Muzzle, Soft Cone, Or D I Y Ideas?

Sweep had an unfortunate rite of passage this weekend: first stitches since we adopted her. She had an attack of the zoomies in the back yard Saturday afternoon and tore the webbing between her middle toes on a back foot, so off to the e-vet we went. She got six stitches and will be on antibiotics for two weeks. She's been very good and doesn't seem to be in pain, but since getting her bandage removed this morning at our regular vet, she's definitely more interested in that foot. The massive plastic cone they sent her home with from the e-vet is a no-go since she can't see at all with it on. We bought her a soft cone but I'm not sure it's big enough to totally prevent access. Any brilliant DIY ideas for overnight and when we're not home, beyond just taping up her muzzle? Thanks!

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I use muzzles with stool guards for most problems. Usually works great, the dogs are already used to them, and there's no unwanted banging of the cone against furniture.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We used a muzzle when Rocket had some small abrasions that he kept licking. He wasn't happy about it, but the muzzle worked better than a cone and allowed him to sleep.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

A dense thick human sock, long enough to get above the hock. Vet wrap. Bitter Yuck spray, not Bitter Apple. Bitter Apple is still tasty to many dogs.

If the wound re-opens see if your vet will glue it. The BY spray can go on wounds and broken skin, says my vet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you! I'll probably end up trying a combo of these approaches.

We used a muzzle when Rocket had some small abrasions that he kept licking. He wasn't happy about it, but the muzzle worked better than a cone and allowed him to sleep.

Did you have to tape it? I don't have a stool guard.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

You can redneck it with a towel and duct tape.

add a layer of corrugated cardboard on top of the towel and you get a home made bite-not collar. it works! just measure from the shoulder blade to right under the jaw. since it's not rigid plastic(which the collars are) it will break down a bit at the ends but still works. what a hoot watching them turn around and get out of tight spaces with it on- built in entertainment.

You can redneck it with a towel and duct tape.

add a layer of corrugated cardboard on top of the towel and you get a home made bite-not collar. it works! just measure from the shoulder blade to right under the jaw. since it's not rigid plastic(which the collars are) it will break down a bit at the ends but still works. what a hoot watching them turn around and get out of tight spaces with it on- built in entertainment.

Ahh, thank you both! I couldn't think of the Bite Not collar's name and now I'm seeing the threads on how to make your own with a towel, etc. I knew I'd seen some DIY approaches before.

I second a baby sock and vet wrap. A baby sock should be breathable enough for the wound and the vet wrap should be able to hold it snug on the leg. Just careful on how tight you wind it!

A dense thick human sock, long enough to get above the hock. Vet wrap. Bitter Yuck spray, not Bitter Apple. Bitter Apple is still tasty to many dogs.

If the wound re-opens see if your vet will glue it. The BY spray can go on wounds and broken skin, says my vet.

Does spraying this on the wound do anything to the wound itself, i.e. infection? Vet might just suppose it doesnt sting but I'm curious... Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thank you! I'll probably end up trying a combo of these approaches.

Did you have to tape it? I don't have a stool guard.

Honestly, it was so long ago I don't recall if the stool guard was in it or not. I'm thinking that it wasn't. I have stool guards for the muzzles but as far as I can remember have never used them. Didn't need to tape it - we mostly used it overnight since he would lick at the wounds during the night when we were sleeping. I was able to keep an eye on him the rest of the time.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Baby sock and vet wrap is my vote.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

For now, a baby sock and one of the leather moccasins I bought her earlier this year seems to be doing the trick. Overnight will be the test. :goodluck

Thanks again, everyone--I have a couple of back-up plans now.

Oh Sweep, really? Rachel, if you go the baby sock route you can use an IV bag over it for trips outside to keep it dry.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.