Rabies Shot Frequency

Jeff

K got his first rabies vaccination when he was neutered at just under 3 months, in Jan 2017. Today, Jan 2018 he got his first booster, a 3yr. The vet mentioned that the manufacturer recommends another 3 year vaccination booster 1 year after the initial 3 year shot, so basically a shot for 3 years in a row.

Basically, they are saying... One year in 2017, Three year in 2018, Three year in 2019, and then next would be 2022. I've never heard of that, anyone else?

They are aware of his initial dose in 2017.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Jeff, here it is the first shot good for one year. Then the second shot is good for three as long as you don't go one day over the one year anniversary. Then in three years another shot.

Sounds to me like the manufacturer is looking to sell more vaccine. Either the second shot is good for three years or it isn't.

Edited by dmdsmoxie

Check your state law for what is required. Some have rules about the timing of the first two shots.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

agreed, what is in question here is the 3rd shot.

I agree with the above, the vet and the manufacturer are trying to gain a little more. His certificate says 3 year (his second shot overall) it should be good for 3 years.

AL is a 3yr state.

Around here rabies shots are every 3 years. And my vets stops entirelly whrn her patients become senior dogs.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I suggest that you check with the manufacturer - they should have a help line. I had the same problem with the new Lyme vaccine from Zoetec - the vet told me that even though my dogs have been getting the Lyme vaccine for years now since I was switching to a new one that guarantees that your dog will not get symptoms (or they pay medical bills), they told me that I had to have the shot and then another one in 3 weeks which is what the sales rep told them. I got in touch with the manufacturer and they had to do some checking but, they told me that I only needed the one shot since I was within the 12 year period and my dog would still be covered.

3 years. Absolutely no reason to vaccinate sooner.

I'm assuming your vet did the vaccine at 3 mo necause its state law? In and of itself a terrible idea for so many reasons:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rabies-vaccination-13-ways-to-vaccinate-more-safely/

Also can't believe your vet neutered your dog at 3 mos (way too early) and gave a vaccine at the same time.

But this is all not what you asked at all. So yeah, 3 years. :lol

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The law in Texas changed around 2000 to three year rabies. The pup gets the initial shot at the last round of puppy shots, then a follow up one year later. Then it is every 3 years, However, I know from working at dog day care/boarding and from personal experience many vets still say even if the vaccine has "tri" in its name they say it is only good for one year. Totally untrue. Rabies here is around $10 but they want the dogs back in every year for more. I have literally strong armed Petmobile to write "three year rabies" on paperwork.

Bob Rogers is as controversial as Jean Dodds but he pushed through 3 year rabies here. My first grey died of what was then called vaccine induced hemolytic anemia.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documents/vet-vaccines.pdf

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

3 years. Absolutely no reason to vaccinate sooner.

I'm assuming your vet did the vaccine at 3 mo necause its state law? In and of itself a terrible idea for so many reasons:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/rabies-vaccination-13-ways-to-vaccinate-more-safely/

Also can't believe your vet neutered your dog at 3 mos (way too early) and gave a vaccine at the same time.

But this is all not what you asked at all. So yeah, 3 years. :lol

This! I would be looking for a less $$ motivated vet. The first shot is good for a year. The 3 year shots are good for 3 years, period. Actually they're both the same thing just labeled different. The rabies vaccine is far from innocuous and over vaccination can have a steep price. Also it has been known for some time now that such early neutering is detrimental.

Also can't believe your vet neutered your dog at 3 mos (way too early)

There is absolutely ZERO non-conflicting data on that, no proof at all.

similar but unrelated:I read an article yesterday somewhat linking bloat to the raised feeders that we all use to reduce bloat.

Zero relevant, current, non-conflicting data.

They just don't study these things well enough to make a knowledgeable recommendation based on "fact" rather then possibility/chance.

The most knowable dog men and women I've had the privilege to know have all said it is best to wait until the growth plates close to neuter. and that is not 3 months . Municipal pounds may neuter way too early to avoid oops litters but to the best of breeders and owners do not.

I've never seen a municipal pound do surgeries, educated vets do, and it seems vets with current education, not from the 70s, see benefit from pediatric spay/neuter . Vets around here will spay/neuter anything 2 pounds and over, K was 15 pounds. Here is a just one of many good reads on the subject, this links to page 2 which addresses some of your old thinking.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/overview-pediatric-spay-and-neuter-benefits-and-techniques?id=&sk=&date=&%0A%09%09%09&pageID=2

There is one vet here who doesn't do pediatric work, the other vets on the board tell him, he needs to get on the ball, old logic does not apply.

There are actually studies that support an increase in behavioral issues including aggression with early spay/neutering (prior to 6 months).

The standard has been 6 months for a very long time, based primarily on the need for control of our stray population and the lowered risk of breast cancer in female dogs who are spayed before their first heat (risk of BC increases with each additional heat though the increase with only one is quite small). There are quite a few new studies that have found increased risks of various types of cancer, including bone, as well as hip dysplasia in dogs neutered before growth plate closure (which takes as much as 2 years). This seems to be more pronounced in males than females. Vets who are informed and up on current science are starting to iffer vasectomies and oopherectomies as alternatives as a result.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've never seen a municipal pound do surgeries, educated vets do, and it seems vets with current education, not from the 70s, see benefit from pediatric spay/neuter .

http://dallascityhall.com/departments/dallas-animal-services/Pages/Adoptable-Dogs-.aspx

Having dealt with dozens of pounds and hundreds of dogs I've never seen one that would let an intact dog leave the premises.

Edited by Hubcitypam

ours does, to rescues and to adopters with a paid voucher if the animal is under weight for a pediatric spay/neuter.

Back to rabies, I emailed the vet with details and a copy of K's previous rabies cert, we'll see if/what they reply.

This is so weird!

Hello xxx, I'm sorry about the confusion surrounding K's rabies vaccine yesterday. When Dr. xx was talking about the first and second rabies vaccine she was referring to the 3 year rabies only. Even though K had a rabies vaccine last year it was only a 1 year vaccine. He still needs an initial 3 year vaccine followed up by another 3 year booster in one year. If you have any further questions please call us at xxx. Thanks, xxx

so incredibly weird!

Even more weird...
After discussing this last night, Trudy said she'd ask a vet who works with the shelter and actually gives these shots...

I asked dr xx this am, she said that always confuses her, so she'd look it up

Even a vet who gives these doesn't know

I'll see if I can get ahold of the manufacturer

The manufacturer somewhat disagrees. Based on the label (I provided the serial number), which the rep quoted, the pet gets an initial dose at 12 weeks, then another dose a year later, i.e. a year and 12 weeks. From that point, it is considered a 3yr vaccine, so the next dose would be at 4 years 12 weeks.

She did say that local ordinance could vary that, now I need to figure out who I can call about that...

:rofl

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.