Sign in to follow this  
greysmom

Great International Houndie Handoff - 6Th Anniversary

2011 was a very active year for us. Particularly the last 6 months. My DH retired after working for the local City government for 32 years. He also lost his mother after a mercifully quick descent into dementia. Our heart greyhound Dude was diagnosed with osteo in January of that year and underwent an amp and chemo. We lost him in October, a week after we lost another of our greyhounds to PLE.

But by the first of November, we were already understanding our house was too quiet after losing two of our pack. And we needed something positive to focus on and help us through our grief. I began haunting local adoption group sites, and the sites of people we knew from GT, including Northern Greyhound Adoptions. It was there that I found this boy:

25053111328_52329a1bca_z.jpgwhiskey 3 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

KTs Phys Ed had been with the group for quite a while, and he was the half brother to our Dude. I was smitten. DH was more smitten. And we began to figure out how to get a full grown dog from Vermont to Oregon in November. Through the help of wonderful friends Donna (chilidog) and Deb (djsgreys), we got it worked out! Kts Phys Ed, named Whiskey, was coming home!

Then a couple weeks later, Deb sent me an email. There was a picture and one word: Interested?

38209363274_8a1cb5d551_c.jpgIMG_0311 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

The follow up emails went fast and furious, and in the space of a day, we were also getting a puppy! The little girl in the upper right, who we named Lilly. OMG!! :yikes

The scheme that we worked out was intricate and relied on split second timing! ;) Whiskey would spend the night at Donna's place, where Deb would pick him up the next day. Then the two of them would fly to Vancouver BC. In the meantime, Deb's husband John would pick up Lilly, and fly with her to Vancouver BC. (It must be noted that Deb and John were also moving dogs from their own adoption group to BC, so it wasn't just for US!) Then Deb and John would bring Whiskey and Lilly over the border to meet me in Blaine, Washington, where Jennie (jenners) lives. Jennie had graciously said I could invite myself to stay at her house for this!

The day finally came and I loaded up the car and drove the 7 hours from Portland to the border of Oh!Canada. I arrived just in time for Jennie to say "They're here!", jump in her car, and head to the Peace Arch Border Crossing.

Jennie and I parked, and began to walk towards the border. *I* couldn't go across because my passport had expired, :rolleyes: so Deb and John were crossing to meet us. Literally. They just walked across the border with two dogs and no one stopped them! The entire time we weree exchanging dogs and talking pictures we expected the border patrol to show up and ask us what was going on, or at least check for papers for the dogs, or SOMEthing!!! But they never did!

We will never be able to thank Donna and Deb and John and Jennie enough for helping out with this caper!

Here's Jennie! With Deb and John in the background, along with the border crossing.

27139996419_6e31d29b57_c.jpgPeace Arch by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Meeting Lilly for the first time! :wub:

38916463511_b887a53045_c.jpgPeace Arch 4 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Me, Jennie, Deb, Whiskey, and Lilly

27139996979_2b23255d06_c.jpgPeace Arch 10 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Whiskey and Lilly hadn't seen each other before that meeting, but they bonded together rather quickly. We spent the rest of the afternoon playing with them, and taking them outside. Jennie gallantly volunteered to stay up and monitor them all night so that I could get enough sleep for the long drive back to Portland the next day. I think the three of them had way too much fun whilst I was sleeping!

27139990069_9d782b5d71_c.jpgWhiskey and Miss Jenn 3 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38030406055_b374999c03_c.jpgLilly 7 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201232094_05ef74fe77_c.jpgL&W with Miss Jenn 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

24052268897_6e7473f54f_c.jpgLilly 3 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201235044_4d95b325b3_c.jpgL&W 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

We had an uneventful drive home,

38916457651_07967f2dd3_c.jpgTrip Home Lilly by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38916456741_b1f12963e0_c.jpgTrip Home Whiskey by Chris Harper, on Flickr

and met the greyhound brother and sisters and new Daddyman!

And we all live happily ever after!

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

What could be better -- a tale of dashing about, daring-do ... and dogs!

Who donated the two slippers to the cause?

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

2ptxppe.jpg

"Who donated the two slippers to the cause?"

