Olewo Carrots

Guest MissEcho1

Guest MissEcho1

Have a new grey with intermittent diarrhea problems. Could be hookworms, although the first test was negative. Waiting on the second test in a couple of weeks. I bought some Olewo Carrots, but I am unsure how to use them. According to the package, for a large dog I can use one tablespoon of the Carrots, then reconstitute it with one cup of water and one teaspoon of oil, and wait ten minutes. I tried that tonight but after about 20 minutes there was still about half of the cup of liquid in the bowl. Should I feed that liquid or drain the carrots and just fed the carrots? Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know about dried carrots but with fresh ones you cook them for about 1 hour (500g carrots/ 1l water). Then you put them through a strainer and then add water until the whole thing is 1 litre again. In the end add a small teaspoon of salt.

Perhaps this can help you.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

we tried that when annie had the same issue. no, luck in my house. you won't go broke purchasing a small bag. but you can try.

you can also have a fecal(don't be surprised if it turns out negative), ask for Flagyl, feed white rice and boiled chicken/turkey/chop meat, try a different food(last resort), eliminate all treats and scraps and additives(see if things clear up with that) or maybe stress induced. ONLY your VET will be able to really solve this problem. Annie was on Flagyl for nearly 6 months, the standard 2 week regime did not help. She was finally diagnosed w/ chronic colitis. It took a while but she's back to normal now. do not hesitate calling your vet.

Edited by cleptogrey

I just warmed in microwave for some seconds. Gets nice and slushy. Stopped using oil the second week. And by the 3rd week all soft stools were gone. Great stuff!

No, I don't use it any more - no need to now that Milo is settled in.

Just use trial and error with water until you find the consistency you like. There's nothing scientific about it. Wetter, dryer, it works the same. Easiest to use less and you can always add more.

If you aren't nuking it it probably takes more than 20 minutes to absorb. I make a batch for covering a number of days (I never measure, just give my dog a big glob of mixed carrots and beets on each feeding) and keep it in the fridge. I try to add the water and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. I too stopped adding oil, since I give it with food, and my girl had pancreatitis from added oils the first year I had her.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I use 1 TBSP carrots and 3/4 cup boiling water from the microwave. Put both in a bowl and cover it. I don't bother with the oil.

Rocket eats 3 smaller meals each day, so he gets 1/3 of the carrots on each meal.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

so they're really just regular carrots they prepare in their way to make them last longer and more convenient... i get carrots from my neighbor who grows them, fresh right out of the ground. fertilised the old fashioned way with horse manure, blood and bone and no poison sprays. (had some purple string beans from him last week)

they're lumpy monsters - he calls the aliens from outer space, rather than nice uniform bland store bought ones. cleaned cooked and and mushed up they are an occasional addon for poppy (& me) in season. i've even got some sliced in the freezer for later on.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

I have used them for 3 years now. It works wonders for my two hounds Carter and Neko. I even bring it along on vacations using hot water and a jar. My hounds like it kind of soupy. They love carrot and beet time. Carter barks and wags his tail.

Olewo is great stuff. I promoted it so much on Facebook and here that the company in the US that sells it (used to order directly from them, now it is thru Amazon) gave me samples to pass out at meet and greets.

so they're really just regular carrots they prepare in their way to make them last longer and more convenient... i get carrots from my neighbor who grows them, fresh right out of the ground. fertilised the old fashioned way with horse manure, blood and bone and no poison sprays. (had some purple string beans from him last week)

they're lumpy monsters - he calls the aliens from outer space, rather than nice uniform bland store bought ones. cleaned cooked and and mushed up they are an occasional addon for poppy (& me) in season. i've even got some sliced in the freezer for later on.

No, this is not correct. There is nothing remarkable about the carrots they originate from. But the thing about how they are prepared is that the cellulose is broken down so that they are fully or much more digestible. Intact vegetables don't get digestively absorbed in the same way. Cooked mashed carrots might be comparable. But I would try the Olewo ones and compare before I jumped to the conclusion that there was no difference. (I actually feed a 50/50 mix of Olewo carrots and beets.) Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I think Judge Judy calls that 'puffing'. not saying they don't work, but the 'testimonials' and claims for unique super powers because of germany's unique super fertile soil remind me of homeopathy and of :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sh0wr7HH8Y

any proper independent testing comparing them to other brands of carrot cooked in a similar manner and mashed/juiced/blended at home?

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.