Halitosis?

Dave_P

I have had Milo for 7 months or so. About 5 years old. He came from the breeder, where I think he ate raw meats.

Anyway, his breath was terrible. People 6 feet away avoided him (ha ha). He lets me try to remove plaque with a strong dental pick, but it is on there good. So I have been preparing myself for a large bill from the vet, to clean his teeth.

Instead, I bought the chewy things for his teeth - I think its the same company makes those big red erasers for school kids. OraVet chewys. I give him just a couple every week. What a difference in just a few weeks - I can kiss him now, and don't feel like i have to puke afterwards! Big thumbs up for OraVet!

And, FYI, after 7-8 months here, he is acting almost like a normal dog. Plays with my other 2 dogs, goes outside on his own, etc, etc. So to those new owners: keep your chin up - your dog will be a fine addition to your family.

I still can't get him into my truck, nor will he walk around my neighbors house. But check back in 6 months or so - maybe we can master those tasks also.

Dave

PS some of the skin damage/ bare spots he came with, have not changed. Guess he will have visible scars for life, from the track life. Oh well. He gets scratched up plenty wrassling with my other dogs and they heal up OK.

Great update for Milo!

Some of the scars may fill in yet, or not. You never know til it happens. Or doesn't. :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I give mine the oravet chews, too, plus I brush their teeth at least 5x a week. But before, with other greys, an under-anesthesia dental cleaning was still needed every 2-3 years. I figured that was because I've never been able to brush the insides of their teeth very well. Jeter needed teeth pulled on his pre-adoption dental, so I figured he was at extra risk. He's been here 3 years now, and hasn't needed a dental. Those chews may cost more than a dental cleaning :) , but at least the dogs will not have to undergo anesthesia as often.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Probably 90% of scars that greyhounds have occured during puppyhood from rough play with siblings in the puppy pens.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• 3 weeks later...

Probably 90% of scars that greyhounds have occured during puppyhood from rough play with siblings in the puppy pens.

That seems to make sense - I think/assume the dogs wear muzzles whenever they are near the track. Minor Facial scars from my other 2 dogs heal up pretty fast.

Milo is actually acting very Alpha Dog-ish sometimes . Gets into a mess of positioning/biting/asserting with my little german shepard. He can get vicious!

Hair problems: he is losing hair on his butt and the back of his front shoulders. No wear and tear on those places. Don't know why.

Hope you all are enjoying the winter!

Dave

Please get over the idea your dog somehow suffered at the track.

His scars could be anything from a lose wire on a fence to his siblings playing to rough.

I read an amusing article in "Gun Dog" magazine once. A gentleman had written in begging for help getting his Springer to "spring" into his truck. The writer replied, "Your dog weighs what, 35 pounds? Pick her up, put her in. Problem solved." I laughed my butt off. Now, no doubt your dog weighs more than 35. But if you can, I'm guessing the indignity of being lifted and put in might spur him to do it himself. My first greyhound jumped through the rear window of my SUV from the ground and got just fine, so the old chestnut that males "can't" jump is wrong.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

" indignity of being lifted and put in might spur him to do it himself."

this I have a big foster male who wouldn't jump in the back of my suv. No problem, I can lift 70lb ok.

He never let me do it again. "I'll do it myself, thanks"

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.