Sign in to follow this  
gracegirl

Really Worried About The Florida Dogs With Irma Coming

We just adopted Tessie last weekend and she's from Florida. She ran at Naples Ft Myers and Flagler (in Miami). It got me thinking about the hurricane headed that way. I'm praying that all the dogs will be okay.

Introducing Tessie, PK's Cat Island 12/9/13
Jackson the Airedale 12/12/05
Forever missing Grace 2/18/03 - 1/19/13 (RT's Grace, 18156/23B) and Fenway 10/10/06 - 9/25/16 (not registered)

We're in Miami hunkering down waiting for Irma. Please keep us in your prayers

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Definitely will.

I guess it's not feasible to evacuate all those dogs? Really hoping everyone stays safe

------

Jessica

:hope for all the dogs and those staying with them through this monster storm.

I was wondering about you and whether you'd be evacuating. Many prayers coming your way!

17369590311_3d5eeef92f.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo.
Always missing my boys Mud and
Henry

Will do, of course! Please, check in when you can and let us know that you are fine. :grouphug

:hope for all of you in the path of this monster storm.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The race kennels at Derby Lane are evacuating (probably at this point have already done so), which is a first I believe. I have not heard about other places.

Kennel staff stay behind in the kennels with the dogs, they are never left alone. Here is a post a friend recently shared: https://www.facebook.com/sharla.gardinerhays/posts/1540747679301860?pnref=story

Chris Molnar said that the kennels and farms should be safe; the kennel building as built to withstand storms, and if there is flooding muzzled hounds can be doubled up in top kennels; he was more concerned about retired pets. I am still worried, especially about the farms. And about all animals, frankly, it's making me crazy.

In The Pro Greyhound Movement group on Facebook people are offering places for hounds and their families who need to evacuate.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Marilyn Varnberg is staying at her Grey Haven shelter, with help to keep those dogs safe.

Edited by macoduck

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I was thinking about the animals too. I think there is horse racing as well as dog racing in southern Fla, plus some livestock and zoo animals (I remember the zoo animals from Andrew), be pretty hard to evacuate all those animals :(

We are not in the evacuation zone, thank God, although we are a bit concerned about the storm surge

It is not inconceivable that it could reach our area.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I guess it's not feasible to evacuate all those dogs? Really hoping everyone stays safe

Yeah, there is no way to evacuate 7000 or more dogs. As Chris Molnar said the kennels are made to withstand hurricanes and over the years they have. So while there is no 100 percent guarantee you have to feel confident they will withstand another. Trainer or kennel help will hunker down with the dogs and wait. They all have generators and once it is safe they will pull the generator outside and have power to the kennel.

A couple of tracks installed a big generator that will power the whole kennel compound.

Remember just 50 miles makes all the difference in the world. While we see those beautiful and impressive images of the infrared shots that you are seeing the high cloud tops with tremendous amounts of heavy rain that is falling and not the wind. Hurricane force winds usually don't go out from the center more than 50 to 75 miles. you have a much larger area that tropical storm force winds, 39 to 74 mph, go out and those steady winds along with gusts over hurricane force can do a lot of damage.

Hope everyone in Florida stays safe and it looks like Georgia/SC could be next if the projected track is close to right.

Yeah, there is no way to evacuate 7000 or more dogs. As Chris Molnar said the kennels are made to withstand hurricanes and over the years they have. So while there is no 100 percent guarantee you have to feel confident they will withstand another. Trainer or kennel help will hunker down with the dogs and wait. They all have generators and once it is safe they will pull the generator outside and have power to the kennel.

A couple of tracks installed a big generator that will power the whole kennel compound.

Remember just 50 miles makes all the difference in the world. While we see those beautiful and impressive images of the infrared shots that you are seeing the high cloud tops with tremendous amounts of heavy rain that is falling and not the wind. Hurricane force winds usually don't go out from the center more than 50 to 75 miles. you have a much larger area that tropical storm force winds, 39 to 74 mph, go out and those steady winds along with gusts over hurricane force can do a lot of damage.

Hope everyone in Florida stays safe and it looks like Georgia/SC could be next if the projected track is close to right.

Thank you Dick, and to Ducky for the Marilyn update.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Great information, thanks for sharing.

Introducing Tessie, PK's Cat Island 12/9/13
Jackson the Airedale 12/12/05
Forever missing Grace 2/18/03 - 1/19/13 (RT's Grace, 18156/23B) and Fenway 10/10/06 - 9/25/16 (not registered)

We were at Derby yesterday to pick up a new foster. 3 others were pulled that day. Derby is on the edge of Tampabay and could experience surge ( it is A evac). All remaining dogs should be safe and put in upper kennels. It is business as usual ,hot and no rain so far.

Staying put in Port St Lucie, 2 dogs and 2 cats make it haed to find a shelter, so we will buckle down and hope Irma weakens. All good thoughts to all the kennels in FL

That's good news They were running races Wed after 2 when we were at the kennels

Yes, the Wed afternoon card was to be the last.

I guess if there is any good news it's that the Fri 8am intermediate report has the top winds down another 5 mph to 150. While that is still a major hurricane, hopefully those winds come down a little more.

It's funny how 150 or 140 sounds good after the winds were 185.

Guest goofydog2

Saw a report this AM that said Irma is wider than Florida. That's a scary image.

'talked' with Marilyn last evening and they have the old kennel building ready to move in to when the storm gets close. Stocking with supplies today.