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07), Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17)

That's a sweet--if somewhat sad--story.

I especially love that Sting looks completely uninterested when he finally has a reader. :lol

Sometimes greyhounds like to listen with their eyes closed :nod

Introducing Tessie, PK's Cat Island 12/9/13
Jackson the Airedale 12/12/05
Forever missing Grace 2/18/03 - 1/19/13 (RT's Grace, 18156/23B) and Fenway 10/10/06 - 9/25/16 (not registered)