Unsteady, Knuckling, Weak Back End

5-year old male greyhound with no history of health issues has gradually lost appetite over the past few weeks and is now unsteady when walking, minor dragging of rear paws (almost, but not quite knuckling), has weak back end, wobbly when pooping and when lifting his leg to pee.

Although appetite is poor, all GI appears to be operating within expected parameters (good stool, no diarrhea).

Vet visit this morning, suspects back issues, blood drawn (results tomorrow), meds given for pain, canned food given to stimulate appetite.

His family is worried.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GG

My Current Signature

Whether this is a long term medical issue or only temporary will probably depend on how he responds to the drugs. What is he taking now? Any supplements? Did your vet take any xrays or want to wait and see what happens?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm not a vet, but things that come to mind based on my experience with a greyhound with similar symptoms are lumbosacral stenosis (LS), stroke, meningitis, and degenerative myelopathy. I would get him to a neurologist as soon as possible.

5 years old is young to develop LS, but the symptoms sound similar....the almost knuckling though isn't, that sounds closer to a stroke. In LS you'll see the back end just start to droop when standing, kind of like the back legs are just tired to stand fully. Loss of appetite isn't cool. Was he always a food hound?

It does sound like a spinal, even disc issue to me, which you can't really diagnose without an MRI, and a neurologist would be helpful. Trying Gabapentin to see if there is improvement might be beneficial as it focuses on nerve pain and doesn't conflict much with other meds so might be worth it to try. Sounds like a tough one, keep us posted.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thank you to all that responded.

He deteriorated further throughout the night and we saw the neurologist this morning.

My best buddy passed away this morning in the arms of his family.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. :(

Was there anything that was determined to be the cause prior to his passing? So sad about what happened.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking no matter what, but especially cruel when they're so young. :grouphug

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so sorry for the loss of such a young boy. Was there a diagnosis?

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry. I lost Paddy Mayhem in April at age 7. On April 1 he had his annual wellness exam and nothing was amiss. April 8 he began subtle listing in his hind legs, and after 2 days of no response to meds our vet came on board. Paddy continued to deteriorate until I had no options left and he was pts on April 18. Without a necropsy we would have always wondered; it turned out his young beautiful body was riddled with cancers. It sounds as tho your good boy may have had something similar going on. I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so very sorry. His family must be devastated.

I lost a hound to sudden neurological symptoms--granted that she was 10 not 5--and it was very tough. The emergency vets suspected a brain tumour.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hugs. Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry. I lost Paddy Mayhem in April at age 7. On April 1 he had his annual wellness exam and nothing was amiss. April 8 he began subtle listing in his hind legs, and after 2 days of no response to meds our vet came on board. Paddy continued to deteriorate until I had no options left and he was pts on April 18. Without a necropsy we would have always wondered; it turned out his young beautiful body was riddled with cancers. It sounds as tho your good boy may have had something similar going on. I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Thank you, FiveRooooooers,

I am sorry too for your loss of Paddy. The neurologist was hinting at the very same diagnoses. We did not opt for a necropsy and I'm not even sure one was offered. I'm still a basket case over this.

My Current Signature

First of all, thank you to all who offered advice and condolences.

Our vet suspected LS until I described how he had deteriorated in the one day since he saw him, then the vet changed his tune immediately and referred me to a neurologist who said to bring him in immediately. Of course, in my experience, a neurologist can only give you bad news, as was the case here. My boy was examined and the news was not good. How not good could only be determined with an MRI and considering such rapid decline...

Anyhow, I did the best thing, the only thing, I could do for my best friend and I let him go.

I am grateful that once I made that decision, the neurology team fully supported me. They did not give me any false hope because they had seen this before and they knew how it would go. So, considering the blood test results which showed abnormal but not alarming kidney function, the most likely culprit was brain, kidney, and perhaps other tumors.

His passing was peaceful and he is no longer in pain, and we are coping as best as we can with our loss.

My Current Signature

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eezabiggie

Thank you to all that responded.

He deteriorated further throughout the night and we saw the neurologist this morning.

My best buddy passed away this morning in the arms of his family.

So very sorry, so young.x

I am so very, very sorry your young boy had to leave you. How devastating :( :( :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway