Colitis Symptoms

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of stress induced colitis. My grey appears she might be suffering from this as there are flare ups now and again. If so, what is the best way to treat. Just thought I would check before going to the vet.

Thank you -- any input would be appreciated.

annie was treated for chronic colitis with flagyl. what's interesting is the new lower dosages that vets are prescribing. she was 65#, at the time of treatment way less.....250mg , 2xs daily for 2 months. then we lowered the dosage to once a day, then eventually every other day until she went off of it and used the flagyl for flair ups only.

she was on and off of flagyl for 2 months prior to the intervention w/ the vet. 5 days on...good poops, finished the week of flagyl and in a day or two cow plops or worse. she was a sensitive hound and i believe it was stress induced. but once we put her on the flagyl long term she was fine. the vet did consider leaving it on her permanently. if the dosage is low there are no chances of neurological side effects.

we kept her on a regular kibble and i did add white rice. the Owelo carrots, or pumpkin, or oatmeal did not have any impact on the output. also, we went to a simpler kibble, purina pro plan focus. for my dogs, less is better.

good luck, it just takes time. annie regained the 10#s she lost within 2 months.

Soft serve poops that aren't diet responsive.

Loud (very loud) stomach noises - grinding, like human hunger pangs but way louder

Vomiting of bile on an empty stomach

Violent car sickness

But all of these can have other reasons too, besides any kind of intestinal disease. You need to consider a food intolerance/allergy, and excess acid production, as well.

We used acupuncture with very good results for our girl, and one of the things the acupuncture vet addressed was Lilly's overall anxiety. This was a product she recommended and it did seem to help.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00541AB4A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

**trots out oft told story**

Rex was my colitis dog. Nothing I could scoop as opposed to hose in. He had a standing script for flagyl and his stomach would grumble so loud it would wake me. I tried what seemed like every premium food know to man and got so frustrated I finally thew a green bag of Iams in the cart. in two days you could bounce his poops off the sidewalk and his stomach never grumbled again. It's the beet pulp.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful. As greysmom said it could be some other intestinal disease and/or food intolerance. It has been very difficult feeding her since she arrived about two years ago. She does not like any kind of kibble so ended up on raw and managed to get her weight up but this might not be working for her now. I will probably have to cook for her when I figure out what she will eat.

There is no vomiting just the occasional flare up of liquid poop. I do feel she might be in pain sometimes.

Thanks again for your help.

I will second the Purina Pro Plan Focus as something that worked well for Rocket. I did add Olewo carrots to it, but probably wouldn't have had to. He has also been on Tylan with each meal for about 6 years, and even that didn't completely get rid of the Stress Colitis. We only had one or two bouts of the tummy growls in the year or so that he was eating the Pro Plan Focus. Also - Rocket refuses to eat IAMS Green Bag, so YMMV with any brand that you try. Basically, if you find a food that works well for your dog, stick with it.

He is now 12, and we recently did bloodwork when he wasn't feeling well, and found that he has some kidney issues. We had to change to a prescription kidney diet to get his labs back where they need to be, and the Purina kidney diet has been perfect with none of the stress colitis happening.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

You used to be able to buy Tylan powder on Amazon for pennies. It was labeled as a "chicken antibiotic" for home flocks. Then they figured out that dog owners were buying it instead of getting a rx filled and they jumped the price up significantly, and you can't buy it without a prescription from a vet.

Same with doxycycline (I think - one of the common antibiotics). It was packaged as a fish antibiotic for home aquariums and ponds. Same exact stuff as you get at the vet. I haven't checked recently, but it's probably gone the same way.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly