Hello And Happy New Year

Guest LockportGrey

Guest LockportGrey

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to join your forum.
We are considering adopting a greyhound and have begun doing research to be sure this will work for the grey and us.
My wife recently retired and I am self employed and am usually away from our home from 3-5 hours a day. My wife is presently at home all day and may work part time several days a week if she finds an acceptable job. (she's a retired RN)
Our first 2 dogs were Golden Retrievers which each lived 11 and 13 years, 1 died of a stroke and the other from pancreatic cancer.
Our last dog was a Great Dane/Black Lab mix which we rescued when she was approx. 6 months old. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma this summer at the age of 12 years old and we said goodbye to her in October. She was a spoiled baby who was a couch potato who loved everyone and every dog she met. She often ran around in our fenced yard to exercise herself and loved to go for walks and rides in the car. She could predict a storm or rainfall 10 minutes prior to it's arrival. Fireworks were a nightmare that had to be dealt with by giving her Benadryl hidden in a teaspoon of peanut butter.
We live about 30 miles south of Chicago and live here year round. We'll be attending some Meet and Greets in the next few weeks to meet some greys and speak with their rescuers.
I ordered "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" by Cynthia A. Branigan today and have been going over this forum for information regarding this unique breed.
All tips and information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Happy New Year and welcome!

My 2 greyhounds are my first. They are and have been exceptional dogs in my opinion. Sure they have their little quirks, but I feel any breed does.

I will probably adopt more grey in the future... they are just wonderful dogs.

As for info- find a local rescue around you and maybe stop by and talk to them, visit some dogs (offer to walk them and help out).

I initially had a friend who fostered greys so I had met several of hers and her fosters. They were always sweet and quiet so I fell in love with the breed. PLUS I'm a huge fan of adopting animals that need homes. All of our fur kids have been adopted and all of them in the future will be adopted.

Good luck!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Guest LockportGrey

Happy New Year and welcome!

My 2 greyhounds are my first. They are and have been exceptional dogs in my opinion. Sure they have their little quirks, but I feel any breed does.

I will probably adopt more grey in the future... they are just wonderful dogs.

As for info- find a local rescue around you and maybe stop by and talk to them, visit some dogs (offer to walk them and help out).

I initially had a friend who fostered greys so I had met several of hers and her fosters. They were always sweet and quiet so I fell in love with the breed. PLUS I'm a huge fan of adopting animals that need homes. All of our fur kids have been adopted and all of them in the future will be adopted.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I'm all for adoption and have room for a new family member.

I look forward to providing a good, loving home to a grey in need.

My passion is retired racing greyhounds. We have had greys since 1998. I love the breed, and can't see anything else beyond their needle noses.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Happy New Year and welcome from Germany.

Be careful - once you adopted a grey you will become addicted to these wonderful creatures. You will join our cult (club) and become a crazy greyhound person whose home and car will become more and more greyhound themed. 😉

Strangers will stalk you in the streets just to tell you that they love your dog and tell you about their own greyhound(s) - and you will do the same whenever you see someone walking a grey.😁

And it is not uncommon that a second or a third grey will join the first.

And you will love every second of it.💖

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Yep, what Smurfette said :D . I got Johnny when I lost my Lab, now I recommend greys to everyone. Or maybe a Galgo or an Ibizian or... :P

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Hi from Bloomingdale! :)

saw your signon name and was hoping you were from Lockport :D

greyhounds are AWESOME. :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest LockportGrey

Hi from Bloomingdale! :)

saw your signon name and was hoping you were from Lockport :D

greyhounds are AWESOME. :)

I guess that gives it away. :D

Happy New Year and welcome from Germany.

Be careful - once you adopted a grey you will become addicted to these wonderful creatures. You will join our cult (club) and become a crazy greyhound person whose home and car will become more and more greyhound themed.

Strangers will stalk you in the streets just to tell you that they love your dog and tell you about their own greyhound(s) - and you will do the same whenever you see someone walking a grey.

And it is not uncommon that a second or a third grey will join the first.

And you will love every second of it.

Yep - I haven't had a dog since Cody (my grey) died thirteen years ago - and I'm STILL in the cult of greyhound!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Welcome! Our sympathies to you on the loss of your great dane/lab mix. Osteosarcoma hits our beloved large breeds hard, including greyhounds. Your description of your dane/lab as a couch potato who loved everybody sounds like a common greyhound personality type. If you have a choice of adoption groups, you may want to talk with people from them all and see which one gets you the best feeling in terms of communication and culture. If you turn in an application to more than one group, be sure to let them all know. If you adopted all your previous dogs as puppies, you may enjoy the process of getting an adult dog whose personality and energy level can be matched to what you want as much as possible. But also remember that a retired racer's personality will blossom as it becomes used to life as a pet -- don't discount a dog just because it seems a little too quiet in the kennel environment.

Books -- I also like Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood. (sp?) A lot of practical information, although a little of it is somewhat dated now.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest LockportGrey

We're attending "Meet and Greet's" at local pet stores to determine which adoption group is best for the grey and for us. We're leaning towards one that does an interview, a home visit and fosters the grey prior to placement in their new home. I'm also interested in volunteering for this group to help this great cause.

We are in the western suburbs. Used greyhounds only which I highly recommend!! My first dog is the greyhound I have now. Adopted him when he was 2.5 years old, now hes 9.5 years. He is the best dog, everyone who meets him loves him.

Edited by mrsmcd7

Guest LockportGrey

We are in the western suburbs. Used greyhounds only which I highly recommend!! My first dog is the greyhound I have now. Adopted him when he was 2.5 years old, now hes 9.5 years. He is the best dog, everyone who meets him loves him.

That's who we narrowed it down to. We've heard nothing but good thinks about them and we like the idea that they foster your grey before he/she becomes part of the family. We look forward to meeting you at one of their events.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I live in Oak Lawn and the group I work with is American Greyhound.We are a foster based group as well. If I can help you find your next best friend please let me know. Greyhounds Only is an awesome group and they have a great event in the Fall that is a lot of fun.

Guest LockportGrey

Yes they cat test and kid test as well as foster first. Theres also a class if you have kids which is nice. Good luck!!

Hello! I live in Oak Lawn and the group I work with is American Greyhound.We are a foster based group as well. If I can help you find your next best friend please let me know. Greyhounds Only is an awesome group and they have a great event in the Fall that is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the great info.

• 3 weeks later...

Your angels sound like they were very loved and happy :beatheart

You will love being a greyhound dad. Welcome!

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle