Grapehounds 2018 Seneca Lodge Roll Call

winnie

Bonny, Darcy and Celeste all went to Grapehounds in their very senior years. Grapehounds can be a very relaxing event for dogs, unless you have a nervous one that won’t settle. Darcy was 14.5 y/o at her last Grapehounds. She’d join us at wineries for the a couple of hours and then we’d let her relax in the cabin while we continued to go out. The old crab pot still loved to travel. The advantage of staying at Seneca Lodge is that you’re close to everything. Dropping off a hound mid-day isn’t too much of an inconvenience.

Jen had an excellent point about Grapehounds Central too. They set-up two large tents at Atwater, which is a beautiful setting. One for vendors and another just for people. You can taste at a couple of wineries and then set-up camp there. They’ll have a tasting bar right inside the tent and you can purchase bottles there. On the other side of the lake, Lakewood has a large flat lawn area for hanging out too (although no tent).

I can’t speak to the kids though. That all depends on how much you can handle. :lol Our friends Brian and Kevin always have their son in tow, but he is in the double digits and content with playing on his iPad and ignoring us boring adults.

Here is a *very* short clip of Bonny at her last Grapehounds when she was about 12.5 y/o. Darcy was 13.5 y/o. We actually got them to “run” at the Seneca Lodge tennis court.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Nice :D Love hearing these stories. Bella's doing pretty well, doing zoomies and such and is perfectly content to snooze alone, too. Sounds like there are plenty of ways that we can all hang out but options for DH or I to take the boy elsewhere to blow off steam. Or leave the girls for a bit and go for a hike, for example.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

There are definitely a lot of other fun things to do. There's a goat farm not far, a great farmers market in Ithaca on Sunday mornings, good hiking, you can sail on the lake, there's easy access to swimming or wading right in Watkins Glen. I'm sure there are other kid friendly things I am completely unaware of. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our local friends, Ryan and Nicole Edwards, came to Grapehounds with their young son Cole. I'm thinking that he was 2 or 3 y/o at the time. I almost forgot about that since we didn't run into them that often since they rented a house. However, we did meet up with them one afternoon at the goat farm for a cheese tasting (https://livelyrun.com/). I don't think they're on this GreyTalk, but I know Ryan is pretty active in the Facebook group. He can give you tips if you post there.

Kevin and Brian have taken their son swimming at the lake too, which is literally minutes from Seneca Lodge.

I remember seeing some kids at the wineries. I think with one dog and one 4 year old, you could handle it. Like Laura and Jen said, there are so many options as to how you want to do things. That's the nice thing about Grapehounds---you can do as much or as little as you want. Most of the wineries are level, so Bella shouldn't have any trouble. It's just that getting in and out of the car, though. Calvin was 12 last year, and slowing down (sadly, we wont have the big guy with us this year), and Winnie had 3 legs. We like to do LOTS of wineries, so sometimes we'd leave the dogs in the van with the AC on for a short time. We'd just ask them if they wanted to get out, and if they didn't seem thrilled, we left them in. :lol

Where are you staying? Bringing Bella with you to the wineries might be a better option, depending on the policies of where you are. Some places don't allow you to leave the dogs in the room unattended.

And how long are you staying? Your little guy might be bored for a week, but probably not for a few days.

Laura, I'm not sure Atwater is going to be the host winery this year again. It might be the Firehouse Distillery up in Ovid, but I don't know if plans are finalized yet.

I don't recall any kid specific things to do---except the goat farm---but here is something not too far away, in Corning, that looks like fun.

http://www.parkavesportscenter.com/

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I called to adjust our reservation by a day and we are in cabin 87 - time to share the good, bad & ugly :lol

Well, now that I know where Cabin 87 is (one of the stand alone ones in the center area), I believe that Petra and Jack stayed there during their last Grapehounds a couple of years ago. It's one of the newer ones, but has a tiny porch. Only one-step, from what I recall, which would be good for Bella.

• 2 weeks later...

Jackie, I'm just seeing that you're in #95! OMG, we loved that cabin. I thought they were supposed to tear it down. It's pretty darn old, yes, but that's part of the charm of the Lodge. They didn't used to have all those nice new, but smaller, cabins when we started staying there, and we don't mind "rustic". It IS rustic. But they remodeled the bathroom a few years ago (check out the screaming monkey in the wall), and it's nice. The cabin is huge, and has lots of storage space. It's right off the parking lot, so you can literally park at the door. Doug loved it because he could sit on the little stoop and talk to everyone. If it had had a fridge and microwave, I think he would have moved in. :lol We took our little mini fridge with us because they're kind of the "ice nazis". But there's that 2 dog limit. So now we're a lot farther away, but have all the comforts of home in our little trailer---AC, full size fridge, sink, microwave and stove, TV, pool at the campground.

So, don't expect too much, and I think you'll love it!

Nancy, this made me laugh that Doug wanted to move in!! If it's good enough for the Burg people, it's good enough for us! And Burke showed me a photo of the screaming monkey when I saw them a couple weeks ago. OMG that will give us nightmares! So looking forward to seeing you. Enjoy your trailer, I think that sounds like HEAVEN!

Edited by hidoey

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

I'm getting excited! I do want to do the glassmaking at the Corning Museum (thanks Tricia!), just debating the reservation times.

I'm drinking through last summer's stash of Atwater Bubble and Lakewood Candeo these days. More to buy in a few weeks! Can't wait. :cheers

I'm getting excited! I do want to do the glassmaking at the Corning Museum (thanks Tricia!), just debating the reservation times.

Great activity for kids! Corning is a terrific town to explore. Hand and Foot is a nice restaurant there. Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

NEW FLASH!!!

it looks like joe: BUSHMAN STUDIO will be venturing up, most likely solo. he just sent in the paperwork. i guess better late than never! felix can't make the trip unless the weather changes drastically, which i sincerely doubt. It looks like joe will be hanging at sampson state park- cheap camping, clean new showers! one step up from sleeping in the back of the CRV which he was seriously contemplating! we just replaced our 39 year old camping stove that exploded on our last trip!

Do stop by and see our new prints of vintage GH post cards and our new run of blue prints. All of our art work will be $25 and under! (except for a couple reasonable original oils). We have some new antique finds!!!

Edited by cleptogrey

We're getting so excited! Staying Wednesday till Monday, and hopefully we can make it down to the Lodge to hang out a little. If it's not too hot, maybe the girls can run in the tennis court.

Tricia, our Bubbles and Candeos are long gone! We need more too---I've really been into sparkly lately. JR Dill has a good one too---Cayuga White Rise.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

You guys inspired me. Opened a bottle of Ravines chard last night. I'm almost out of wine from last year, one white and a red or two that I am aging.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

NEW FLASH!!!

it looks like joe: BUSHMAN STUDIO will be venturing up, most likely solo. he just sent in the paperwork. i guess better late than never! felix can't make the trip unless the weather changes drastically, which i sincerely doubt. It looks like joe will be hanging at sampson state park- cheap camping, clean new showers! one step up from sleeping in the back of the CRV which he was seriously contemplating! we just replaced our 39 year old camping stove that exploded on our last trip!

Just a bit of trivia.... That Sampson state park is named after Sean's great great grandfather - Admiral William T Sampson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_T._Sampson

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

That's so cool, Mo!

BTW, Sara asked about "must do" things at Grapehounds. I mentioned the Prime Rib at Seneca Lodge. I told her that she could find Sean there. :lol

I've just turned my attention to this vacation and I'm so excited! Thank you to Jen and Laura for being cruise directors.

Tricia too! I'm just Vickie next to her Julie. Plus, she has the Cruise Director shirt.