I did! We had a most wonderful night, the 3 of us, trying hard to be really really quiet so Chris could sleep :D

I have seen Lilly since, when she came up for a visit, and that wee puppy is now the TALLEST greyhound I have ever seen; look!

Lilly6_zpsm8ds0uqf.jpg

Jennie

gallery_13080_2897_2816.jpg

Sending warm and loving hugs to all who have ever loved and lost an animal friend
Miss Jennifer, Hooman, Miss Luna, Gimme Pig, and Misser Neville, Hedgamahog
Hedgehog Welfare Society

Happy Gotcha Days Whiskey and KLilly! We :heart this story of course!

Tin and Michael, Greyhound: Ambi, plus Lucas, Baltasar, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan and Enzo the Galgos.
Remembering houndie Bridge Angels Tosca, Jamey, Master, Jules, Marco and Diego.

It was the most AMAZING adventure! Although I can't believe it was six years ago already! Still get a smile on my face whenever i see the peace crossing on TV or in a picture.

Love to Whiskey and Lilly on your very Special Gotcha Day.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Happy gotcha day Whiskey and Lilly! Has it really been THAT long!?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Happy Gotcha Day Whiskey and Lilly! This is one of my favorite stories!

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls Beka (BM Beko) and Ivy (Carolina Spoon)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) - you are forever in our hearts.

One of the best stories ever! 2011? Seems like yesterday butt look at the size of Lilly :wub: Whiskey's grey face :wub:

Happy Int'l Gotcha Day!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Some tales are worth retelling & just never get old.

Happy 6th Gotcha day to you Lilly & WB

Daphne & Penny

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I am trying to wrap my mind about the concept of Lilly in a bag and just can't do it. Nope. Just can't.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I am trying to wrap my mind about the concept of Lilly in a bag and just can't do it. Nope. Just can't.

John set the bag down on the ground and unzipped it. I was so ready to see my cute, tiny, 12 week old puppy!!! Then he started lifting her out, and her legs just kept coming and coming and coming out of the bag!!! She had already nearly outgrown the crate I brought to bring her home in, AND the one we had at home for her! She was into a full size crate in another two months!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

:) :) :)

An added note of interest is that my Nigel was at the Vermont Kennel at the same time as Whiskey.

They traveled there together from Florida.

At that time Nigel was called 'Tequila' by the kennel staff. Seems they have a habit of 'Theme names' for arriving hauls of hounds and that particular load had a liquor theme :lol

gallery_21971_3279_4012.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Ruby (Watch Me Dash),Nigel (Nigel) and Sid (Peteles Tiger)

Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope,BillieJean,Bandit and especially Nixon (Starz Sammie) waiting at the Bridge.

I love this story so much! I can't BELIEVE it's been six years already, that's messed up. I remember your post and the pictures as if it happened a couple of years ago! :wow

Whiskey and Lilly really hit the jackpot :wub:.... and so did you! :beatheart

gallery_15587_3582_3452.jpg

Kerry with Pippin (Paid Vacation), adopted 4/15/2017
Missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin (PA's Paris), the biggest Love I've ever known, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan (Leon B) :brokenheart :brokenheart, every single day.

​I love this story! And look at how little Lilly was, and how black Whiskey was.

gallery_22128_3329_11266.jpg
Jerilyn, devoted Mistress to Lila (Good Looking)

Oh, and I had made a puppy-sized coat for Lilly which was too small for her on about day 10 :lol

Jennie

Sending warm and loving hugs to all who have ever loved and lost an animal friend
Hedgehog Welfare Society

Jennie, I found that coat the other day in the bottom of a box of other puppy stuff she outgrew and thought I should try it on Lizzie!

Miss Chris;)

"I found that coat the other day in the bottom of a box of other puppy stuff she outgrew and thought I should try it on Lizzie!"

Or another puppy?????

Jennie

Hedgehog Welfare Society

I love this story!!!! Happy gotcha day to all of you! :beatheart

Kendra, devoted walker of Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb).
Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/7/04 - 2/20/14, who opened our hearts to greyhounds,
    and Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/16/03 - 10/29/14, who really knew what a good dog she was.

2mmh25j.jpg2qwewxv.jpg2cok3td.jpg