Talk To Me About Canine Dementia

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Been following the FB page regularly, but not so much on the site. But i'm back looking for help, please!

Trixie is 12 now. In April 2015 she was Dx with thyroid cancer and had the thyroid removed on one side with the tumor enclosed. We chose to follow up with chemo rather than radiation, so did probably a year of Palladia and then she was also on Piroxicam for a while. Regular visits with the oncologist showed changes in her kidney function and possibly some cardiac issues, so they took her off both of those. She's now on the following: Benazapril 15 mg 2x day; soloxine / thyrokare .5 mg 2x day; amlodipine 5 mg 1x day; 1/4 of an 81 mg aspirin 2x day; ranitidine / zantac 75 mg 2x day.

Over the course of this summer, her drinking input and pee output have increased. She's regularly tested for UTIs and none show - the assumption is that the kidneys are damaged from the chemo meds and it's the hand we're dealt. She's started stumbling around more, not keeping her feet under her the way she used to. We chalked that up to old age. But 12 isn't THAT old. But she's now showing more alarming signs and I think it's dementia.

She was always our bulletproof pup. We could brush teeth, do her claws, excise her corns, inspect her feet, take out stitches, whatever...she never flinched. Now she flies into full panic mode about her claws and teeth, and the anxiety level seems to have risen dramatically about most everything. We've stopped brushing teeth and now use a rub-on treatment every night, but even there she often panics, squeals, leaps up and runs away. The claws are getting desperate tho. She just won't let us touch her feet and she's starting to look like an abuse victim. I've been reading up on Canine Dementia, and she has all the telltale signs.

We've had plenty of old dogs over the years, but this is the first dementia we've experienced. I'm planning on getting her back into the vet to double check everything, but we were in not long ago and all her labs were normal (for her), so I don't want to stress her more by repeated trips to the vet. I know there's Anipryl mentioned as being a possible med. Wondered if there's any info on using cannabis derivitives for this. In the recent "In the Company of Dogs" mailorder catalog (not an endorsement....), they advertised a cannabis based supplement - liquid and pill form - that are advised for anxiety. Any feedback / advice / thoughts on managing this, meds as a possibility, etc. would be most appreciated!

I'm sorry. I don't have any medication suggestions, but if you have other dogs in the house, please use caution. We suspect our Bonny had canine dementia. She no longer respected the boundaries of her space aggressive sister Darcy. Darcy was also at an advanced age, with minimal eyesight. Our story had a tragic ending.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Amazon has some books about the topic, including Remember Me? Loving and Caring for a Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. I don't have experience with the condition, but I got the book when I had an aging greyhound. She died before I needed the book, though.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My Lou experienced this months before he passed. Excessive barking, whining not knowing what he wanted. Up during the night pacing.

Vet asked me a few questions about him when the vet felt it was his time. Vet said "he is tired" and that was that for me.

Good luck.

I made good experiences with conium (a homeopathic remedy) when Colin showed signs of dementia. With it he was clearer, less anxious and he walked steadier.

He had kidney damage and I treated him with renes viscum and wanted to change to the suc-therapy - both are holistic but sadly he passed do to a spinal stroke.

You can also put Bach's rescue remedy into her drinking water. It may help with the fear.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Amazon has some books about the topic, including Remember Me? Loving and Caring for a Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. I don't have experience with the condition, but I got the book when I had an aging greyhound. She died before I needed the book, though.

Love this author. Haven't read this book yet, but highly recommend it.

Also, as someone else stated, I would try Senilife. If that isn't effective, then I would do the CCD medication.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.