Please Help! My Greyhound Can Hardly Walk

Guest Chestersmom

Guest Chestersmom

Hello,

MY 14 year old greyhound is having great difficulty standing and walking. He was recently put on Prednisone and Tramadol with little to no results. He has suffered greatly from side effects from these two medications so yesterday was put on Gabapentin in hopes it will help with pain.The vet said it was weakness in his lower spine. I just can't understand how it could have come on so suddenly. I am completely heartbroken and can't watch my dog deteriorate as each day passes. I am looking into acupuncture for him but can't afford it right now. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Could be LP, but I'm unfamiliar with it being a sudden onset, it's usually gradual. Gabapentin is the drug of choice and works rather efficiently. Could he also have suffered a stroke? If it's the latter there is little you can do but wait. Are movements uncoordinated or just difficult?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If you want to look into homeopathy I can help you - pm me if you like. In the meantime keep him warm, hot water bottle if he let's you. Put him under a blanket with it but not directly on his back. Saint Johns wort (hypericum perforatum) is the herb of choice. Add it to his diet (1 teaspoon per meal).It is known to help with nerve damages.

To build up muscle mass you can add rice bran oil to his diet.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Chestersmom

Maybe it is lumbarsacral stenosis? It hit my Rex hard. The controversial Depo Medrol shot worked wonders for him. Dr. Stack told me to find an older vet and it worked.

Thank you so much for your reply. My vet said it was weakness localied to the thoracolumbar area. I trust this vet with her diagnosis as to the area causing this problem but she told me that after speaking to two local neurologists in our area (Connecticut- Peiper Memorial Animal Hospital), both Dr.s stated, "Well you could give the Depo-Medrol shot to make her ( me the owner, not the dog) feel better but its not going to work". I'm completely heartbroken and just don;t know where to go from here.

Guest Chestersmom

Could be LP, but I'm unfamiliar with it being a sudden onset, it's usually gradual. Gabapentin is the drug of choice and works rather efficiently. Could he also have suffered a stroke? If it's the latter there is little you can do but wait. Are movements uncoordinated or just difficult?

Thank you for your reply. His movements appear difficult; like its too painful to just stand up and move around. He's wobbly and his rear legs cross over as tries to walk straight as well as his paws at times "knuckle over". He has slowed down over the years but within the past two weeks has really changed. I am up with him around the clock watching his every move and taking him out every two hours to relieve himself. Its been a stressful two weeks. I need to find a harness that will help support his back end when taking him outside.I'm praying that the gabapentin will give him some relief.

If you want to look into homeopathy I can help you - pm me if you like. In the meantime keep him warm, hot water bottle if he let's you. Put him under a blanket with it but not directly on his back. Saint Johns wort (hypericum perforatum) is the herb of choice. Add it to his diet (1 teaspoon per meal).It is known to help with nerve damages.

To build up muscle mass you can add rice bran oil to his diet.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am totally interested in Holistic medicine at this time but have no experience with it. I appreciate your advice. I would love to try acupuncture for him but cannot afford it at this time. I have set up a Go Fund Me page with little results. I need help to get the word out for my poor Chester. These items you mentioned, Saint Johns wart and rice bran oil can be purchased at a health food store. (meant to put a questiion mark but some of the keys on my computer are not working). Thank you so much.

It does sound like LS. My American Eskimo had it. She got around pretty well, stopped doing stairs and back end weakness when pooping, but in the last month it really did accelerate. She was on an anti inflaminant and muscle relaxer which made her more comfortable but did not slow down the progression.

Edited by fionasmom

Guest Chestersmom

It does sound like LS. My American Eskimo had it. She got around pretty well, stopped doing stairs and back end weakness when pooping, but in the last month it really did accelerate. She was on an anti inflaminant and muscle relaxer which made her more comfortable but did not slow down the progression.

Ok. Thank you for your reply. I'll look into the muscle relaxer for him.

It may be time to make a very difficult decision. Your dog is 14 years old and is suffering. This is probably the last thing you want to hear. I'm not trying to be cruel or unkind. I'm just very concerned that your boy is suffering unnecessarily. :cry1:grouphug

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I buy them at the pharmacy or I don't know how you call it - where people buy food for their horses, or via amazon.

Rice bran oil is used by riders to build up their horses for tournaments.

Look into accupressure. There are things you can do at home - maybe via youtube.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

What medications and what dosages is he currently taking?

If he's had a stroke, he *may* recover with time depending on a lot of different factors. Many of us have had stroke victimes even worse off than your dog come back to nearly 100%. The intervening time is very difficult however, as you have to help them do everything.

If it's LS or some other degenerative disease you are looking at something more serious, that he may not be able to bounce back from. He is at an advanced age for a greyhound - which is awesome, by the way! If he's not responding to treatment at all, and his quality of life is suffereing, it may indeed be time to consider letting him go.

You can get many homeopathic compounds at your local grocery store in the "natural food" section. You probably don't want to wait on mail order or delivery if you want to give them a try.

Good luck and {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think I met Chester several years ago at greyhound classes? IIRC, there is a fabulous photo of him flying over a jump with a huge smile on his face!

I am delighted to hear that Chester is 14, that is a remarkable age! But I am also sorry to hear about his troubles. Pagliaccio made it to 14.1 with the last year of his life complicated by LS and LP. His medications included Deramaxx, Tramadol, and Gabapentin. What initially helped him were Depo injections and when those stopped having enough of an effect we moved to acupuncture and that helped a lot. We continued with that until car rides became too stressful for my boy and at that point I elected to keep him at home and as comfortable as possible until he told me that he'd had enough. Having said all that, Pal's LS was not sudden onset as it sounds is the case with Chester. So, I would be thinking something else either neurological or some other insult to his spine or brain and would have to decide how much in the way of diagnostics would I want to put him through, considering his age and his quality of life. Pal's last day was grand and as well orchestrated as that day could have been, it was not a day too late and it was not a day too early, and we avoided a crisis situation which would have been terrible. There is no wrong decision, whatever you decide it is out of the love you have for your good boy.

Edited to correct: Pal's Depo injections were administered by his vet. Adequan is what I was able to give at home to both Pal and Seamie :heart:brokenheart

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Unfortunately the knuckling-over is suggestive of stroke damage. You're giving Chester every chance and you'll know you've gone that extra mile should you need to make that tough decision - the last act of loving kindness that an owner can give - to let him go. :bighug

The knuckling can also be neurological. That's what did Fuzzy in. He took deramaxx and prednisone.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I just started Gabepentin for myself (300 mg 2 x day) and it makes me pretty sleepy. Hope your pup is ok. Our Larry has LS and his L1/L2 is almost completely fused (no disc visible) and is really starting to have issues (will be 11 next month). Have you thought of a harness to help him up?

sending hugs. We had to let our 14 year 10 month old lab Chester go due to LS and issues as this :( it was so very hard but he seemed to be relieved we were setting him free. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Chestersmom

I think I met Chester several years ago at greyhound classes? IIRC, there is a fabulous photo of him flying over a jump with a huge smile on his face!

I am delighted to hear that Chester is 14, that is a remarkable age! But I am also sorry to hear about his troubles. Pagliaccio made it to 14.1 with the last year of his life complicated by LS and LP. His medications included Deramaxx, Tramadol, and Gabapentin. What initially helped him were Depo injections and when those stopped having enough of an effect we moved to acupuncture and that helped a lot. We continued with that until car rides became too stressful for my boy and at that point I elected to keep him at home and as comfortable as possible until he told me that he'd had enough. Having said all that, Pal's LS was not sudden onset as it sounds is the case with Chester. So, I would be thinking something else either neurological or some other insult to his spine or brain and would have to decide how much in the way of diagnostics would I want to put him through, considering his age and his quality of life. Pal's last day was grand and as well orchestrated as that day could have been, it was not a day too late and it was not a day too early, and we avoided a crisis situation which would have been terrible. There is no wrong decision, whatever you decide it is out of the love you have for your good boy.

Edited to correct: Pal's Depo injections were administered by his vet. Adequan is what I was able to give at home to both Pal and Seamie :heart:brokenheart

Yes. You did meet our Chester. We remember you from the Smarty Dog Center in Cheshire. I wish I could get a copy of that pic. Thanks so much for your positive advice. I love him so much and will continue to do all that I can for him. Thanks again.

I just started Gabepentin for myself (300 mg 2 x day) and it makes me pretty sleepy. Hope your pup is ok. Our Larry has LS and his L1/L2 is almost completely fused (no disc visible) and is really starting to have issues (will be 11 next month). Have you thought of a harness to help him up?

sending hugs. We had to let our 14 year 10 month old lab Chester go due to LS and issues as this :( it was so very hard but he seemed to be relieved we were setting him free. :grouphug

Thank you.

The knuckling can also be neurological. That's what did Fuzzy in. He took deramaxx and prednisone.

Yes. The prednisone has made him suffer badly from the side effects and I'm now at the point of decreasing it for him. I'm hoping the Gabapentin will help. Thank you,

It’s most likely the gabapentin-back the dose down for a few days while your hounds body adjusts. It’s not uncommon event.

Gabapentin is being used to help sedate naughty cats prior to their vet appointments now-works really well.

Thank you

Its most likely the gabapentin-back the dose down for a few days while your hounds body adjusts. Its not uncommon event.

Gabapentin is being used to help sedate naughty cats prior to their vet appointments now-works really well.

I'm confused. I read the OP as the issue has been going on for 2 weeks and pred and Tramadol didn't help so Gabapebtin was started yesterday and wouldn't be the culprit. Did I misunderstand? Did the knuckling under, stumbling, etc happen after the Gaba was started?

Would also help to know dosages and timing of the meds.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It may be time to make a very difficult decision. Your dog is 14 years old and is suffering. This is probably the last thing you want to hear. I'm not trying to be cruel or unkind. I'm just very concerned that your boy is suffering unnecessarily. :cry1:grouphug

I agree. My very first greyhound "Swampy" was incredibly old when we took her from a bad place to our own. After 20 months of a good life she became paralysed in the back legs .

Back then there weren't the veterinary advances we have now. On Vets suggestion we allowed her to suffer two weeks with medication that didn't work and could never have. Only wish we hadn't allowed the suffering to Swampy and ourselves. Letting them go is not cruel, but kind, loving and compassionate.

I agree with LaFlaca. 14 is exceptionally old. The wonderful thing about being a caretaker of pet is that you DON'T have to sit by and watch them die inch by inch.

I hope whatever happens your pup finds peace and comfort.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I hope one or all of the meds help Chester. Misty did well on gabapentin and prednisone for a while. You will know when it's not working--in the meantime it's worth a try. Also make sure he's not getting dehydrated--if they can't walk well they often don't drink as much as they should. Carry water to him, use pedialyte, chicken broth, or gatorade (not artificially sweetened). We got the Ruffwear harnesshttps://ruffwear.com/collections/harnesses/products/web-master-harness and it was a huge help for taking her out when she had the same kind of weakness in her spine. I don't know why they get that, and my vet couldn't really explain--she said a combination of old age and arthritis usually causes it, and sometimes it can be treated for a while. We lived with it with Misty until I knew that she wasn't enjoying life any more. I had a sense of peace knowing I had tried my best to keep her well, but also that I had made the right decision when the time came that she couldn't eat, walk, or be comfortable on her bed. Trust your gut! Best of luck with Chester and know that you are doing your best to take the best care of him.

He is 14. I think you need to ask yourself if you are looking for options for him or for you. I, personally, would sit down with him and ask him what he wants. And then listen. I did this with my Benny, and had to let him go at 11. He was ready, and he told me clearly.

I'm sorry.

My Allen was only 11.5 and we hadn't even had him for a year. His hind end would occasionally go haywire but not hit the ground. He was not a candidate for xrays as he had a history of malignant hyperthermia under sedation and extreme anxiety at the vet. Over the course of 2 weeks he needed assistance with a sling because his hind end constantly gave out. He was already on gabapentin and galliprant. No medicine would be able to restore him so I had to let him go.

Any decision will not be an easy one. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

it's always difficult to state this but it is very very painful when we out live our beloved dogs. at least dogs can go with dignity and compassion, but it still hurts like hell when it's time. exactly what have you discussed with your vet about quality of life? do you have one who will go at all cost to prolong life?or a vet whose compassion and humanity is an added bonus to their diagnostic skills? i hope your is the compassionate variety. and remember it's also your family's quality of life- hugs to all