Grapehounds 2018 Seneca Lodge Roll Call

winnie

'Tis the season to book reservations at Seneca Lodge in Watkins Glen for Grapehounds 2018. After marathon phone calls (Seneca Lodge doesn't do online reservations), I know several of us got cabins.

We'll be in our usual Cabin 85. Arriving Monday, July 23 and leaving Monday, July 30.

I'll let those of you on GreyTalk respond with your cabins. I know a couple of folks not on GreyTalk and will share theirs.

Brian, Kevin and David... Cabin 80

Craig and Caroline... Cabin 84

seneca-lodge-map-color800.jpg

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I will be there, hopefully with Inugrey. Cabin 77 or 78, not sure which yet. I booked Thurs to Mon as usual. One of these years I'd like to come for longer again, but I don't think this one is it.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have been calling periodically (ya know, work) but haven't been able to get through. I actually got the phone to ring but it just rang for 5 minutes straight before I had to give up.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

For those who have booked a whole week, whachoo guys do during the time that isn't the event?

We go sailing on Seneca Lake.

We visit The Farm Sanctuary.

We visit the goats and sample goat cheese at Lively Run Dairy.

We blow glass Christmas Ornaments at The Corning Glass Museum.

We eat great meals in Trumansburg. See restaurants 1 and 2 on the Trip Advisor list.

We take brewery tours at Ithaca Beer Co.

Sometimes we get our lazy butts in gear and hike to Taughannock Falls.

And there are so many wineries on the tour, so we need to get to manyl of those, as well. It's a very busy week. :lol

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Here are my Grapehounds pics from 2014 and 2015. You can get a look at some of these fun activities. :)

These are the Christmas ornaments we made last summer at the Corning Glass Museum.

36098130452_a323a910f8_z_d.jpg

The New York Times wrote a great piece about The Finger Lakes Region last summer. That article is here.

My friends call me Julie the Cruise Director. :lol

Edited by 45MPHK9

Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I was hoping Julie, er Tricia would chime in. :lol But yes, so many wineries that you can’t possibly cover in a weekend. The rest is for when you need a break from drinking.

I am SO excited - I have a cabin booked! No idea which number, he wouldn't tell me, but will send confirmation in the mail. Arrive July 25 (wed) depart Sunday. I haven't confirmed with DH but frankly, I'm going on my own with the girls if he can't/won't go. :pepper (And that's not an uh-oh, our marriage is in trouble - it's just that we talk about doing stuff like this all the time, then don't plan the time and don't get around to it. So, I'm taking the reins).

We go sailing on Seneca Lake.

We visit The Farm Sanctuary.

We visit the goats and sample goat cheese at Lively Run Dairy.

We blow glass Christmas Ornaments at The Corning Glass Museum.

We eat great meals in Trumansburg. See restaurants 1 and 2 on the Trip Advisor list.

We take brewery tours at Ithaca Beer Co.

Sometimes we get our lazy butts in gear and hike to Taughannock Falls.

And there are so many wineries on the tour, so we need to get to manyl of those, as well. It's a very busy week. :lol

Oh WOW! Thanks! :D Doggies allowed at all these places?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh WOW! Thanks! :D Doggies allowed at all these places?

Unfortunately not. Dogs are allowed at the participating wineries and at the Taughannock Falls. Dogs are left at the cabin for all else. After a few hours touring wineries, our hounds usually appreciate a break.

If you don't want to leave your dog alone, they usually offer babysitting services at the host winery in the Grapehounds tent.

I am SO excited - I have a cabin booked! No idea which number, he wouldn't tell me, but will send confirmation in the mail. Arrive July 25 (wed) depart Sunday. I haven't confirmed with DH but frankly, I'm going on my own with the girls if he can't/won't go. :pepper (And that's not an uh-oh, our marriage is in trouble - it's just that we talk about doing stuff like this all the time, then don't plan the time and don't get around to it. So, I'm taking the reins).

Woo-Hoo!!! You also got to experience the archaic reservation system at the Lodge. There are plenty of other places to stay, but the Lodge is close to the wineries, cheap and has a good restaurant/bar onsite.

• 4 months later...

We booked an older cabin at Seneca Lodge, #95. As long as it doesn't have stairs so Tangerine can be in the fun, it's all good! We'll be there Wednesday the 25th and leave Sunday the 29th.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Ooh, I want to know what cabin we are in - we booked a while ago but don't know which cabin yet.

