Senior Suddenly Peeing Inside

jaym1

One of our two greyhounds -- Rocko -- is coming up on 11 years. He's definitely been gradually slowing down over the past year, but he is otherwise in remarkably good health, and got his last checkup just a few months back.

Anyhow, starting a couple weeks ago, he has peed inside three times, which he has never, ever done in the past. This isn't marking, or leakage -- we're talking about large quantities -- and it usually happens when approaching the times when he normally goes out.

I know there are many factors that could suddenly lead to such behavior, and that those factors could be both physiologically and behaviorally based. I will be contacting our vet in Monday to get him tested to rule out infection.

But in the meantime, here's my question: we recently started putting water in Rocko's dry food to encourage him to eat. We don't fill up his bowl with water or anything, but we might be talking about as much as a half to a whole cup of water with each two-cup feeding (twice per day). Might we just be adding to much water into his diet, causing this whole problem?

In case anyone's wondering, there are a variety of things that sometimes dissuade him from eating, but primarily it's anxiety over the fact that our other greyhound (Vicki) is the dominant one, and when she is right around the corner eating, Rocko is sometimes put off. We thought making the food a bit more mushy might make him more motivated to eat.

Is there any possibility of taking him out sooner/more often? Our Monty is almost 12 and I've noticed that he has a greater difficulty holding his wastes than he used to - when he gets the urge it's absolutely time to take him out! Even when he's walking it seems his tail knows he's going before his head has as much as a hint that he has to stop and get ready. The increase in water with his food may be a contributing factor, but only if he is still drinking the same amount of 'free' water.

Has he had a recent blood test to check kidney values? I know that in cats there can be significant changes in kidney function before blood tests show anything even if they've started drinking more water - others here may know more about dogs' kidney blood tests. Maybe a specific gravity test on his urine might be in order.

Good luck!

Can you feed him in another room? This at least will decrease his anxiety. As for water added to his food, a 1/2-1 cup of water added to food should have no impact on his inability to hold his urine. I hope you find some answers from the vet.

It really sucks to get old.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

The extra water might be a factor, since you say it's happening near when he normally goes out. If he's getting extra water, he'd likely have to go out sooner, but the internal signals might not be clear enough anymore -- he might be relying on just habit as to when to go out. I'd check for a UTI anyways, and either discontinue the extra water or take him out an hour or so earlier. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks, all.

Vicki haunts him even when not in the room -- they are very attached to one another, but also locked in a weird, dysfunctional relationship! We have them separated as far apart as possible when eating. I'll make an effort to cut down on water in the food. If we add grated cheese (which we occasionally do), they go into a spiral of demanding ever more luxurious things mixed in with their kibble, and within a day or two will refuse to eat anything BUT food mixed with the finest sardines and cheeses and animal organs.

But perhaps, too, Rocko is just at the age where he's not longer as rock solid as he used to be with being able to hold it. Or maybe the weather, too, might be contributing. It's just shocking to see this kind of thing from him. Will still bring him to the vet for tests, since this kind of thing is a huge anomaly.

Blood work and urinalysis, and yes, I might cut back on the water for now.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My italian greyhound has rather routine and normal pee habits. When he suddenly started peeing in large quantities in multiple indoor locations, plus he had a bit of vomiting, I took him to the vet.

Turned out he had a massive amount of crystals in his urine. His bladder was so full of them you could see them on an xray! He was prescribed clamavox and cleared right up.

So, agreeing with the others that a urine check is needed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hope your vet visit turns up some answers. My Misty starting urinating in the house when she got older. I think part of it is just age, but she did end up having several UTIs and a kidney infection. Some dogs are more susceptible to those than others. I would have him checked often, as they can get infections any time and they can spread to kidneys or other places. He may just need to go out a lot more than he used to, but it should be somewhat treatable. Good luck!