Food Poll

MDBeland

Which Food Do You Give Your GH  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which Food Do You Give Your GH

• Iams Green Bag
    • Diamond High Energy/Diamond Naturals (my local adoption center recommends)
    • Taste of the Wild Pacific/Costco's Salmon/Sweet Pot. (GH Friends of NJ recommends)
    • Purina Pro
    • Wellness CORE Grain-Free
    • BLUE Freedom Grain Free
    • Canidae Grain Free
    • Merrick Grain Free
    • Raw/Homemade
    • Other high end food

As far as I know Purina discontinued Hi Pro about 7 years ago and sent a lot of racing people scrambling. Did you mean Purina Pro Plan?

My greys ate either green bag Iams or Purina One. The two ;ittle hoodlums here can eat anything with no transition so we switch it up. Right now they are working on Nature's recipe grain free chicken, sweet potato and pumpkin - not because it is grain free but because it looked like Thanksgiving. :)

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Tractor Supply's 4Health Beef & Potato here. Decent price and I haven't had any problems with any of my fosters or my own dogs. A friend uses the 4Health Salmon & Potato for her grey with allergies.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Taste of the Wild, but they always get something extra in the food, try to mix it up with BilJac, Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, bone broth, stuff like that. The extra usually includes a half can of salt-free tuna in at dinner.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

How do you know when to switch/try a different food - Poo consistency?

Poo consistency, skin or coat condition, tummy problems, not enthusiastic about the food, not being satisfied after a meal, things like that.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

after trying numerous high end and some old and true foods i ended up feeding the dogs purina pro plan focus one summer when i was visiting san antonio. i was not able to get holistic select out there and blue seal kibbles which are economical, never had a recall are basically a midwest/ ny food. so, dd picked up a sack of pro plan focus and the dogs have been on it ever since. currently it's the salmon and rice variety that they are doing well on. there is a modest amount of protein- 26-8% depending upon the variety and the fat content is not overwhelming. (those were the criteria that i gave DD when she was dog food shopping when the pups stayed with her.

Canide & Nutro have changed over the years. The original Fromm has a pretty low protein content, that's what i fed my welsh terrier years ago and Nature's Variety/Prairie has sky rocketed! that seemed to be a nice kibble but it's one of the most expensive around here. Pro Pac and any of the Kirkland foods(high and low end) have not agreed. So, right now...PRO PLAN FOCUS until they revise their recipe.

Edited by cleptogrey

Nutra Nuggets Lamb and Rice here for many, many years. It's recipe has been *very* stable in the long term, unlike many foods who switch them up every few years. And it's never been under a recall. And I can get it at my local grocery store (or at Costco). The protein isn't too high to cause gas and the carb source seems to not be an issue either. My dogs have excellent small poops, and maintain their weight easily, and never have gas (unless they are sick).

I think it's somewhere between Pro Plan and the Costco foods as far as "premium-ness." I'm of the opinion you should feed whatever works best for your dog, regardless of it's brand or rating. Grain free foods are a scam, and incorrect for feeding to omnivorous animals - they do need carbs from some source to survive just like people.

Find a food that works for your dogs and that you can afford and go with that.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Celestrina

Angie has sensitivities to chicken, and would generally have softer poo until we started her on Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato and Bison. It firms her right up. We mix in a bit of homemade beef bone broth too.

Monty has been switched from Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Venison & Sweet Potato - because it has lower fat and our other dog had periodic bouts of IBS/IBD symptoms, and his output has improved in consistency and the noxious fumes have pretty much stopped (except when he gets treats). His reaction to Taste was great at first but went softer and stinkier after years on it. I don't know if it was this specific type of food, or just switching to something different, but we're pleased with it.

Victor High Energy is working very well for my dogs. It's available at my local feed store. They used to carry Diamond and Taste of the Wild. After the various Diamond recalls, they decided to discontinue any Diamond products.

Over the years I've used a wide variety of products. My first Grey had a lot of GI problems before I started her on grain free food. Though she seemed to do generally well on several different grain free formulas, every single one I tried gave her gas. This rendered her lovely to look at but difficult with whom to share a room. Over time I experimented and discovered the she could tolerate some grains, it just depended on the amount & type used. Wheat, corn and rice were all problems for her. Rice and potatoes where the cause of the gaseous emissions. Another complicating factor was getting a food high enough in calories to maintain weight without having to feed large quantities of food. The Victor foods both with & without grains seem to have struck a good balance, with their High Energy formula being the best overall despite the fact that is has grains as the 2nd & 4th ingredients listed. Go figure.

• 4 weeks later...