Foley Won't Walk On Cold Days

Guest satoroboto

Guest satoroboto

Two questions - How cold is too cold to take a greyhound out on a walk? If they don't go for walks, do they burn their energy by running around the yard or house?

I know that "cold" can be a relative term ... We've had Foley for just a week and a half now. Initially, we walked him three times a day, but since the cold hit the Mid-Atlantic (weather in the 20's, feels like in the single digits) he will make it down to the driveway and then freeze. We put two coats on him (Voyagers K9 tummy warmer and winter coat) and applied wax to his paws this last time. He has yet to really run around our yard, though he will run back to the door once he has done his business.

We just want to be sure he is getting enough activity and we aren't keeping him cooped up too much. Thank you for any advice!

I don't walk my dogs below about -10. Even with full winter gear on they just don't enjoy it. We're in a cold snap right now and we've been -20 and below (this morning it was -30) for the past week. The girls do their business as quick as they can and come back in. Summit I can barely get to go out long enough to go to the bathroom. I had to bring him to work with me this morning because he absolutely would not stay out long enough to poop this morning. So he came with me and I took him out at lunch again. It's an annoying issue we have with him when the weather hits frigid, but he's almost 13 so to some extent he's allowed.

For exercise we go to agility a couple times a week for about an hour, they'll wrestle a bit in the living room together and we can play some fetch and tug, sometimes if things get really bad I'll take them to the local doggy daycare which offers a treadmill service and I'll sit for an hour and run them on the treadmills, and then we also do a lot of tricks training in the evening.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I start getting nervous when the temperature drops below 20 deg. Fahrenheit, as it seems like that is when the dog's feet begin to bother them. That said, they seem to walk it out pretty quickly. Today it was around 18 deg Fahrenheit and I took Logan and Max for 0.8 miles in the morning, and 0.6 miles this evening. Would have gone farther this evening except I'm developing a cold or flu. By comparison, they may go 1.5-2.0 miles in a single session, and 3-3.5 miles for the day, in warmer weather. If it gets into the single digits they are walking out to the end of the driveway and back, or just being let into the backyard.

Also have to note that, per the post above, the Canadians seem to go in much colder weather, I think Canadian hounds (and their people) are tougher :-)

Edited by rsieg

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest satoroboto

Thanks for the replies. Definitely some ideas we had not considered re: indoor agility and treadmills! Any tips on convincing Foley to come out for walks, or have we just met his limit? Despite not going out for any extended walks the past two days, he hasn't gotten into any trouble, but this could be because he is still getting used to his new surroundings.

Don't worry about it for the first couple weeks. He's using up a lot of energy just learning about you and your home. I'd continue offering walks; if he doesn't want to go past the end of the driveway, that's OK; one day he will :) .

FWIW, unless it's very windy, just the tummy warmer might be enough for a shorter walk (15 minutes or so). Sometimes a dog will feel restricted in a heavier coat or a coat that covers their butt, until they get used to it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think more than the cold, the newness has worn off on him. Sometimes, newly adopted dogs are very compliant the first couple of days, and then decide to feel their oats. Sometimes something spooks them and they back off from an activity. Could be a garbage truck or noisy bus passed and he doesn't want to walk right now. He probably will later on. I don't know too many dogs that don't love their walk.

Encourage him or let him work it out for himself. If it is just the cold weather; take heart, it will get warm again.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest satoroboto

He's been better today. Seemed super happy to traipse around in the snow, he just doesn't like the one road that will lead to the rest of the neighborhood (likely because of some loud sounds on prior walks). Hopefully he overcome this later on, until then, we walk around and around our cul-de-sac! Wish we lived closed to everyone down in Sussex County, I read that you have weekly meetups. I'll have to see what some of the greyhounds do up here in New Castle!

We do very quick pee runs. It's expected to be -38C here tonight. Too cold for a pupper, often too cold to poop. It's all a part of owning a dog, for their safety (and yours) just don't do a walk, you simply shouldn't in certain circumstances. It's not enjoyable for paws on pavement/sidewalk/snow, especially without boots.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

IMHO exercise for a very new grey can be over-rated. Yes, it's important, but if the weather prohibits it, adapt. Where did your dog come from? If it's a warm climate, they may not be at all used to cold. SO, don't force him to stay out too much. Over time, he'll adapt to your climate. Probably not this winter tho. Just get the business done and call it good.

My Diana NEVER adapted to the cold. I tried to wait her out when it was sleeting and below freezing, and refused to go outside, and she held her bladder for 18 hours. I finally shoved her out the door, she peed on the doorstep and I let her in immediately. We came to an agreement. When it was too cold - just go out, do the business, and back in right away. It made her willing to go out, and not think she had to go "get exercise" in weather she detested. And she knew if she "did business" she could come in immediately. So she stopped "holding it" and didn't feel the need to "go" in the house.

My other grey, Sobe, hated coats, but would walk in ANY weather. They're all different.

Your dog is VERY NEW. Do what works.

Many hounds, including those who race in Florida, are actually born and raised in the midwest, so they might not be as clueless about cold as you imagine!

20 isn't even that cold to me. Right now it's 5 degrees, well colder with the wind, and it wouldn't even occur to me to alter my daily outing schedule.

On Thursday when we are having a blizzard, yes, I'll cut it short a bit!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...

I find it's a combination of elements. Damp & cold...in and out. On cold windy days (teens and single digets) Annie loved it, Felix runs back in as soon as possible. Frigid sunny days as long was they have some layers they are fine. Around here in NYC area it's the dampness that seems to cut walks or potty trips short. I always find on rainy days a hand full of small dog biscuits gets mine out and sniffing and eventually peeing. That should work.