Gig 2018! Get Ready To Partaaayy!

jetcitywoman

So vendor registrations have begun, so it's time to do a little more planning. To start things off, I have a question for attendees. This year Nittany has set the Sunday vending hours to be 9 - 5. I know in the past lots of people leave for home on Sunday morning, but this new time makes me wonder if people are staying later to get a little more shopping in. What does everyone think about the new hours? Have you all been wanting more vendors to stick around on Sunday?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

We get to GIG on Thursday and head home on Sunday. I can't figure out why would anyone need an entire day of Sunday shopping. We're been attending GIG for years, and judging by the hotel parking lots, seems like going home is the only destination for the overwhelming majority of GIG attendees on Sunday morning. We live only 1.5 hours from Gettysburg and even we don't hang around on Sunday. If you schlepped to GIG from a far off state, no way you'd be shopping at 2pm on Sunday. Just my two cents.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Thanks, Tricia. I think that's the common understanding (mine too). But I'm curious if that's changing with some people now, or if Nittany is just testing the waters.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Having a full day of vending on Sunday will be a big burden for vendors. Sales looked to be pretty dead by mid afternoon on Saturday last year. Compared to previous years, there looked to be fewer attendees.

I never even go by the venue on Sunday morning.

I hope vendors will not be penalized if they do not want to be stuck selling all day on Sunday. Many have a long drive home.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think this is a nice idea - stretching the event longer into Sunday. I'm thinking some people may extend their time there if there is more to do on Sunday. I'll be curious to see how it works out. For me, I still have to leave early on Sunday because I travel from MA and I work at a school and can't take the Monday off since I took off Thursday and Friday - but that's just my personal work schedule/requirement. When I retire in a few years when I have more time, I may be inclined to stay the extra day at GIG.

We get to GIG on Thursday and head home on Sunday. I can't figure out why would anyone need an entire day of Sunday shopping. We're been attending GIG for years, and judging by the hotel parking lots, seems like going home is the only destination for the overwhelming majority of GIG attendees on Sunday morning. We live only 1.5 hours from Gettysburg and even we don't hang around on Sunday. If you schlepped to GIG from a far off state, no way you'd be shopping at 2pm on Sunday. Just my two cents.

As a vendor, this is our feeling as well.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I think that a lot of people live local enough that they may choose to day trip up on Sunday only. I have wanted to vend on Sunday for a long time. Not necessarily until 5 pm, but we'll see how it goes.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

We have to leave Sun morning. We have a long haul home. Have always left Sun. If I have not bought what I want Fri or Sat, I won't buy it Sun. I agree with everything Trish wrote. If there are day trippers will it offset costs for the vendors staying another night. Or, traveling all night or farther into Monday????

I think that a lot of people live local enough that they may choose to day trip up on Sunday only. I have wanted to vend on Sunday for a long time. Not necessarily until 5 pm, but we'll see how it goes.

Exactly this. There are many folks that can only attend for a day or even just for Sat and Sunday. If you arrive on a Saturday it shouldn’t be a mad dash to get your shopping done before the vendors start to pack up....

We usually only drive over for the day. Because of this we come Friday or Saturday. I don't think having vendors there all day Sunday is necessary.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

How will this impact the Saturday night gathering which is typically held in the Expo Center?

We're about 1.5 hours from Gettysburg, but come Friday and leave Sunday. We have plenty of time to get our shopping in on Friday/Saturday. I can see the value for day trippers, but even when I was one, I wanted to get there early to get the best selection.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I'm pretty easygoing as a vendor, so I'm willing to give it a try and see how it goes. The only thing I worry about is that if there aren't enough sales on Sunday to warrant staying until 5pm, it will be hard to take down the booth early and load up into the car. Not impossible, but it's really hard (and actually looks bad) when there are some customers shopping but some of the vendors are closing up shop. I guess I'll have to think about it some more.

How will this impact the Saturday night gathering which is typically held in the Expo Center?

We're about 1.5 hours from Gettysburg, but come Friday and leave Sunday. We have plenty of time to get our shopping in on Friday/Saturday. I can see the value for day trippers, but even when I was one, I wanted to get there early to get the best selection.

Probably go back to the Eisenhower. It's accepting dogs again. New owner. so

Yep, just checked the schedule and the Saturday night dinner is in the hotel ballroom.

Oh, and it reminded me that the Sunday vending officially closes at 3pm, not 5pm like I originally stated. Sorry about that! Since I'm fairly local, I could "go the distance" and still have time to pack and drive home on Sunday night and get to work on Monday. I'll think about doing that, just to see what the Sunday shopping crowd is like.

It may depend on how many people live close enough and want to shop again on Sunday or go just for the day versus those of us who drive long distances so we have to leave early on Sunday. Do you have stats regarding how far away attendees live from GIG? Are any other activities planned for Sunday?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Not at all, but maybe Nittany does. (The group who organizes the event.)

There are a couple of other events on Sunday's schedule: the fun run and a speaker.

Edited by jetcitywoman

Not at all, but maybe Nittany does. (The group who organizes the event.)

There are a couple of other events on Sunday's schedule: the fun run and a speaker.

As a vendor, we don't get to participate a lot at the event during the day. The Sunday Fun Run was one that we could take advantage of. Now we can't.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The GIG schedule seems to correspond well with the extended vending hours. As a seasoned GIG attendee, I'm not likely to shop as much, but that was my primary motivation in attending when I was a new owner.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

• 3 weeks later...

Asaaaaaack!!! I can't make it this year! (Sorry, MP...) I didn't look at the dates & signed up for a trip! Oh, well... there's always next year... (AND I'll be retired by then!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I am thinking of maybe attending Gig this year. I have never been and would love to see the history of Gettysburg as well. I do have a question in regard to the event on Saturday night are the ghs able to attend as well or is it a people only event. Is there anything that is a do not miss while I am there? Do most people stay at the Eisenhower? Thanks in advance.

Amy

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I didn't look at the schedule but if you're talking about the big dinner, it's people only. There are dog sitters available if you need one.

Before last year, the Eisenhower was the popular hotel. Last year they didn't accept dogs, so we were spread out throughout the town. The Eisenhower is having dogs again this year and Nittany has rooms at a reduced rate.

I can't say if everyone will be there but it will probably be filled.

If you want to see Gettysburg, I can recommend two non-greyhound activities. I would try the horseback tour of the battlefield or the Segway tour. These are not part of the greyhound event.

i'm hoping that this year i can pull myself away from our booth and see something. joe and i work and that's it....maybe a quiet dinner out. by the end of the day- after rearranging our booth 900xs we both collapse! any suggestions of MUST SEE, MUST DO ACTIVITIES?

i'm hoping that this year i can pull myself away from our booth and see something. joe and i work and that's it....maybe a quiet dinner out. by the end of the day- after rearranging our booth 900xs we both collapse! any suggestions of MUST SEE, MUST DO ACTIVITIES?

Eat here. So worth the money. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan