Urinary Tract Infection

What are the tell-tale signs of a UTI in Greyhounds?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Sometimes (with my boys), peeing in the house. Straining to get any urine out. Wanting to go out all the time but only peeing a little while there. Blood in the urine. Leaking.

Basically, any change in the dog's behavior related to peeing.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Housebreaking failures are the usual first sign.

That's what I thought. (sigh)

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Will I be asked to bring a urine sample to the vet?

They'll want one, yes. If you can't get it to the vet promptly, you can put it in the fridge for a couple hours. You can also wait until you get to the vet if the dog will pee there, on leash. Or the vet can do a cystocentesis (needle in the bladder); that costs more.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

They'll want one, yes. If you can't get it to the vet promptly, you can put it in the fridge for a couple hours. You can also wait until you get to the vet if the dog will pee there, on leash. Or the vet can do a cystocentesis (needle in the bladder); that costs more.

Needle in the bladder! EEEK! Sounds ghastly. I'll catch some urine before we go in for the appointment. Thanks!

Just went through this today with my italian greyhound, Charlie. Starting peeing in the house just a "wee" little bit a few weeks ago that turned into full bladder empltying. I brought a pee nasty looking sample in and it showed sodium urate crystals. Xray done to rule out bladder stones was clear.

He'd also vomiting several soon after meals. Xray showed some thickening of the small intestine wall but not horribly so. He had still been able to poop but I had a concern about a partial blockage. No sign of that.

Vet did comment that the vomiting and bowel issues could be due to stress from the urine crystals.

He was started on Clamavox and we will retest urine in 3 weeks.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just went through this today with my italian greyhound, Charlie. Starting peeing in the house just a "wee" little bit a few weeks ago that turned into full bladder empltying. I brought a pee nasty looking sample in and it showed sodium urate crystals. Xray done to rule out bladder stones was clear.

He'd also vomiting several soon after meals. Xray showed some thickening of the small intestine wall but not horribly so. He had still been able to poop but I had a concern about a partial blockage. No sign of that.

Vet did comment that the vomiting and bowel issues could be due to stress from the urine crystals.

He was started on Clamavox and we will retest urine in 3 weeks.

Thanks, Ducky. I've suspected that Lola might have a UTI since she came home 2 months ago but chalked it up to PTSD from Wendy's illness and death. I've never had a dog that needed to pee so often. Now she has begun having accidents in the house usually right next to the door that leads to her potty area. She knows to come get me when she needs out, even during the night, so it's unusual that she'd pee in the house when I'm right there. She's also been licking her lady parts quite a bit. We'll see what the vet says.

Years ago I had a grey named JJ. He was the perfect boy, never once peed in the house until one day he just stood in the hall and peed a river. Took him to the vet. Major crystals in his bladder. Got drugs. Finished the drugs, Checked him again and no crystals until about three months later. Same thing, peed in the house. Back to the vet. More meds. Vet said if it kept happening he would need special (read EXPENSIVE) food. Jokingly asked the vet if cranberry juice would help. He thought about it and then said, sure, you can try it if he'll drink it. So we put about a 1/4 cup of cranberry juice on his kibble. The first few days he just looked at us like what are you giving me?? But after a while, if we ran out or forgot to put it on his food, he'd bark at us! Sooooo, long story short - never had a problem again. He got either juice or a cranberry capsule every time he ate. Might want to try the capsules. One warning, if the powder gets out of the capsule, it STAINS!!!

Halise

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

Years ago I had a grey named JJ. He was the perfect boy, never once peed in the house until one day he just stood in the hall and peed a river. Took him to the vet. Major crystals in his bladder. Got drugs. Finished the drugs, Checked him again and no crystals until about three months later. Same thing, peed in the house. Back to the vet. More meds. Vet said if it kept happening he would need special (read EXPENSIVE) food. Jokingly asked the vet if cranberry juice would help. He thought about it and then said, sure, you can try it if he'll drink it. So we put about a 1/4 cup of cranberry juice on his kibble. The first few days he just looked at us like what are you giving me?? But after a while, if we ran out or forgot to put it on his food, he'd bark at us! Sooooo, long story short - never had a problem again. He got either juice or a cranberry capsule every time he ate. Might want to try the capsules. One warning, if the powder gets out of the capsule, it STAINS!!!

Halise

Thanks for the tip. :)