The lady was super nice and told me my cabin number right away. She warned me that it's an older one, but that it's air conditioned, and has two queen beds. She also reassured me that it's only one small step into the cabin, which is important to me since my disabled girl can't do stairs. Hope you get your # soon!

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

We booked an older cabin at Seneca Lodge, #95. As long as it doesn't have stairs so Tangerine can be in the fun, it's all good! We'll be there Wednesday the 25th and leave Sunday the 29th.

YAY Jackie! Burke had that cabin for the past two years. He loved it. Tricia, not so much. :lol It has two full beds, modern bathroom and AC at least. Glad you’re coming!

And yes, only one small step inside.

It was also famously occupied by Nancy and Doug for years before they instituted the 2-dog rule.

YAY Jackie! Burke had that cabin for the past two years. He loved it. Tricia, not so much. :lol It has two full beds, modern bathroom and AC at least. Glad you’re coming!

And yes, only one small step inside.

It was also famously occupied by Nancy and Doug for years before they instituted the 2-dog rule.

Hi Laura! I feel lucky to have gotten it. We've never been to Grapehounds before, so this will be fun. I wonder why Tricia didn't love it!???? Too rough!? Well, I'll take Burke and Nancy and Doug's word that it was a good one! See you in a few weeks!

Tricia did not love the lumpy mattress. It rained a ton last year and the cabin seemed damp despite the air conditioning. You’ll love it though, Jackie. :lol

Holly Oaks Holly

Tricia did not love the lumpy mattress. It rained a ton last year and the cabin seemed damp despite the air conditioning. You’ll love it though, Jackie. :lol

:kickbutt

Here are my Grapehounds pics from 2014 and 2015. You can get a look at some of these fun activities. :)

These are the Christmas ornaments we made last summer at the Corning Glass Museum.

36098130452_a323a910f8_z_d.jpg

The New York Times wrote a great piece about The Finger Lakes Region last summer. That article is here.

My friends call me Julie the Cruise Director. :lol

i'm tempted to have joe go as a vendor and may i please be your child and go along w/ ma & pa????

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Laura! I feel lucky to have gotten it. We've never been to Grapehounds before, so this will be fun. I wonder why Tricia didn't love it!???? Too rough!? Well, I'll take Burke and Nancy and Doug's word that it was a good one! See you in a few weeks!

Jackie, I'm just seeing that you're in #95! OMG, we loved that cabin. I thought they were supposed to tear it down. It's pretty darn old, yes, but that's part of the charm of the Lodge. They didn't used to have all those nice new, but smaller, cabins when we started staying there, and we don't mind "rustic". It IS rustic. But they remodeled the bathroom a few years ago (check out the screaming monkey in the wall), and it's nice. The cabin is huge, and has lots of storage space. It's right off the parking lot, so you can literally park at the door. Doug loved it because he could sit on the little stoop and talk to everyone. If it had had a fridge and microwave, I think he would have moved in. :lol We took our little mini fridge with us because they're kind of the "ice nazis". But there's that 2 dog limit. So now we're a lot farther away, but have all the comforts of home in our little trailer---AC, full size fridge, sink, microwave and stove, TV, pool at the campground.

So, don't expect too much, and I think you'll love it!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Two questions that I would really like brutally honest answers to.

(1) Thoughts on kids. We have a 4 y.o. boy who likes being on the move anytime he can. I'm a little concerned that trying to manage him with so many dogs around, some of whom may be bothered/excited by him running and playing when space is available.

(2) Bella is 13 and is starting to resemble a German Shepherd in her back end (getting weaker). We certainly can bring things for her to lie on, but....

Wondering if we should skip and come next year sans child.

Thanks

I think you can accommodate an older/slower dog if you don't feel like you need to cram a ton of wineries in and/or she will be happy staying back in the cabin some of the time or can be left in the car with AC on some of the time (this is what I do with Violet to avoid tons of jumping in/out if the car because of her disc issues).

Hopefully someone else can address your question about kids. Otherwise, you might want to check winery policies. I honestly don't remember seeing many kids in the wineries, but maybe I just blocked them out. :lol

I do think keeping eyes on am active kid and managing an older dog will make for a less enjoyable winery visit, but I would just opt for more time setting up camp at Grapehounds central and do less tastings or so them when Bella is resting back at your place.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."