Bandaging Tips When There Is Lots Of Bleeding

LBass

MoMo has osteosarcoma. The primary tumor is on her left rear leg, just above her foot. At this point, it's about the size of a tennis ball and it's a bloody mess because it has outgrown the skin's ability to heal over it. My vet saw it last Wednesday and started her on antibiotics to treat a secondary bacterial infection--that seems to be working well--and showed me some good bandaging techniques. Her oncologist saw her Monday and unwrapped it to examine it. I asked them to let me sit with them when they bandaged it because I had some additional questions. They didn't let me do that in the end, I think because they unwrapped it in the treatment area and that it bled so much that they couldn't get her over to the exam room where they had me waiting, so they just bandaged it in the treatment area, without me. <_< I asked questions and got some additional suggestions from them but missed what I really needed--how to deal with all the blood.

I'm still struggling with how to get ointment and bandaging on an actively, heavily bleeding, weirdly shaped tumor. She bleeds right through Telfa pads that I'm supposed to be putting ointment on and I'm not really sure that it gets to her usefully at all. I've got the basic layers of the bandage correctly per the oncologist and I've got all the necessary supplies, courtesy of Amazon. I'm looking for any experience from the trenches with bandaging actively bleeding areas.

The oncologist said that Mo was not anemic, which is a relief, considering how much bloody bandaging I'm carrying out to the garbage can each evening.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

If they bandaged it nicely, it would be worth calling them and asking. Don't know if your vet would be able to cauterize it at this stage, or if something like a sulfa powder or gel-type dressing would work to slow things down while you get it bandaged.

I'm sorry you and your girl are having to deal with this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can you wrap a poise pad around it? I've used it on bleeding wounds before. Rocky had something removed from his leg and after we got home a vein started shooting blood. I put a poise pad on it and wrapped vet wrap around that. Those poise pads hold a LOT of liquid. Sorry about your girl :(

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

You might want to look into yunnan baiyo to help stop the bleeding. I haven't used it externally yet for bleeding wounds, but I did administer it orally to Bruiser for hemangiosarcoma and it helped immensely.

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/yunnan-baiyao-to-use-or-not-to-use/

Edited by 4My2Greys

The oncologist gave me some samples of Yunnan Baiyao and I am giving it to Mo. It's hard to tell yet if it's making a difference but I'm all in for trying it. She did mention that the capsules could be opened and the powder put directly on the site but her preference for Mo is oral administration because her tumor/wound is so difficult to clean. Powders seem to goop up with the blood and make a prime location for bacterial growth.

I'm using maxi-pads per the vet and can sure try poise--we've got some left over from my Mother.

Once it's wrapped, the bleeding seems pretty well controlled but the unwrapping to re-bandage manages to pull scabs--in spite of Telfa pads--and start the bleeding all over again. I think one thing I'll try is to place the Telfa pad on top of the Poice or maxi-pad right form the beginning rather than trying to fiddle with building layer up.

I will absolutely call the oncologist for more advice. Just thought I'd see what the wide experience of GT might suggest as well.

Thank you all so much. Mo had an uncomfortable night, but seem better today. Sprier and more interested in things--she ate her breakfast. :yay

Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

To keep the bandage from sticking to wounds, we used to use a giant wad of SSD ointment (silver sulfadiazine), as in @ 1/4" thick. Any antibiotic ointment would do the same, just try putting it on much thicker.

Glad she is feeling better today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Lucy. My heart is breaking for you both.

I wasn't joking when I suggested newborn diapers. I read that somewhere--because of their shape and the fact that her tumor is her foot--they might actually work.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I will give the newborn diapers a try. I hadn't thought about the natural cup shape being helpful but it really might work well.

The ointment I've got for her is silver sulfadiazine, I think. I've been generous with it but maybe not generous enough. I'll it on more thickly.

I might've been exaggerating about 1/4" but not by much.

Hugs.

Lucy, I have no additional advice, just so much love for you both... {{{hugs}}}

Are you changing the bandages daily due to them getting full or just beause the dr said to? I wonder if waiting a bit longer to change them might let the scabs harden and not tear off?? Or change them more frequently before the scabs form?? Just thinking about options.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris, the doctors have said that daily changes are good to keep an eye out for infection, however, after last night, I'll admit that the idea of perhaps leaving it a bit longer had occurred to me. I think I can give the bandage a good sniff regularly for signs of infection and maybe change it every other day. I also like the idea of trying to use a thick layer of the silver sulfadiazine to minimize sticking.

I talked to the oncologist about cauterizing, but it is a really large surface area and getting larger and she didn't think that would work well.

Thank you all so much for the support and suggestions.

{{Lucy}} Woukd Manuka honey be allowed by Mo's doctors? It might help to dry up some of the actively bleeding areas. I'd check with them first of course but worth a try? :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ask your vet about Hema-Block http://www.hemablock.com/

It is a pretty effective blood stopping powder that can be left on the wound. It doesn't have to be removed from the wound like the others. You might also consider "Combat Gauze". There ARE things available if you're talking lots of blood. Your vet probably just doesn't want to be bothered with it. Don't forget to use what pressure you can without hurting her.

A happy update, which is always such a pleasure to make! I believe the Yunnan Baiyao is working beautifully. It seems to have taken it ~ 48 hours to become fully effective but the amount of bleeding is far, far less.

Batmom, a nice thick layer of silver sulfadiazine is helping keep the bandaging from sticking.

Susan, I've ended up with premie diapers and the shape is fantastic for cupping the oddly shaped wound.

I used manuka honey on her toe amputation many years ago and I'll get some and check with the oncologist to see if it would be OK to try.

So, many thanks to all for the advice.

As a "reward" for all your help, I got my sister to take a photo of the monster when I changed the bandage. I think it helps to know your adversary:

23131028_10208012601512165_6503240297059

Oh my Lucy, I knew it was bad...hugs to you and the entire gang. :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Yes, cancer is an ugly disease but Momo, you and your human are fighting it with your beautiful spirits. Sending :grouphug to you and all your family.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Not fair, just not fair that evil O cancer has attacked our friend MoMo's foot. MoMo we are sorry we cant make it go away but know we send you :kiss2 & hope this new treatment makes you feel better.

Daphne & Penny who have their :goodluck 's crossed for you.

Edited by sabrina

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Hmmmm.... Having now seen the tumor :( I think a tiny baby diaper or a small Poise pad might wrap nicely around it.

I've used both on horse fetlocks wich are a similar size/shape

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh Lucy :sad1:grouphug

I don't think I could have even envisioned something like that. My heart goes out to you and MoMo. I'm glad to read that the yunnan baiyao is helping. It was a life-saver for Bruiser many times over. In the end the hemangiosarcoma won, but it gave us many a reprieve until that day.

Oh my. Lucy, you and Momo are in my thoughts and prayers. You are both very brave.

Hugs,
Carol Ann.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.