Guest RenDez

Hello everyone!

I am writing to seek advice.

My 11 year old magyar agar got very sick (hungarian greyhound and we living in hungary). He is called Buki, just as Bambi (in an other thread) was diagnosed via MRI scan with a brain tumour (probably a meningioma) and hydrocephalus (water on the brain).

The tumor approximately 2cm large. On monday it looked we lost him, he woke up in a terrible condition, couldn't walk and very confused eyes he had, tremor from pain and being scared probably. It was a great shock, the evening before we took a nice walk and he vas happy, well, little running playing as usual. MRI clarified the diagnosis. The doctors helped a lot, they are good to us. They say the tumor too big and too diffusive to be operated.

We started the steroid and he got a lot better, now walks quite fine again and has a great appetite as always. Sleeps even a bit more, and getting all the treat I can give him. I have some time to spend with him at home in the autumn, work at home quite much (not all the time).

I have reed all the comment in the other thread about the same, and it give me some hope to be with him still for a bit. I don't know how to prepare myself to take care as best as possible for him in the time we still can have together. If you have any suggestion how can I do better, or any experience similar to learn from, I am glad to hear.

5 days ago he looked so healthy for his age, he still looks incredible good:

https://www.instagra...p/BYLfrNVgOEc

And an older picture, here he is around 4-5 year old:

30233_1436668992989_1842818_n.jpg?oh=1cf

And many of our nice moments in pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/renatadezso/media_set?set=a.1240125639528.2038039.1120893346&type=3

Edited by RenDez

Hi, I am so sorry to read that your Buki has this terrible illness. The only experience I have of it is with humans and so, apart from steroids and appropriate pain relief, I cannot suggest anything other than taking it each day at a time and making them wonderful days.

There is no blame involved in euthanasia at any time you decide that Buki's quality of life has deteriorated too far. We have an expression: 'cannot see the wood for the trees' which means it is very helpful to get other people's input on how well you and your dog are coping in the bigger picture.

Very handsome dog in the photos.....

I hope others will chime-in with help and support once the day gets going on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

What a beautiful boy!

It's hard to know how fast this disease will progress, so it's best to make your plans now, while you can be more objective, for the eventual end that's coming. That way you don't have to think about it when things are emotional and you're dealing with a very sick dog. Look into your euthanasia options and see what kinds of plans you need to make.

As it progresses you may find a support harness like these useful:

RuffWear Webmaster Hiking harness

http://www.ruffwear.com/30102-web-master-harness

Outward Hound PupBoost Lift Harness

https://www.chewy.com/outward-hound-pupboost-lift-harness/dp/113741

Be aware that behavioral changes may occur as the tumor impacts more of his brain. Some dogs can become quite aggressive. A plastic or wire muzzle can help protect everyone.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry :weep

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Beautiful boy! No medical advice here, just spoil him rotten!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I lost my Shadrach to brain cancer, It only took 2 days for him to run to the bridge. I never had any idea something was wrong until the day before he died. I will say his passing was peaceful as I told him he could run to the bridge to find his family that had gone before him. He just gave a big sigh & that was it. I'm sorry you are facing this.

Our beautiful girl Breeze developed a brain tumor. We didn't know anything until we notice she started bumping into things. The tumor was near her optic nerve and she went blind. She adapted to this, but the neurologist told us that eventually it would grow bigger and may cause seizures. She never had the seizures, but about 4 months after her diagnosis she was in a lot of pain and we had to say goodbye. I am so sorry that you are going through this with your handsome Buki. Show him lots of love until it is his time to go.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

My human son was born with hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and they put a shunt in at one month of age and he is almost 39 yrs old now. If you can get radiation, perhaps you can find out of they put shunts in dogs. That would relieve some of the pressure and damage done by the pressure. A long shot perhaps. My son's shunt drains to his stomach with no problems . Once the blockage is gone, shunts are no longer needed. In my sons case, his blockage went away as it was a hardened blood clot. They left the shunt in even though it is no longer needed. I never heard of this for a pet, but who knows, you can ask if it has ever been done. I hope that you get more time with your grey.